Line around avatar's neck

Naredia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My avatar has a line around the neck that just showed up recently. No idea what has caused this or how to get rid of it. I've tried all the ideas in the Knowledge base and those haven't worked. I've stripped the avatar down to the very basic look when you first start and the line is still there. I've gone in the Tab Develop - Avatar - Character test - Test Female and the line around the neck still shows. I've rebaked, relogged and whatever friends have suggested and nothing gets rid of this line. I've contacted tech support but because I do not have a Premium account they will not look at it to correct it. Anyone who knows what could have caused this or how to removed the line around the neck please contact naredia resident ingame. Thank you

You wrote that you had tried all of the suggestions in the KB.  Have you dragged and dropped another outfit folder onto your avatar?  By that I mean an entire new avatar from your Library?  One that replaces everything you now have (including shape).  If the line is still there once you do that, let us know.

It is under Library > Clothing.  Pick Girl Next Door or whatever.  But you must replace everything.  Dragging the folder and dropping it onto your avatar will do that.

Your issue is a real mystery. As a last resort, I can only think of doing a clean reinstall of the viewer and see if this helps.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231

Important:

32px-KBnote.pngNote: Uninstalling deletes your chat and IM logs. If you want to keep them, save the files before you uninstall. See Chat and IM logs for more information.

Hi Naredia,

It seems to be connected to these Jiras:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/MISC-3116

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-12906

The first Jira is similar to what you are experiencing but Linden Lab closed it saying it was a duplicate of the second Jira. That Jira seems to be a catch all one for all avatar transparency issues and has been ongoing for years. Says Fix Pending but I really don't know if that's true or not. I didn't read through the whole Jira.

What graphics card do you have and is the driver up to date? Nvidia cards seem to be the worst affected by transparency issues on this Jira.

I've suffered from that as well as parts of my arms only being half rendered etc and found that i can successfully rebake by toggling the "open GL vertex buffer objects" box in preferences/graphics/hardware (of SL V3), ie, if its on - turn it off and rebake successfully, if its off - i turn it on and can successfully rebake. wierd but it works for me all the time now.

Here is what I've done....I checked the graphic drivers and they are up to date....I uninstalled SL2 and reinstalled it...rebooted my computer. The line around the neck was still there. So, I decided to DL Phoenix and install that thinking I had nothing to lose. Installed Phoenix..logged in...line around the neck gone. Why? I have no idea as I'm not a tech person but that seems to have corrected the problem.

Thanks to everyone for the help. Hugs :)

Here is an update of what I have discovered by trying different viewers. Hopefully someone with tech knowledge can put this to use to help others with the line problem.

First, Treat, I tried your suggestion with the GL vertex buffer in the SL3 viewer and it did not change anything.

I have installed 3 viewers...SL3, Phoenix and Firestorm. The SL and Firestorm viewers both show the line around the neck. The Phoenix viewer is the only one that does not show the line. Maybe if someone knows what SL3 and Firestorm viewers have in common that the Phoenix one does not then maybe there is an answer to this ongoing problems for people.

Naredia wrote:

Here is an update of what I have discovered by trying different viewers. Hopefully someone with tech knowledge can put this to use to help others with the line problem.

First, Treat, I tried your suggestion with the GL vertex buffer in the SL3 viewer and it did not change anything.

I have installed 3 viewers...SL3, Phoenix and Firestorm. The SL and Firestorm viewers both show the line around the neck. The Phoenix viewer is the only one that does not show the line. Maybe if someone knows what SL3 and Firestorm viewers have in common that the Phoenix one does not then maybe there is an answer to this ongoing problems for people.

Phoenix is a v1 based viewer whereas SL3 and Firestorm are v3 based viewers so differing OpenGL coding. You could add your comments to the second Jira and see if anyone can help get it sorted for you with SL3 or refer it to the Phoenix support regarding the issue ocurring with Firestorm. Probably get a quicker response from them.

• 4 weeks later...

was no texture compression option but i tried the http textures and that had no effect on it. I do have an NVidia card, and I hear the SL viewer doens't like NVidia, maybe that can be it? I dunno, but it is driving me crazy. Every once in a while, it isn't there and i am fine, and then all of a sudden it;s back, a thin gap around my neck like the pictures above...

am pretty sure is a baking and upload problem

the viewer is supposed to bake on your computer then upload to the server then it dls back down to you and everyone else. am pretty sure thats how it works. like when you rebake then it looks good then you go fuzzy then you go good again most times. when you go fuzzy then you can see the line. after you get the final overlay from in the jpg then is usual ok after that

+

try turning off HTTP Textures on the Develop menu. is a bit wonky that sometimes in the V3 style viewers. in the old version 1 style viewers they dont use HTTP Textures

+

is a debug setting you can play with as well: AvatarBakedTextureUploadTimeout

i set mine to 0 when is being a bit wonky

• 1 month later...

If you read the JIRAs I posted earlier, namely...

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/MISC-3116

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-12906

...you will find many remedies that worked for one person but nobody else. Naredia found changing to Phoenix fixed it for her. LL closed the first Jira saying it was a duplicate of the second Jira and the second Jira was never fixed. The Fix pending on it is incorrect. Someone changed it to that by mistake and it just plods along year after year with no real solution although the number of posts has dwindled. Maybe there is no catch all solution, if there was it would have been found by now. Could be a myriad of OpenGL issues that affect people in different ways (Jiras show various transparency issues on pretty much all avatar parts) depending on ther computer setup, graphics card, driver, viewer etc. I would hope that most of the people affected who posted on those Jiras found a solution that worked for them or the problem mysteriously fixed itself some day.

I suggest you open a new Jira including the photo and see what happens.

have been playing with this

i think it have to do with compiler optimisations

in the beta 3.3.4 viewer can repro the lines on the neck. but not in the official release 3.3.4

+

the neck line thingy been going on since way back when windlight came in. used to see it all the time in the old v1 beta viewers but not in the officials

+

dunno but if is happening in tpv viewer officials then it maybe bc of the compiler settings. dunno exactly just think maybe might be something to do with it

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4252 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.