How to prevent distortions?

iCade

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! I am working on my first pair of pants, I am using the 512x512 optimized template. So far so good, I drew within the lines, everything looks good in my graphics programm.

Unfortunately when I upload it in game and apply the texture to a new pair of pants the back pockets seem to extend over the ass like this:

show1.png show2.png

and there's quite a  quality loss going from crisp clear to slightly blurry.

How can I keep the pockets at their original size or do I need to make them super tiny? Also, what is causing the loss of quality? O.O

And biggest noob question of them all, can I test these clothes in game without having to pay 10L for every single texture upload? The preview option when uploading a texture doesn't tell me much on how it will actually fit on an avatar >.<

The textures will naturally stretch to the avatar shapes.. Using 1024 for clothing is always a beter quality image... Parts that are going to be stretched you may want to think about making them smaller than normal.

You can also use the beta preview grid for testing you uploads or some viewers like firestorm and phoenix do temp uploads...

There is also a free open source clothing previewer..It allows you to apply the outfit on your PC to see how it looks....

• Like 2

Goto DL section

DL the AV mesh top and bottom

you will see when you open them the lines have bends in them,those are contour lines and show you where the AV bends,you must work wih those lines so you can adjust your images in the same direction of those lines.example when you look at the Avs butt you will see where you pockets will cross those lower lines and will start going down the leg you will notice larger gaps between the cross lines which means it will stretch there as you move.you want to avoid going that far down as the pocket will bend and stretch as you move.you what to stay in the strait a ways so when you move it dose not distort.

iCade wrote:

How can I keep the pockets at their original size or do I need to make them super tiny? Also, what is causing the loss of quality?
o.O

And biggest noob question of them all, can I test these clothes in game without having to pay 10L for every single texture upload? The preview option when uploading a texture doesn't tell me much on how it will actually fit on an avatar >.<

You will need to make the pockets smaller. With the avatar mesh it stretches to the curves (as already mentioned). Play around with the size of the pockets to make them look as normal as possible. Upload the avatar templates into sl (i.e... Robin wood's or whatever you might be using) apply them to a shirt and pants and wear it so you can get a good idea where the lines fall on the avatar.

You can upload the textures without having to pay each time by checking the "temporary" box in the upload window. It is free and the texture looks exactly as it would had you paid to upload it. The only difference is that once you relog the temporary textures are usually gone.

You can also try out SL Clothing Previewer. It is a free program that I've seen talked about on the forums from time to time and I've also tired it. Though I tend to stick to just uploading temporary textures in world. You can open your clothing files within this program and it will be painted on a test avi so you can see where the clothing lays.

Also make sure when you go to upload and you see the little preview before you hit the "upload" button to make sure that "use lossless compression" is checked. This will also help the look of your textures that you upload in-world. And like already mentioned using 1024 x 1024 textures is better. If you don't like the idea of using that size of textures, at least make the templates in 1024 x 1024 and then right before you want to upload in-world save it as 512 x 512.

And for your first pair of jeans might I say that is pretty darn good! Good luck!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4349 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.