SL Viewer constant crashing (HELP please)

Crissy Draper

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm just about given up trying to figure this out on my own. Every 4-5 minutes after starting SL it crashes. I've tried tweaking every single graphic setting to see what causes it.. disable VBO, anti-aliasing, lighting & shadows, depth of field. Setting the graphics to low/medium SEEMS to fix it but after 30-40 minutes it still finds a way to crash on me.

Specs:

i7-920 cpu

2x EVGA GTX560 TIs in SLI

6gb RAM

Windows 7

Drivers are up to date. I tried beta drivers/alternatives and no luck. Anyone having this problem or know of any fixes? I can post crash logs if it will help.

Have no idea why you are crashing, but have you considered using a different viewer? Some are better than others, so it may take trying a few before you find one your computer is happy with. Good Luck.

Star

PS: Could be a graphic card issue. When mine started dying, had all kind of trouble until my computer would not start windows at all. Installing a new graphic card, it booted rigth up into windows and no more problems. Knocks on wood.

Did you try searching the forum for 'viewer crash' or similar?
You are not the first.
This question pops up again and again and has been answered hundreds of times.

If that doesn't help search the JIRA/Bugtracker for 'viewer crash'

I had a similar problem and it didn't go away until I reverted the computer and win7 to the manufacturer's settings:)

Crissy Draper wrote:

So I'm just about given up trying to figure this out on my own. Every 4-5 minutes after starting SL it crashes. I've tried tweaking every single graphic setting to see what causes it.. disable VBO, anti-aliasing, lighting & shadows, depth of field. Setting the graphics to low/medium SEEMS to fix it but after 30-40 minutes it still finds a way to crash on me.
 I can post crash logs if it will help.

I looked at the crash logs your viewer uploaded.  I can't see the exact problem, but it appears that it may have something to do with a bad texture on some wearable.  You might try setting your graphics preferences low enough to allow yourself to get logged in, then change what you are wearing to some safe stock outfit from the Library to see if that makes it more stable.  If so, try adding one item at a time from your previous outfit and run for a half hour or so with your normal graphics settings for each item.  If you find the one that crashes you, please add a comment with the UUID of the item to this bug report:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-29518

Oz Linden wrote:

Crissy Draper wrote:

I can post crash logs if it will help.

I looked at the crash logs your viewer uploaded.  I can't see the exact problem, but it appears that it may have something to do with a bad texture on some wearable.  You might try setting your graphics preferences low enough to allow yourself to get logged in, then change what you are wearing to some safe stock outfit from the Library to see if that makes it more stable.  If so, try adding one item at a time from your previous outfit and run for a half hour or so with your normal graphics settings for each item.  If you find the one that crashes you, please add a comment with the UUID of the item to this bug report:

Thanks for the replies everyone but I think Oz figured it out. I went into the developer menu-->avatar-->character tests-->test female which reset my entire avatar to default/library textures and for about 45 minutes now I haven't had a single crash. I'm going to slowly start adding some of the textures/skins/items I regularly wear and see what may be causing the crashes. I have a feeling it might be one of the alpha textures (I typically have a few alpha textures stacked/added on top of each other). I'll post on Jira when I have a better idea.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also experiencing constant crashing to the point I am considering abandoning SL. I have tried several viewers but I am convinced perhaps the greatest problem of the instability is memory leaks. All these viewers seem to be based on the same ending and all of them made with C++ which is not only prone but known to suffer from memory leaks (not the language but the applications built with the language).

Or maybe none of these browsers are stable on Windows 64-bits platforms but are more stable on 32-bit platforms.

Perhaps if the viewer(s) were made with some managed framework like .NET they would be more stable. Perhaps for a future generation...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.