Hair...back in the day...

Moochie Mendicant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Welcome back to SL!

If your wearing a skin you can't change it in appearance mode.  And the hair is only used by everyone, but the rawest newbs, only to create a bald base for prim hair and eyebrow shapers.  Nothing makes you more newb looking or ancient than using appearance to make skin/hair etc. People only use it for shapes anymore.

Don't know how long it has been for you, but skin hair etc have probably made enormous advances since you've been gone.  There are a LOT of good quality skins, hair, clothes etc. that are available free as gifts from merchants, in freebie stores, or for joining a group.  It will be worth it for you to take some time to track them down if you don't want to purchase them.  If you search this subforum you'll find lots of tips where to look, from specific stores to blogs that tell you about a lot of free things.  You will also find a lot of free, dollarbies, or real cheap things on the Marketplace.

Ruth is no longer the default newb.  So, in the meantime, look in your library for some prim hair and starter skins that you can wear until you can obtain better ones.  There is a pretty good selection of things there that you can use to put together your avatar to go out hunting in, but much better quality available if you take the time to find them.

Welcome back to SL!  There are so many places where you can find hair of all styles (plus mesh hair), you should try that.  I remember modifying my n00b hair to look like a rainbow once and then freaked out a bit because I did not think I could 'fix' it.  Good times.

Thank you to everyone who replied - it has helped!

I was here back in Beta days (with a different avie), left and returned several times. I do miss those days when we creative people could spend way too much time subtley adjusting our own skin features - that was fun. But as I understand it now, that is no longer possible, and you must get a skin to look "professional." I can do that!

When I returned this last time, I used the avie I had back then, hence my inability to change what I wanted the most. I dug out a new and improved model that already had the bald cap on, so I am quite happy with her.

Thanks for all your input! :)

The nice thing is you can make your own skin if you know how, but....I really, really wish LL would improve the art assets used in the base avatar skin so people could create and adjust a system skin that actually looked as good as the average flat texture skin created in Photoshop.

It's not only possible, but easy, and LL could have made the system skin look good way back when they first oepend the doors to the public.

You wear hair, you don't adjust it in appearance mode.

If you meant you want to adjust a prim on some hair you are wearing, then click the hair while wearing it. Choose edit. Checkmark edit one prim or whatever it says on top. Now move it or whatever.

If you want to tint the hair, choose the texture panel after you have clicked and opened edit on the hair. Choose the color panel, and pick a color.

You can only do those things if the hair itself is modifyable.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4368 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.