Marketplace update and sales dropping

Zhoie Zimermann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't follow the posts a lot so forgive me if this topic has been posted or answered before a million times. But...why is it whenever LL updates marketplace the sales drop literally the very next day and stay that way for days.... I saw the updates coming and i said to my husband..oh LL is updating MP..you can expect a HUGE fall tomorrow. Sure enough sales dead ever since......

--||-

For a long time after the update, I couldn't get past the 1st search. I enter a word to search, then get a response, but then to go to any next pages or increase the number of items shown returned an HTTP error message. It has only just started working again for me, but how many hours lost is that ! Certainly if I encounter problems, I'm not going to risk buying anything.

I noticed on answers, someone else saying the same thing. I use ie9 and some say that is an issue for Marketplace.

Mal

ps I just noticed this on Answers too -

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Shopping/Marketplace-shoppingcarterror/qaq-p/1628827

it dose seem on updates sales get wonky,but I will also say latly my numbers are so up and down its really looking more like a slow in over all buying then a update issue.

TO BAD THEY ARE NOT DOING 4TH REPORTS SO WE COULD FIGURE THIS OUT MORE!!!!

I really hate they are not doing them any more as i could track real ups and downs and bugs in the MP using those reports :(

The last market place update happened at the same time as a 7 hour rolling restart of the main server group which may have added to fewer people shopping, and the new server changes changed a lot so people may be looking in to that or fixing things that got borken, all so new record low for concurrency in the last few days.

http://gridsurvey.com/economy.php

If they were doing the rolling restarts at same time they also warn residents about making purchases. enough people might actually listen to warning to make a noticable drop in sales.

For me my sales seems to spike at certain times then go back to normal/slow :P

I think the spike times are when my  products are occasionally allowed off the last pages and get bumped up in search and can compete with some of the more well established vendors. Then after a couple days of hearing the CHA CHING thing its back to normal :P

People aren't just still having problems; they're also having NEW problems.

So...what is the upside of the "maintenance"?

And WHY have "maintenance" at all if there is no upside?

Yes, of course, there's an upside for someone or they would just roll it back to remove the new problems.

So who stands to benefit both from continuing the old problems and from introducing the new problems?

Would that not be the same person or persons who are in the position to decide that there will be no roll-back?

How much easier could this possibly be to understand?

I think that the owner of the SLM is stealing from the SLM's users. 

Untrue?

OK, if it were true, what would be different from what we see now?

Anything?

I think I'm getting a clue about why sales drop after an update: the item loose ''search-rank" after an update, and this rank comes only back after a few days.

I conclude this from an experiment I was doing with an alt. This alt has just 3 items for sale on the marketplace. The item are ten days on the marketplace now. For the main keyword they have to compete with about 250 other items. (All three have the same main keyword).

Item A is priced 50 L$, item B is priced 40 L$ and item C is priced 30 L$.

Item A became a 'hit'. Within 8 days item A showed up as number 1 when is searched by relevance for the main keyword, item B showed up at place 6, and item C on place 7. It took longer for item B and C to climb up in search rank.

Then we had the marketplace update, and then I saw this happen when I searched by relevance for the main keyword:
Item A sunk to place 2 of first page. Item B and C fell up the first page (96 items shown) completely. They seemed to be back on place where there were right at the moment I placed them on the marketplace.

Now we are one or two days further, and now the search rank is almost back on where it was before the update: Item is on place 2 now, item B is on place 5 and item C on place 6.

So from what I observe I think that during an update, the marketplace rolls back to an "old search ranking point". Then later when the update is done, the search ranking is recalculated, and the items appear again on the place where they were befor the roll back, I think it also takes the sales in account that were made during the update and the roll back. It seem to take a few day before the search rank of the complete marketplace is recalculated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4342 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.