My First Mesh Project

Alexi Reggiane

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've made some period furniture before using sculpts but I wanted to see what I could do with mesh. I am quite pleased with the way it turned out. Including the shadow prim it is only 4 LI, less then i could have done sculpts and i was able to get much more detail. I made it in Blender 2.61. Although I am a complete novice with 3D creation it was not that intimidating after having studied the many tutorials available on line.

I also have finished modeling a matching settee and just need to finish up a couple of textures for it. I also want to put some animations in them. I have put some static poses that I made in the chair but I think I would prefer something animated. I am not sure of my abilites with animations but I think it will be interesting to see what I can learn.

Louis XV Mesh Armchair_001.png

• Like 6

Thanks Valerie! Over the years I have dabbled in all kinds of creation in SL. It is one of the things I love about SL, creating or just getting to see the marvelous things others create. Most of the time it has just been a personal challenge to see if I could do it. I have never tried to sell anything in SL, although I have wondered if I could. I don't know how much of a market for Louis XV furniture there is in SL. If I am able to get some animations in them that work for the period, I might look into it.

Yes I have already thought of doing in other colors and patterns as well.

Alexi Reggiane wrote:

Is there a way I can download 2.63 and still keep 2.61? I tried downloading it but it replaced 2.61 and it didn't retain the plugins I had in 2.61. I was able to get 2.61 back with it's plugins by doing a system restore.

The way to keep many versions of Blender:

• Don't download the installer, instead download the Zip archive

• Extract the Zip archives for each Blender version to separate folders

• Run each Blender version from its own folder

This way the different Blender versions don't mess with each other.

Doing it like this you can keep and use as many Blender versions in your computer as you wish.

• Like 1

The Blender exporter does reduce ngons to quads and/or triangles, but I don't think it's a Collada limitation. This is from Collada 1.4 spec:

"The polygons described in <polylist> can contain an arbitrary numbers of vertices. Polylist primitives
that contain four or more vertices may be nonplanar as well."

The SL importer converts everything to triangles though. I don't know if it can handle ngons with n>4. But anyway, you are better off doing the triangulation yourself. If ngons are not completely flat and sharp-edged, you can get unexpected shading effects if you leave it to Blender, the exporter and the uploader (for quads).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4345 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.