Moving away from SL

Tamara Artis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perrie Juran wrote:

I live up in the sky and know how quickly someone could enter my "air space" before even realising they had so I allow a very generous amount of time.

If I lived on the ground I would not be as generous.

Nod.

What I do is confine my orb to the exact insides of my building. You can bounce against the walls to your hearts content, but go inside them and bam - 0 warning TP home.

The doors are locked, and the walls solid - so you have to get in there on purpose.

By contrast I have an open balcony like area on the floor below, and that is outside the orb. Being open air, I figure if I'm home I can toss someone who I don't want around. If I'm not home, if I wanted it private I would have put a wall around it. :)

Deltango Vale wrote:

What drives me crazy - what has been driving me crazy for five years - is the failure of Linden Lab to realize the true potential of Second Life. Unlike CCP Games, Linden Lab appear to be a bunch of rank amateurs hellbent on messing up what could easily be the biggest thing since the widespread adoption of the internet. The future is virtual worlds. It's blindingly obvious to everyone except Linden Lab, who are instead tinkering with petty projects while the golden goose is dying of neglect.

Its run by tech people who live in a bubble like echo chamber. They don't "get outside" enough to even know what their own customers use it for.

If they did, we'd be getting a whole LOT of advanced RLV, XXX-poseball action options, and the rest of us would get kicked to the curb. :P

Ok, maybe not. But still... we'd sure be getting better tools for socializing IN-WORLD, and better useability in things like the controls, maybe even key-bind remapping, motion that was easier to do, and so on.

And even when not getting features - we'd be getting more lip service in terms of public relations, marketing, and attempts to lure in users that would be more naturally engaged in the format: amatuer &/or unsigned musicians, writers, digital artists, alt-groups (alternative culture folks), liberal-arts majors (philosophy, poli-sci, language, etc), etc... The kinds of people we tend to meet inworld when meeting someone who's been around for more than 2 years (ie: the sorts who last, rather than the tourists).

They have no clue who actually uses this thing... despite having reams of data about us, they show all the signs of people that don't analyze their own data. One could do something as simple as looking at the 20 most popular venues and the 20 most common entries in the interests section of profiles... and come to radically different opinions than they have about where SL should be putting its marketing and development resources.

- And that example is still shoddy analytics work. The data is much better than just that, and could be easily broken apart for some amazing"big data" (buzzword... /sigh) results.

Heck, they could make money hand over fist just giving external analytics firms access to anonymized version of this data. The awareness that for example: furries tend to be FPS gamers - that's money in the bank for an analytics company helping a game developer plan future projects.

Being able to link things like "female users often listen to music in venues of genre X, male users, genre Y" - $$$ data.

LLs seems clueless about its product, its product's potential growth, and its products potential value. The real value here is not in the land or the skimming of the MP... but just in the relational info from looking at what people freed from their 'meat identity' prefer to engage in.

- The very fact that we have privacy here, and that the data to be gathered would be private, makes it valuable, because nowhere else in the world of Big Data can you find out what people really think and feel. Everywhere else, your data comes from people who are screening their actions.

But that's still just one of many untapped potentials here.

Pamela Galli wrote:

Is EVE Online a game?  I looked at it and did not see any work opportunities. 

Yeah, it's an MMO set in space. No opportunities to create or import original content though. There is a way to make real USD from EVE but you need high level characters and the ability (in game skills), blueprints and resources to manufacture the high price tag items. There is then a very convoluted process one can go through to convert your game money into real money, however it violates EVE's TOS in the process.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.