What do people think about this new feature in the Marketplace

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I posted a suggestion to the Linden system today about making the marketplace show more relevant results and ads, depending on preferences that the person sets themselves in their Marketplace options.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-4801

So for example, you could opt yourself out of seeing any stuff that's only interesting to people that are into building. Or only stuff that's of interest to those into fashion, or breedables etc.  That way the ads and search results you do see are not full of those 4,999L skin templates you don't care about, or vice versa, if you do care about those, you can skip seeing freebie clothing items.

To get the Lindens to pay attention to anything in that system, lots of people usually need to vote for it and "watch" it.  So that's why I'm posting, plus also I'm curious what people think about it. Do you reckon it'd be a good idea for you to have a feature like that, to simplify the Marketplace & make it more relevant to what YOU do in SL?

I would just be happy if search were more relevant and we could use Boolean search.  If I put in what I want to see, I don't want to see half the things that show up, including listings that have nothing to do with what I am searching for except for keyword spam or links to other products inside the listing.

I have an interest in a lot more things than I have posted in my profile when it comes to being on MP..  I don't want some system deciding what to show me,  I prefer to choose that for myself because when I'm shopping there I could be looking for anything or nothing at all and just browsing for what's new that I don't even know about to have an interest in.

If your talking about something new in our profiles to select, I would want this to not be viewable by anyone or being able to be accessed by scripts or on the web from RL.  Don't want random spam.

This is essentially what the existing keywords and categories are meant to do. But sellers ignore those in attempts to gain more impressions on a mistaken belief that it will drive up sales more than it hurts perception of brand.

Consider: who would go back into all of the existing products and categorize them into these new areas?

What would prevent people from placing things in the wrong areas given that there is already a feature to report items in the wrong categories or otherwise misrepresenting themselves.

I get the idea of having it 'know' that I like X, and so showing me X - but I'm not sure that's really a change frome me going into category X and searching for X. And I'm not sure it could be abuse proof any more than the existing methods.

- Solve the abuse issue, and solve how to update all existing products; and your idea will have legs.

It would be nice for all the views this post has, that people would have gone and voted. I find shopping on marketplace to be very fustrating. If I found more relevant results when I did search for something, I would probably shop marketplace more often.

I didn't vote for it because it is not going to solve the issue of seeing things your not interested in seeing when you search and I want to decide each time I visit the MP what I'm interested in. 

Pussycat explained why it would not solve the relevancy issue. If everything were categorized correctly, merchants did not use keyword spam, only used keywords that directly related to product  and the search did not return item only because they contained a related item link to another product the results would be much cleaner and the present system would work without the need for pre expressed preferences.

I want Boolean search so you could not only specify specifically what you wanted but also what you don't want.  For instance, long red hair but not demo or mesh.

Don't go adding features to Marketplace until it's fully integrated with in-world search, so that things for sale in-world are first class Marketplace products for sale, commission free. Until then, it's doing more damage than good, and making a silk purse of it only increases the damage it's doing.

Qie Niangao wrote:

Don't go adding features to Marketplace until
it's fully integrated with in-world search, so that things for sale in-world are first class Marketplace products for sale, commission free.
Until then, it's doing more damage than good, and making a silk purse of it only increases the damage it's doing.

I agree Qie. Lindens don't have even the most basic functionality working at marketplace & until they do they should really not add anything else to the mix! You have excellent suggestion as LL's other revenue streams -- namely tier payments -- are being cannibalized by marketplace. The OP has a great idea too, its just not good timing for such things.

If the grid keeps shrinking at current rate it will put LL out of business by later this year. The reason for the shrink is marketplace. Everyone I know that let land go recently did so directly because of marketplace. I just keep my sims at this point because I love having them & could easily afford to keep them running forever.

However, I am aware my situation is atypical, most people here need something more commercially viable. LL's big problem is it doesn't make sense commercially to have any land anymore. I can see very well why others are letting their land go. LL's first priority should be re-balancing their products so they are not competing against themselves.

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

I want Boolean search so you could not only specify specifically what you wanted but also what you don't want.  For instance, long red hair but not demo or mesh.

That
I would vote for (I thought LL was doing away with that?) and watch.

+1 more

Tarina Sewell wrote:

Hm, I know today I was researching "steampunk" and got a big ole detachable **bleep** as first result and several pair of high heel shoes that had nothing to do with steampunk.. So they seriously need to do something.

Well the detachable part may have more to do with it than you think,  See this recent post. LOL

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussion-Forum/Good-for-a-chuckle/m-p/1568265

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4343 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.