why does linden labs not care about us anymore?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4296 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Phil Deakins wrote:

I don't see LL as letting SL "run into the ground" though.

A lot of people seem to have this vision of LL gleefully nosediving SL into oblivion, intentionally! That I do not understand. Second Life is a product, the people who use Second Life are LL's customers. If SL goes under, LL ceases to make money. The rank and file Lindens become unemployed, and the board members cease to gain any profits.

LL wants Second Life to succeed. They're just exceptionally, tragically bad at understanding what needs to be done to make that happen.

Here's why a 'run into the ground' can happen intentionally:

Executives make big money dismantling companies. Eject themselves with huge personal payouts. Sure it hurts employees & clients but happens all the time. Rip it apart & sell off the pieces. Called corporate winddown strategy & common in VC world. Heartless sure but to a sociopath thinking strictly of quick max profits from something you view as worthless it makes sense.

Sometimes it is actually the best move if the product is not sustainable & in slow unstoppable decline. Beats hitting the wall at 100 mph, owing a bunch of money, liabilities & suddenly can't fill payroll. Wind it down slow, purposefully run things poorly to ensure anyone with significant financial investment leaves first. Then closure goes smooth & no debts at the end of the line.

It's basically up to the VCs. If they become disappointed a lot of pressure quickly builds up to fulfill the above scenario.

'sociopath'?

hmmmm

wonders if LL also has a supply of serial killers and a bevy of mp's?

Even if companies are going to wind down, it is rarely a case where they purposely turn to poor biz practices in order to do so.  I've never seen a company 'run a biz into the ground' on purpose for any reason.  As a matter of fact, a wind down has to be done strategically and very carefully in order NOT to incur any further liabilities etc.

WADE1 Jya wrote:

Here's why a 'run into the ground' can happen intentionally:

Executives make big money dismantling companies. Eject themselves with huge personal payouts. Sure it hurts employees & clients but happens all the time. Rip it apart & sell off the pieces. Called corporate winddown strategy & common in VC world. Heartless sure but to a sociopath thinking strictly of quick max profits from something you view as worthless it makes sense.

Sometimes it is actually the best move if the product is not sustainable & in slow unstoppable decline. Beats hitting the wall at 100 mph, owing a bunch of money, liabilities & suddenly can't fill payroll. Wind it down slow, purposefully run things poorly to ensure anyone with significant financial investment leaves first. Then closure goes smooth & no debts at the end of the line.

It's basically up to the VCs. If they become disappointed a lot of pressure quickly builds up to fulfill the above scenario.

Dismantling companies works if the company has tangible assets to sell off.  But the reality is that beyond the source codes for the Servers, Linden Lab has no tangible assets to sell off.

And as far as shareholders to rip off, there are none.  So paying themselves big salaries at the expense of the shareholders isn't possible.  There are venture capitalists who have invested in SL, but these venture capitalists are no dummies and I'd guess they maintain very tight control of Linden Lab's purse strings.

I have the same experience as Klackie Alsop does; a Linden comes to tuck me in and kisses my forehead every night too... Then they turn off the lights and close the door so no one else sees or hears what happens after that. When I was a younger avatar I didn't really understand what was happening but now after years of being treated like this I know how wrong it is. What can I do though? I am too embarrassed to talk to anyone about my Second Life because their looks make me feel dirty, and the few I have told say if its so bad I should just leave. I don't have anyplace to go though, and even if I did find a new home I could not bring anything with me. I guess I am just stuck in this abusive relationship until I die. It is almost bedtime now so don't tell the Lindens I said anything; as bad as the relationship is they could always make it worse. I have to go be quiet now...

Rival Destiny wrote:

'sociopath'?

hmmmm

wonders if LL also has a supply of serial killers and a bevy of mp's?

Heh -- just for clarity I'm not saying they are sociopaths. Just according to some studies they say sociopaths are often found at the top of corporations because normal human traits such as compassion, honesty & ethics can get in the way of succeeding in today's cruel predatory hyperaggressive business world. So cutthroats win. They say sociopaths also excel in war zones & get promoted to be generals & such. I could see such studies being true. I hope LL harbors no real nasty executive types floating around near the top. Rodvik at least seems not the type -- quite the opposite -- which is a relief.

Perrie Juran wrote:

There are venture capitalists who have invested in SL, but these venture capitalists are no dummies and I'd guess
they maintain very tight control of Linden Lab's purse strings

Exactly, and that is where things can start to go wrong. The VCs control the future of SL. Seeing what happened to the lab (IMHO) made me decide as I grow my own company I will do so without help of any such sponsors -- as tempting as it may be to accept them. You involve VCs & you cede them too much power over your product & the direction of your company.

They call all the shots, deciding what lives & what dies. In the most major decisions, Linden Lab has no say.

LuciaRiley wrote:

LOL, so true. I've talked to a friend on SL who had their life threatend and LL didn't do anything about it. They even made an AR or two and included a detailed report.

I'm guessing if someone threatens to harm me IRL on SL I better just consider it a residential dispute!

Linden Lab runs a digital world not an international bodyguard service. If someone threatens to harm you in RL on SL and you consider that threat real, you should contact your local police station and let the police deal with it.

Nyll Bergbahn wrote:

LuciaRiley wrote:

LOL, so true. I've talked to a friend on SL who had their life threatend and LL didn't do anything about it. They even made an AR or two and included a detailed report.

I'm guessing if someone threatens to harm me IRL on SL I better just consider it a residential dispute!

Linden Lab runs a digital world not an international bodyguard service.
If someone threatens to harm you in RL on SL and you consider that threat real, you should contact your local police station and let the police deal with it.

Very well said.

And why is it that 99.99% of the time it is "I have a friend who....."  

Sometimes I get tired of anecdotal second hand stories.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4296 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.