Frustrated

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I don't think I am expecting an answer to this, I am posting mostly out of frustration and just venting.

I have two avatars, this one that only uses V3 and an alt that only uses Imprudence. I like V3 and what it can do but what I am posting about is why I just give up and log on with my alt to do anything.

Today I am in a store that I frequent and I was looking at a fingernail pack. There are 4 boards and I waited for them to rez in. After about five minutes one rezzed in all the way but the other 3 did not. How long did I wait, not sure of the time but there is one lucky chair near by that has mesh clothing, I got two tops and a dress from one lucky chair while I was waiting for the add boards to rez. I left the store and came back, I panned around, I kept my pointie thing on the board...

I logged off and logged on with my avatar that only uses Imprudence and went to the same boards and in ten seconds all of them were rezzed in. I say ten seconds but it was more like 5 seconds but giving it the benefit of doubt I will say ten seconds.

Okay, now you ask, but what about your system, what are you using...

CPU: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (3311.18 MHz)

Memory: 8139 MB

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Okay, not bad, but what about your internet connection. Well it can't be to bad and this is what I go by. The house has 4 people in it and all of us are gamers. We can all 4 play online at the same time with no one complaining about there connection. And today I was the only one awake and the only computer connected, sounds to me like my connection should be at least somewhat okay.

Now for the really sad part, this is not an isolated happening, I have this problem all the time with V3 and the same thing happens when I log off and log on with my alt, can't see with V3, no problems with Imprudence. Is it just poor coding in V3, I know it is doing more than Imprudence but give me a break, rezzing in an add board can't be that much more work for the viewer.

I frequent these forums and have gotten a lot of good information, both from answers to my questions and by reading others questions and the answers given to them. I have used these answers for settings in my viewer and have done clean installs when I think I have mucked things up beyond fixing. (FUBR)

Does V3 just hate me or do others have similar experiences?

Go into the "Develop" menu in V3 and change the setting of "HTTP Textures". With it on it means that textures are sent in the background after you arrive so you can interact with things faster but it takes longer for everything to be colored in and sometimes the viever glitches and thinks it has completely rendered something it hasn't. With it off all the textures arrive at the same time all the other data arrives when you first show up so you often see the entire area fully rendered sooner but it takes longer to be able to move around responsively. HTTP textures were first used with Viewer 2. Given that Imprudence is older and therefore probably doesn't use HTTP textures it sounds like with your particular setup you may get better performance with it off.

Also, Viewer 3 makes more use of other "helper" apps to send various types of data, particularly one called SLplugin.exe. Make sure that it isn't being blocked by your firewall.

I have played with the HTTP setting and from my experience having it off gives me the best results. I have found that turning it off if it is on will sometimes help and turning it on if it is off will sometimes help. But most of the time I find it works best if its just left off or unchecked. I checked the box when in the store and that did make one of the add boards rez in but it did not help the others that would not rez in. Its off again now. And I still don't know what the “Always load textures at full resolution” is for, I keep it checked but, as with the boards, I could see them but could not read them, definitely not loaded at full resolution.

Also, I did not purchase the fingernails, I need to know a little more about what I am looking at to spend money on it.

Since you also use a TPV for your alt, have you ever tried Firestorm (the Phoenix TPV version of SL v2/v3)?  I currently cannot use any of the new viewers due to my older PC, but I LOVE Phoenix. I loaded Firestorm on my father's PC a few weeks ago.  He has an All-in-One PC that does not have a dedicated graphics card, but it ran Firestorm with the settings on high beautifully with no lag!!!  (Can't wait to get a new PC - just having difficulty deciding which one.)

I use the V3 for my main av and I find that right clicking on an object with unloaded textures causes the whole thing to display instantly. So instantly that the texture(s) must have been downloaded but the viewer simply didn't display it/them. You could try that.

Turn off "Always load textures at full resolution." I believe the default is off; I've never had it on and I dont' have problems reading vendors or seeing sharp images of things once the textures load. It may be clogging your video memory with detail that you can't see. I have a friend who used to keep it switched on and she frequently had problems crashing and having textures not load - the problems went away after she turned it off.

Always load textures at full resolution, sounded like a must have setting.  But I turned it off and went back to the store and all of the boards loaded quickly.  I went around the store and there was not one board that did not load.
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I use the Phoenix Firestorm-Release V4.0.1.27000. At the Log In screen, there is a small dropdown menu called Default Settings. The settings you can choose are Phoenix, Firestorm, V3 and Hybrid. I use the Hybrid setting all the time. With that, I only have problems with textures loading when I'm on a laggy sim, but I findjust right-clicking, like you are going to Edit them, the unloaded textures will force them to rez for Me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.