Color graduation on a prim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4265 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm fairly new to building so forgive me if this is too much of a newbie question, or if it has been asked before.

I'd like to build a prim without textures and have the color change along the prim's height, lighter at the top than at the bottom.

Is this doable?

Welcome to the forums, CajunMaster:

I don't think you can get the effect you want without at least applying a greyscale gradient texture to the prim, then using llSetColor to obtain your desired hue.

Under controlled circumstances, a local light could provide gradient illumination to a prim, but the falloff would be circular and other light sources would interfere.

CajunMaster wrote:

Because I didn't know a texture was required, foolish me.

I assume I need a texture that goes from light to dark?  Is there something appropriate in the library?

Most drawing programs have the ability to create a gradient. You'll want one that goes from black to white (or between two shades of grey to your liking). I'm sure there is something like that for sale in SL, but I've no idea where you'd find it. Learning to create and import textures is one of the most rewarding things a new creator can learn, so I encourage you to try!

You'll need a texture that will cover the whole prim. Afterwords use the repeating faces to move it into a single face image on the prim so its the way you wanted it. If if its facing the wrong way you can use the rotation for the texturing on the build menu for the texture tab.

Hope this helps!

... exactly what everyone here said except, make your gradient texture a grey scale rather than any particular color. Once applied to the prim you can now select the color from the prim color selector and it will display as you want with the gradation. The advantage is you only need one texture but have selection of any color.

There's a gradient texture in the LDPW Zindra Building Textures pack available in the "Port of Kama City" on Mosh. It's called "Gradient 1 - black edges, lt gray center", UUID "ba2ad60c-6fed-9813-474e-cb46ce665c06". The virtue of using a pre-existing texture is that viewers might have it cached, although that's fairly unlikely, really.

Also, two drawbacks of that texture. First, it's 512x512, which is huge. (In the bad old days, for no good reason, it took forever to download textures with non-square dimensions.) Instead, a 256x4 texture would be fine for a simple gradient, yet uses two orders of magnitude less download bandwidth and texture memory.

That "256x4"--as opposed to "4x256"--is the second drawback of the Zindra gradient: it varies in the vertical dimension.  Either orientation is fine for painting a texture on a prim, but only the short wide one puts the gradient on the horizontal dimension, and that's necessary if you ever want to use the gradient for texture animation--a handy, zero-sim-lag way of varying surface color or brightness over time.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4265 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.