Threatening to report someone if they don't do what you want?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My friend was IM'd the other night by someone she chooses not to have contact with for various reasons. This person said they would report my friend to LL and have them frozen for a few days if my friend didn't remove this person's name from their no-roleplay list on my friend's profile.

As a tiny bit of backstory, this person has verbally abused my friend both IC and OOC, and so my friend put a tab on her profile that said "No RP list: I will not RP with any of the following - XXXXX person and XXXXX person. It takes a lot to get on this list."

Last night, one of the people on her list sent the IM that basically said they were being defamed because my friend won't RP with them and they'll report them and have them frozen. I did not see the IM, as that would be a violation of TOS, but this is the general gist of it, from what my friend said.

Now, my question is, can my friend turn around and tell this person that they're actually harassing her by threatening such things, and can SHE report this person for harassment?

6 answers to this question

It doesn't matter what this person did to her, she can be reported for listing names in her profile, copy and pasting chat in her profile. Even if she has some sort of "disclaimer" in her profile. 

How is it a harrassment asking them to remove the info about them or their name. They should be reported for having their name in a profile when that name didn't agree to be put there.

Linden Labs doesn't really get involved in this sort of resident disagreement. So I highly doubt anyone's account will be placed on hold for this sort of sillyness.:matte-motes-not-entertained:

Why do people have to resort to immature finger pointing in profiles? I just don't get it, personally.

reports can be filled both ways. she can file a report on here for having her name around on somebodies picks without permission. as also your friend can file a report for harrassment for what past things she has griefed for. my suggestion is to just delete her name from the picks and mute her or delete her as a friend. otherwise there is no other way to warn others of being harmed of her unless you im her name to somebody in danger of being griefed.

It just sounds like pure drama to put somones name in a " I will not play with these people" list.

Those kinds of things written in profiles just invites more drama. They have the right to ask for their name to be removed. I dont see where there is any defamation . But it is negative. Your friend is not doing so much the right thing by having that in their profile. So it would cancel out her reports. I think the adult thing to do is clean that silly stuff out of the profile and be done with the issue, To me that kind of thing is just there to hurt somone ...

• Like 2

There's no TOS violation, so there's nothing to file an AR about.  It's all drama on both sides. ("I don't like you so I won't play with you any more and I'll tell all my friends not to play with you either." ....  "Well, then I'll tell my Mom that you're being mean.")   Linden Lab won't pay attention to any of it. 

• Like 4

She can't get reported for that as long as she doesn't say more than that she won't play with that person. Its not forbidden to put someones name in a profile (other way all that "I love u sooo much" stuff would be a problem too). She didn't say anything mean about him, so there is nothing she can get banned for.

• Like 3

The best course of action anyone can take when not liking how they play in the schoolyard is to ignore them completely, and not play at "tip taps", which this amounts to. 

Linden Lab will definitely not get involved with any abuse reports that are submitted on the grounds of someone merely stating they will not roleplay with someone, and frankly, anyone even submitting such abuse reports ought (in my opinion) have their account frozen for wasting Linden Lab personnel's time.

However, please just advise your friend to mute/block anyone they wish to have no further contact with, and do not allow yourself to be dragged into someone else's issues - life is too short, Second Life even shorter.  Does it really matter that they do not want to roleplay with someone?  Who is going to read and take notice of that on anyone's profile? Really?  It's all extremely childish.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.