Moving away from SL

Tamara Artis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3924 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just ignore the people who say SL is dying, they have been saying it for years.

SL is changing dramatically, new things are coming, it is improving and there are still lots of people doing lots of things.

I've been here for over 3 years and am loving it, having lots of fun, creating new things with mesh, pathfinding and all the other new things we've been given.

As SL remains fun for you, stick around.

I was at IMVU before I came to SL. It has advantages as well as disadvantages like all sites do. I find that while its much easier to build your circle of friends on IMVU, I still find SL to be the most exhilirating.  As far as SL "dying"...to me its one of those analogies that I have to see it to believe it.  In addition to that, as with all virtual worlds, it does not matter where you go because the dependency is on you creating your own happiness and gaining the best out of it while it does last. :matte-motes-smitten:

Tamara Artis wrote:

So.. seems SL is dying and I am seeing people giving advices to move to another online world. I would be happy if some of you had any suggestions or experiences to share:)

Thank you in advance!

If you read the forums you'll see a lot of problems with now with bombarding people with excessive bandwidth. this has made people not use SL, so they've been looking elsewhere. As one (or 2 because I have a partner) who have just cancelled membership and tier, there is life after SL. There are a large selection of other worlds available and the only reason stopping them from competing with SL is the people. As more people go to them. Sl with have more competition. We have registered with 2. If I name them I have no doubt I'll have my post removed - but in answer to the question - there is life after sl.

Ohh I didn't think of that... Maybe I should go on SLU and post this there;)

btw I was curious and went to check one, its kinda bad when you login and noone knows you, you have no money (freebies were  not so bad but I guess everyone had them) and some guy sent me an IM saying hes crawling up my legs! Ewwwww! I loged off lol

Is SL dying? There is a downward trend on many things, and while I can see how such things as Mesh and Pathfinding can make a difference, they haven't been well done.

It's not quite three years for me, and I admit, Jo, I'm not the same sort of user that you are. With the way things are going, I am more and more inclined to give up my Premium status. I paid, and I hoped for some technical problems to improve. I paid, and they didn't improve. Some of them get worse.

What, I wonder, do I really get for that little patch of land I get? What do I use it for?

What I get from SL are the social interactions, the people I hang out with. I'd be happy without Mesh, without Pathfinding, . I'd be happy if they'd spent time and effort fixing the old problems, which they seem to have not fixed in three years, and which seem worse than I have ever experienced.

We're stuck with decisions that were taken a decade ago. SL may have some advantages still, but somebody else might take the idea, and write their own code, and not be tied down by those old choices.

SL might be the Visicalc of virtual worlds.

Yes, I've still very happy with SL, very busy, making lots of stuff.
And even if there was no social interaction at all, I'd still use SL simply for the joy of building stuff.

But the community I've build and the sim I manage are so much fun, that all the SL problems really melt away in comparison.

And the improvements, such as mesh, have had a HUGE impact on SL to me, making it a LOT better.

But yes, I very rarely go anywhere else in SL, so I don't reallly know what it is like for other people.

I just know that our sim has been doing well and is doing better all the time and now with the inworld mesh builder I bought, I have been building new stuff like mad for days and nights now.

I tried one or two of those "other" worlds you are thinking of Tamara. They weren't really "bad". But were not as far along in their "maturing" as virtual worlds if we can call it that? The potential and tools were there or being worked on , and even some makers from here were migrating there. There were, as you experienced "freebies". Still, because Secondlife is sort of the "granddaddy" of all of them (and that might be a metaphor to indicate some literal example in "how to" as well as to refer to the chrono age of secondlife), it is more .....vibrant?......developed?.....in Secondlife.   There ARE real money costs in SL, and not all of them do I appreciate or agree with. However there are those costs in those other worlds too :/  So which do you go with then? The upstart that still has to gain all the bells and whistles? Or the more developed of the two?  And I say that with the disclaimer that I'm aware I also did not personally witness at least one virtual world that has been in existence for what sounds like quite a few years and may very well be as far along the world-growth path. 

Just some stuff to toss around as you think it through.

I've tried a number of other virtual worlds. Some opensim, some of those entirely web based worlds. I keep coming back to Second Life. Actually, I never left Second Life, I just went exploring other virtual worlds. I haven't seen any opensim that was anywhere near as polished and complete as Second Life. None of the ones that run in a web browser are able to be anywhere near as advanced.

In response to someone else, I don't know anyone who doesn't have a bandwidth cap (in the 80GB to 300GB a month range).

Like all other optional activities I strongly suspect that SL is suffering due to the overall economy. When your funds are limitted, $15 a month can make a big difference. Even with a free account, a computer that is capable of running SL may be out of some people's reach. I suspect when we see real economic recovery, we will also see growth in Second Life.

Tamara Artis wrote:

So.. seems SL is dying and I am seeing people giving advices to move to another online world. I would be happy if some of you had any suggestions or experiences to share:)

Thank you in advance!

hi Tamara :)

iv only been in SL for a ltl over a year so i dont really know if its dying or not .. but i will say that in just a year iv seen a lotuv things go downhill .. this forum for example .. & i know that my sisters are always talkinga bout how much better it was back 4 - 5 yrs ago when they were newbies .. i know that LL laid off 30% of their staff in '10 & closed their Singapore & other offices .. & now ppl are really up in arms cuz theyre killing the JIRA process .. so i dunno .. SL seems to be in decline but is it terminal decline .. i guess time will tell

theres this guy i know from SL & from FB who is all into openism .. he says that he was 1uv the Minecraft developers .. & hes always trying to get me to explore other virtual worlds besides SL .. so far iv pretty much resisted .. i love SL but dont care for LL much .. id love to find an alternative to SL that wasnt run by a greedy corporation w/ a God complex .. some ppl say that when they go to other worlds theyre deserted .. well .. i spent yesterday exploring sims in SL .. went to some absolutely gorgeous nature or elven or garden themed sims .. & i think i met one other avatar the entire afternoon ... so if ppl say that alternative virtual worlds are deserted .. i say that so is SL becoming more & more deserted these days .. in just my 1 yr iv seen SOOoooo many nice places go ~poof~  .. including my 1st home sim Seaside Rendezvous .. which was gorgeous & cool & we had so many fun parties there & had so much fun !!  & now Seaside simply no longer exists ~sigh~  so .. yeah .. i think that SL may be dying

please let us know if you find a better world .. thanks!! :matte-motes-inlove:

Jeanne

JeanneAnne wrote:

Tamara Artis wrote:

Thank you in advance!

hi Tamara
:)

iv only been in SL for a ltl over a year so i dont really know if its dying or not .. but i will say that in just a year iv seen a lotuv things go downhill .. this forum for example .. & i know that my sisters are always talkinga bout how much better it was back 4 - 5 yrs ago when they were newbies .. i know that LL laid off 30% of their staff in '10 & closed their Singapore & other offices .. & now ppl are really up in arms cuz theyre killing the JIRA process .. so i dunno .. SL seems to be in decline but is it terminal decline .. i guess time will tell

theres this guy i know from SL & from FB who is all into openism .. he says that he was 1uv the Minecraft developers .. & hes always trying to get me to explore other virtual worlds besides SL .. so far iv pretty much resisted .. i love SL but dont care for LL much .. id love to find an alternative to SL that wasnt run by a greedy corporation w/ a God complex .. some ppl say that when they go to other worlds theyre deserted .. well .. i spent yesterday exploring sims in SL .. went to some absolutely gorgeous nature or elven or garden themed sims .. & i think i met
one
other avatar the entire afternoon ... so if ppl say that alternative virtual worlds are deserted .. i say that so is SL becoming more & more deserted these days .. in just my 1 yr iv seen SOOoooo many nice places go ~poof~  .. including my 1st home sim Seaside Rendezvous .. which was gorgeous & cool & we had so many fun parties there & had so much fun !!  & now Seaside simply no longer exists ~sigh~  so .. yeah .. i think that SL may be dying

please let us know if you find a better world .. thanks!! :matte-motes-inlove:

Jeanne

Ha! no more than id posted this i saw an ad on FB for IMVU .. maybe ill try it!

Jeanne

There's different virtual worlds to explore, but whether they're comparable to SL, that's up for debate. I suppose it depends on what you expect to get out of a virtual world.

For myself, I love the high degree of avatar customization (clothes, hair, skin, etc), and so far there are not better alternatives for that then SL. While mesh is not perfect, I absolutely love it.

I'm certain with some of the new changes that LL has proposed some residents will drop off, that's to be expected and LL is probably well aware of that. So it's not surprising those people may be decrying the end of SL altogether when it's really just the end of SL how they once knew it.
Nothing in the RL world stays the same, so it's foolish to execpt Second Life to stay the same.

WolfBaginski Bearsfoot wrote:

Is SL dying? There is a downward trend on many things, and while I can see how such things as Mesh and Pathfinding can make a difference, they haven't been well done.

It's not quite three years for me, and I admit, Jo, I'm not the same sort of user that you are. With the way things are going, I am more and more inclined to give up my Premium status. I paid, and I hoped for some technical problems to improve. I paid, and they didn't improve. Some of them get worse.

What, I wonder, do I really get for that little patch of land I get? What do I use it for?

What I get from SL are the social interactions, the people I hang out with. I'd be happy without Mesh, without Pathfinding, . I'd be happy if they'd spent time and effort fixing the old problems, which they seem to have not fixed in three years, and which seem worse than I have ever experienced.

We're stuck with decisions that were taken a decade ago. SL may have some advantages still, but somebody else might take the idea, and write their own code, and not be tied down by those old choices.

SL might be the Visicalc of virtual worlds.

(Emphasis mine)  I've been in SL 5+ years and I can personally say that this past year has been disastrous in many ways as compared to the past 4.  The Merchant Forums, although perhaps not interesting to those who do not have SL businesses, are comprised of people, many of whom make their full-time or good part-time income within SL, and thus stay aware of trends that could impact their businesses.  In a related thread to this one:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Merchants/Stunned/td-p/1661335

...it is noted, as it has been at various times on those forums, that 1800 sims (I'm assuming estate sims) were abandoned last year and it is reported that 800 more have been given up in the last 2 months.  Anyone can travel around mainland and see that many, if not most, of the individual sims have huge portions for sale, many being sold by LL for 1.0L sqm - previously abandoned land.

I'm not saying this is the death knell of SL, but with people giving up their sims, merchants closing down businesses (and thus giving up sims) which is part of the lifeblood of LL's income (selling land and lindens so people can buy stuff) - SL *is* shrinking.  Two years ago LL laid off 30% of their staff, approximately 100 people.  The issue is how long can LL as a corporation stay profitable.

Rodvik came from a gaming background and it has been very evident that he has been moving SL toward more of a "gaming" type platform - examples being Linden Realms, pathfinding, and offering MMORPG type "exclusive items" for becoming a Premium member.  SL may survive, but it may be a very different SL from when I and many began years ago.

Curious Hazelnut wrote:

In response to someone else, I don't know anyone who doesn't have a bandwidth cap (in the 80GB to 300GB a month range).

This bandwidth cap is apparently dependent on the internet provider.  I live in the US and my provider does not have a bandwidth cap; however, I've read on the forums of many other people in the US with internet providers that do have caps.  I pray my provider does not go that route.

My intention was to see if any of you tried other virtual worlds and how it is there, your experiences and so on, not because I'm lazy to try it myslef but because there are many and I like to hear other people's experiences. But now, it looks like the whole discussion went in other direction; is SL dying? I don't know but if it is then I'm sure some other will replace it. 

Tamara Artis wrote:

My intention was to see if any of you tried other virtual worlds and how it is there, your experiences and so on, not because I'm lazy to try it myslef but because there are many and I like to hear other people's experiences. But now, it looks like the whole discussion went in other direction; is SL dying? I don't know but if it is then I'm sure some other will replace it. 

In direct answer to your question, I have tried out two other virtual worlds.  One is very similar to SL, but does not have a physics engine in place yet, pose balls are still the only method to sit or be animated, scripts are "iffy," etc.  Many SL merchants/content-creators went to that VW two years ago when LL made a very unpopular new rule that affected content creators.  Some left SL entirely and others set up shop there as well as keeping their SL businesses in case something happened to SL.  The population is still largely comprised of merchants for that reason.  I initially had a small shop there while still remaining largely in SL...but that VW is pretty much "owned" by one person and if you get on her bad side, it's not pretty.  I did so by trying to point out in their forums that by bashing SL constantly, they could keep interested people from SL from giving their vw a try and said that many people enjoyed both worlds.  One resident in particular loved to post "Hate SL" threads.  When I responded to him, civilly and politely, that continuing to hate on SL could have the opposite effect of what he wanted (getting others to go there) he told me, "If you like SL so much, then leave here."  I later sent an IM to him saying, "You know what, I think I'll take your advice."  I was promptly IM'd by the world's "owner" accusing me of "harrassment."  It was then that I realized the wisdom of LL not getting involved in resident-to-resident disputes.  I will not inhabit that virtual world because I don't like one person having the ultimate "power" over its residents.

The role play group that I initially came to SL with over 5 years ago have now relocated to OSGrid because they could have as many sims as they want (they now have 13 for their rp area) instead of paying expensive tier for land in SL.  OSGrid also resembles SL but there is no monetary system so everything has to either be created by each resident, or by finding content creators who offer their items for free.  If SL folds, this is where I will likely go as I can build pretty much everything I would "need" in the way of housing and furnishings and know enough about creating clothing that I could hone my skills in that area.

I have heard others speak of IMVU as appealing largely to the younger set.  The avatars are anime-looking and there is what sounds like a complicated system to selling anything there.  However, I have no interest in IMVU so have never been there personally.

Tamara Artis wrote:

Thank you in advance!

I don't think SL is dying, but there have been rather too many changes this year, and a lot do not seem to be for the better (in my opinion). 

I tried IMVU, and did not like it at all.  It did not have anything near the qualities I want in a virtual world.  Inworldz is so similar to Second Life, but the version it was in 2008, and that's depressing. 

You just hang on in here, Tamara, until the last light goes out.  Which it will for anyone with lower-end computers, as more and more we get graphically challenged. 

Every hobby/interest/appliance has a shelf life.  Enjoy what you can salvage from your own Second Life, that'd be my advice.

Echo Hermit wrote:

until the last light goes out.  Which it will for anyone with lower-end computers, as more and more we get graphically challenged. 

my old computer wasnt "lower-end" .. it was just .. old

so i got a new higher-end computer built & guess what?  it gets hot!!

i dont think the graphics are going to get any better than they are until hardware engineers find a better way of dissipating heat .. pcs are going to have to come w/ radiators or something .. be4 we see any more big changes in graphical realism

Jeanne

Going into an alternative grid takes an adventurous attitude and the creative desires to make something better.  SL is by far the largest virtual world out there, that is obvious.  However, the prices for sims in SL are extremely high, and with the world economy as it is, money should matter to some.  Are the worlds like Virtual Highway up to par with SL?  In some areas, no.  In others yes.  And in still others, they offer things you can't get in SL.  The largest drawback is people not supporting the expansion of these alternatives.  If they are all satisfied with the performance and service of SL, and think the prices of sims are just fine, then they will stay there and support the Lindens.  If they feel $295 USD is a bit much to pay for a sim, they will look elsewhere.  However, it is the large content creators who control the success or failure of a grid.  As long as they refuse to take their products and creations outside of SL, they are helping SL to maintain their control of the industry.

As far as crashing and outages, I experience them more in SL than in Virtual Highway.  Is it due to the small numbers?  Possibly.  However, it is also due to the size and power of servers, and the load on each of those servers.  It does make a difference.  Also, the personal interest shown by the owners of a grid affects how you feel if you do have a problem.
 The new alternatives are there.  And, for the age of them are far advanced from where SL was at their age.  And, the prices make them even more desirable.

i've been holding out to go back on the grid until i hear the bandwidth thing is cured..

pretty much been on summer break more than anything..but also have been looking into other worlds..

there is one i have really been checking out which still needs some good improvements..but i hear they are coming in their next client they are pushing for it..

it's called utherverse..

i'm sure people will probably say..omg!! sex grid lol

well ya there is a lot of that stuff..but there is lots of other things there as well..

there is an economy and shopping and other things to do..and lots more things when they get their new client i think at the beginning of next year..

i'm still giving it a test more or less..

but it's not so bad really..something to split my time with sl when times get boring in it..

which they tend to do when it comes time for my summer break..but hopefully  the bandwidth thingy will not be a problem when fall comes around..

i usually start to miss sl around then hehehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3924 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.