Memory allocation

Lydia Craig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I just encountered an interesting discovery that needs to be addressed by someone in an Official capacity.  It seems it is not taking around five time the memory to run an avi that it took prior to the restarts. Does this mean LL is going to be upping the base requirments for or computers or will something be done to bring this more under control.  This though is solid proof that Pathfinding, contray to LL's previous statement is indeed using far more resources and that at least some of these are but passed off to our computers.   This raises some interesting questions about what else is going on with Pathfinding that LL is not telling us.

this is happening to myself as well as a friend of mine when we are in my skybox/region i rent on mainland its so bad that we get to the point we cant even tp. places that arent on mainland seem to be okay though so we are just hopeing that things will get better and i can go back to my house and relax lol

Can you give us some more detail about the chages your seeing, how does it compare to this.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Rendering_weight

My base avatar is still correct.  I have no idea what a box or torus weight was before the roll out, but one thing noticed is that changing the physics shape type doesn't change the value of the avatar render weight.  I have no Idea if that changed with the roll out.  I tested this by attaching a link set with a box as root and 2 torus as child prims, first all set to prim, and then the 2 torus set to none, and then all set to convex hull.  When I first read your post I was hoping we could use the new LI to reduce avatar draw cost but doesn't look like we can. 

Hadn't checked mine in months so don't have any thing to compare to the changes the roll out may have caused.

Giveyou two quick reads on three sims Turnip, zerango and Osbourne Walk.  Turnip went form a memory allocation of about 24 to 25 meg to one of about 125,  zerango jumpped from around 17 to 70 and Osbourne Walk went form 15 to about 50.  Thus it appears that eitehr Pathfinding is taking extra memory resources, or creating an even larger memory leak.  What is certain though is that it seems to be using more memory resources, and this may account for the increasing number of crashes we are seeing.  What remains to be see is if this additional memory usuage lead so any improvement in overall service quality, but given what we have seen so far I am not optimistic.  Also please note that the viewer that measured this does not use mesh and that you can count on mesh placing an even larger demand on memory.

How are you checking memory allocation that's not some thing I have looked at before.

Just checked my frame rate it's around 95/115 fps, then tried adding a path finding creature to my land, and the fps went up to around 122/134 fps, and that's with 14 avatars in the sim.

I can think of a few problems with pathfinding so far, one if your not using a viewer that has the updates for it yet, you wont see the rebake region button if you edit the terrain, the other is that all objects look like they are set to movable or movable phantom by default and supposedly are not as efficient as some of the other settings.  I'm curious about the memory allocation I wonder if part of the shinning project LL, will allocate more memory to each sim instead of just stuffing more sims per new server.

Had to switch viewer to find the memory allaction. the region I'm in is at 214.5MB with 10 people in the sim, went to a empty sim and it was 40.0 MB.  I'm wondering how the combined effects of pathfind, project shining, and region idling, have on all of this, or will.  It sounds like a region can have more then it's normal resources and that more might be being done server side or will be, all so the new more powerfull servers this year.  Lately I'm having problems with teleporting and crashes but thats been going on for me for a few weeks now.

The standard viewer shows it in the Statistics bar (Control-Shift-1), under Simulator / Physics Details / Memory Allocated.

I'm in a *very* busy sim right now, and it's showing 33.1MB... so whatever makes it go up, it's not per-avatar, at least not in this server version (Second Life RC Magnum 12.08.06.263116).

Lydia Craig wrote:

I just encountered an interesting discovery that needs to be addressed by someone in an Official capacity.  It seems it is not taking around five time the memory to run an avi that it took prior to the restarts. Does this mean LL is going to be upping the base requirments for or computers or will something be done to bring this more under control.  This though is solid proof that Pathfinding, contray to LL's previous statement is indeed using far more resources and that at least some of these are but passed off to our computers.   This raises some interesting questions about what else is going on with Pathfinding that LL is not telling us.

The number you're looking at is how much memory allocated on the *server* not on your PC.  It has no effect on your computer, or the minimum  computer requirements of the viewer. The server has more to track, so naturally the server will use more memory.

phaedra Exonar wrote:

When I first read your post I was hoping we could use the new LI to reduce avatar draw cost but doesn't look like we can. 

Hadn't checked mine in months so don't have any thing to compare to the changes the roll out may have caused.

Those physics settings aren't going to change the draw weight, worn items have no physics.

Draw weight is the new (well not exactly brand spanking new, but still) avatar rendering cost. So only visuals are taken into account. This is based on the number of faces on objects (not texturable faces, but trianglular faces that make the shape), their opacity, glow etc. Scripts or physics or server weight have no impact at all. The only way to tune down your draw weight is by actual reducing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.