Land and Objects Sizes

Nikilei

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have bought several prepackaged gardens and several style homes from the marketplace; all were rezzed on my island, and assembled.  The items are always so large compared to the island that i can't use them.  Is there some sizing that I am suppose to be doing?  My avatar is always to scale but I don't know what I am doing wrong with the other items.

Thank you for any help you can give.

5 answers to this question

From what you have said, you aren't necessarily doing anything wrong, per se. You either need smaller homes or a bigger island. Things are made to a large scale mostly, to allow for camera angles and avatar height. 

What you can do if you want, is modify the large homes and make them smaller. If you do, make a copy first so if you mess up you always have a backup. 

Many times, a building will have its footprint listed, or you can measure it yourself and see if it will fit on your land.

• Like 2

I am not sure if you are referring to actual size or scale. If size, the 2 essential things a merchant should include in any product description for the kind of things you are referring to, are land impact value (number of prims) and size. If they don't include that information then ask them or find a merchant that is more helpful.

To then check if the size is OK, before buying, rez a simple prim cube and change it to the size of the item you want to buy and see if it fits.

If you are referring to scale, then I agree with you, some creators are hopeless with their perspective. The only way around that is to actually see the items in SL and not just rely on Marketplace pics.

• Like 2

You BEST bet is not to buy on the Marketplace, but in world. OR go to the Marketplace merchant's demo area inworld if they have one. There are plenty of places that you can see the building before you buy. The other thing to watch is to see if the photos include a person in them (hopefully a normal sized person :D) and that would help you.  

Some home builders (especially beginning ones) make things SO VERY LARGE that it is rediculous. You may have perchased some of those. Also check the ratings of the build you are considering if there have been stars given and read the comments (sometimes the rating given is low just because the items didn't arrive -- not the merchant's fault).

Good luck. Sure there is a house out there for you.

• Like 2

When buying a house on the marketplace (which I would not recommend, it's always better to visit inworld), in the house description, the FOOTPRINT (= size) should be always mentioned (i.e. 30 x 40) as well as the number of prims.  It gives you an indication of how much space the home will take on your land. If the seller does not indicate the footsize, don't buy it. I wouldn't trust a merchant not mentioning these informations in his ad. 

• Like 2

When I used ot sell prefabs years ago I always listed on the display box the size of the the building like 20x20 or whatever ir was. In my notecard I suggested that before they buy a person should rez a cube on thier land and then stretch it out until it exactly covers the land area they wish to use for thier house. You can then read your own size of land right in the edit widow.

DOing this means you wont buy a house too big or small for your property.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4242 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.