Can anyone give me tips on Crash-Free Mesh Uploading?

Spibe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I've been trying to upload a model for a while now.  I've tinkered around with the model itself, thinking that I didn't export it right.  I did get it to finally load once, but it was just a replica test model and I didn't really want that model in particular to be uploaded.

I was wondering if there are any methods to reduce crashing, and actually get the models to load.  I can't seem to get them to the point where I can see their preview picture.  Either it crashes or it does nothing, and I just have to manually close it.

Is there a lag-free viewer? A lag free sim?  A grid that's directly related to SL?  Anything that will make uploading mesh crash less?

I use the default viewer for uploading mesh.  I was wondering if there is anything better? And if not, what's the closest alternative to something better?

If you are not even seeing the preview image in the upload window then the file you are trying to upload has some serious issues.

You should try uploading one of the free sample DAE files.  If they upload OK then you know your viewer is working properly.

If it doesn't then it might be an issue with the viewer or SL and your original mesh you made DAE file might be perfectly fine.

Here is a link to the test DAE files.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Sample_Content

You might want to give us more information.  Like what program you are using.

Hope that helps. :)

Cathy

Thank you for the reply.  I've uploaded some things in the past.  I use 3ds Max, and I do use DAE format.  I can get the item to upload sometimes when it's unlinked together.  But once I link it within 3ds max, it seems to just freeze or just not load when I try to upload it.

By linking I mean attaching, sorry.  What I'm trying to upload is a chain of sorts.  I've uploaded one chain, and attached the parts together just fine.  The second one, (a different style than the first) doesn't seem to be working well though.

If I don't attach the parts together, the chain links are too small to upload into SL without them ending up enlarged and deformed.

I was having this problem the other day and discovered it was the SLM file that the uploader would generate... You can go in the folder of the .DAE file and delete the duplicated SLM file and it will upload just fine...

To disable the uploader from generating and uploading the SLM file goto Debug settings and find MeshImportUseSLM and set it to FALSE and you shouldnt have any more crashing on upload

It was always the second attempt to upload the mesh which would crash me..

Not sure if it is related to your problem but you might try

It didn't work to upload it, but perhaps it might cut down some of the crashing for future objects.  It guess it must just be a problem with the model itself.  I find it weird that a slightly different model uploaded just fine, and the model will upload if I don't attach the pieces before upload.

Thank you.

• 3 years later...

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

I was having this problem the other day and discovered it was the SLM file that the uploader would generate... You can go in the folder of the .DAE file and delete the duplicated SLM file and it will upload just fine...

I just wanted to thank you for this info, as I encountered the same problem and this resolved the issue for me. None of the other posts I'd seen so far helped, so much thanks to you :D

• 10 months later...

Spibe wrote:

Is there a lag-free viewer? A lag free sim?  A grid that's directly related to SL?

No, no and no. ;)

Spibe wrote:

I use the default viewer for uploading mesh.  I was wondering if there is anything better?

The uploader is the same for all viewers, except some third party viewers have reduced upload functionality for various reasons.

Spibe wrote:

I was wondering if there are any methods to reduce crashing, and actually get the models to load.  I can't seem to get them to the point where I can see their preview picture.

How many triangles and vertices does your model have?

If your mesh is very dense or has modeling issues (too many vertices - unoptimized or even bad topology) then this can definitely happen. The fact that a single piece can upload but not the joined model certainly hints at this as a possibility for the problem.

You might want to post a screenshot of your model to give folks more to go on.

And just in case this is a chain made from a sculpt turned into mesh via software, that is a "deadly" process LOL.  I tried some in Opensim and even with my very hefty computer it took forever and when they did get inworld they were VERY bad for the sim. There were actually some jewelry meshes that were crashing sims continuously.  I just deleted all of mine and called it a bad experiment.

Also, folks with computers that are borderline for  SL usage seem to have sometimes have issues with uploading.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2784 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.