Name2Key?

Rolig Loon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What are people using for Name2Key, now that w-hat has bit the dust?  I have tried Maeva Anatine's script at

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Name2Key_in_LSL

and Takat Su's version at

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Takat_Su/Name2Key

without any luck. Both kick up errors parsing the HTML results.  I could spend hours trying to figure out what I'm looking for (if it's there) but this is not my strong suit.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

The ones I use are a backdoor to SL search: 

http://vwrsearch.secondlife.com/client_search.php?session=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&q=Darkie%20Minotaur

I still use w-hat.com

http://w-hat.com/name2key?terse=1&name=Darkie%20Minotaur

I didn't know that it's suposed to have stopped working

And finally, I use

http://cyber.caworks-sl.de/name2key/n2k.php?name=Darkie%20Minotaur

All three seem to work - at least with my name

ETA:

I use them from within a php script and parse the results there

Yeah, I should clarify.....   W-hat still works, but it has always been weakest with new SL names.  Since all of the people who used to maintain that external database were banned from SL last year, its database is really way out of date.  It's not much use if you're writing a script to grab griefer UUIDs.  Those guys are usually short-timers.

I'll give cyber.caworks a try.  Thanks, Darkie.

Is the vwsearch method allowed? I mean, if you put hundreds of names or even thousands via making in world devices wouldn't LL put a plug in it and stop your device or IP from accessing it?

Not saying it would, should or must...just wondering. I don't wish to rock the boat or upset SL and such, or at least would not want to rely on it knowing that it may get stopped somehow, even if I and many others use it with a slow request as to not cause harm. Some don't know or figure it is simply got gobs of bandwidth, which it might have!! I just remember some forums have issues with search, and some websites are so slow with searching. So...yeah, it would be like to know what LL's take is on the usage. Nice to know and have some guidelines so as to not cause an upset.

Python code for a server that runs on a google app cloud thingy was on the wiki here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Takat_Su/Name2Key The python code is supposed to drop right into Googles app offering and you set it up to run, it uses vwsearch and not a third party database. I don't think google charges unless you get heavy traffic, then they want some money. I also don't know if any competitors are around, though I imagine by this time there may be. The only alternative I can see, in the past, was to set up a site that runs PHP or python and then try to adapt it all to work for you. This solution with google seems the simplist, besides just buying one from an in world vendor. But, they most likely use one of the 3-4 that whee around. There was at least one more around...something fox? I dont' remember, but maybe the avatar or company who ran it had fox in the name. hhhm.

There used to be third party viewers that would show UUID's, but the viewer changed and I am not sure because I haven't used so many of them nor looked for this feature. You may also find a way to use grease monkey, or some other webbrowser to code it up easily enough. I don't know, I looked at this stuff a long time ago and got a bit stuck on how to go about it and wondered if it would get blocked.

Really, I would think this type of thing would be through an API. So, I don't know if demand would mean it went to that in the end. But, maybe I worry to much.

Darkie Minotaur wrote:

Actually, for the vwsearch it seems to be the case that you cannot call it from an LSL script anymore - the call will return an 403 error - which usually means "Access denied". If you call it from outside SL, it still works fine.

Yup.  That's what I'm getting.  Not much good for calling from a LSL script.

Darkie Minotaur wrote:

Actually, for the vwsearch it seems to be the case that you cannot call it from an LSL script anymore - the call will return an 403 error - which usually means "Access denied". If you call it from outside SL, it still works fine.

Yeah, I wonder if they may do this on a IP by IP basis though. So, I dont' want to be all like "us this it is great!" and then people get into trouble! lol. But, yeah...a few times a minute for a few minute doesn't seem more thann you would do with by hand and copy and pasting, right? So, you may quickly learn a tiny bit of python, set it to not search to much and get by. But, then again....maybe they block all IP's from googles app service for all I know! lol. I just vaguely remember the tny vauge bits I learned about this, so sorry if I sound to noobish about it and am putting anyone off trying. If you mimic normal usage I doubt LL woud hate you and block you though...right?

• 3 years later...

Ok, you certainly can NOT call vwrsearch (or any other REST, SOAP, or similar function) from an LSL script.  The reason given is that the simulators are _inside_ the LL firewalls, meaning that they can access all sorts of things they shouldn't be allowed to.  The answer is to reflect it off something external to SL, which is what many of the so-called servers do.  However, there is another way to do it.  I'll post up a new version that doesn't rely on having your own PHP code somewhere nor the Google App servers. 

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/N2K

(Improved someone else's idea)

steph Arnott wrote:

you are replying to a post thats four yeas ago.

Yes, indeed, and a lot has changed in four years.  I think N2K is the best option we have now for doing a Name to Key search, but it was not available then. Even N2K, though, has its limits.  It will not find recent newbies reliably, and it doesn't do well with people who have elected not to show in Search.  Linden Lab has changed its API several times over the years, and several people have taken a run at creating independent databases. 

Hehehe ... A function like that could be handy for several applications. Fortunately, you can't put odd high-bit characters into login names, so we have been spared that problem for Name2Key.  I sometimes wish we could decipher Display Names, though.  :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.