Spamming

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Griffin Ceawlin wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

But on the other side we also looked at it from the customer experience point of view.  Getting bombarded with land mark givers, group inviters, a dozen lines of text, etc, etc, the moment you arrive does not make for a good customer experience.

That's why we didn't have gadgets throwing those things at people as soon as they TPd in. They would be greeted, given a little time to "acclimate" themselves, and then an invite would be sent.

The convenience factor comes into play.

Personally, as a general rule, I dislike land mark givers.  If I'm smart enough to get to your store I am hopefully smart enough to make a LM.   But I can see the convience of the simple click.

I do wish more places did use event timers in the givers. It isn't rocket science.

you maybe, I've met people who've been in SL for 2-3 years and don't know how to make a landmark themselves.

I do wish more places would check grouplists before sending group invites, can't be rocket science, it's a tad tiring to get invited to a group you're already in every time you enter a sim :)

As to people sending me random group invites and tps, if they're not on my friend list they tend to end up on my blocklist.

Phil Deakins wrote:

From my experience of going to clubs with live entertainment, it's the entertainer's group that sends the spam invites, and it's done by a person who is too lazy to first ask if you'd like to join the group. The fact that I'm there (presumably) enjoying the entertainment is in no way indicative of my desire to 'sign up' to the person. I consider it spam. It may or may not be considered OK in general, because it's on the land of someone who is employing the entertainer, but to my way of thinking it's unsolicited and it's spam - and it annoys me.

The time it takes to say no is irrelevant. It takes next to no time at all to delete spam emails but they are still spam, and a blight.

How do you do events in Real life? Do you go to a concert/event/local store, and if they give you a Piece of paper at the door which is a program about the event and how to navigate the event, you will consider that spam?

How about when you go to a Real event, and they hand you a piece of paper/program, and in the program it offers you the chance to join their email group. You consider that spam as well? As you attend someone's place or event? LOL

You have the choice to turn it down and trash it LOL

Does real life law consider that spam when you visit an event or place in RL? No

The SL group join popup is a simple question and asking if you would like to join.  It is asking LOL :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

Hardly laziness. It takes up a lot of time and not everyone can be in world 24-7, except that bot LOL,, Like your bots model for you. You can't do it all

I can see it now. I have a real life event and I Walk up to you and give you a paper offering you to join my "HeMan Women Haters club" . In my own home. And you call the cops on me for spamming you lol; Thanks alot lol ( Hope you enjoyed the free beer lol)

The difference in emails spam, is the sender saught you out, either by buying your name or search, and you didn't ask for it. It's not the same when you go to a place or event. you saught out the event and are subject to the terms or you just dont go... I say its no different in real life hiring some kid to stand at the door soliciting you to join the email group or handing out programs or adverts for the event. you can say " No thanks" but you will still be approached because it is under their terms. The owner of the event didnt come to your house or pull you over on the side of the road just to advertise their products for their event. To me thats the difference between spam and solicited material :)

As someone said earlier, in RL you can just walk on - you don't even need to look at the person.

In SL, they are not asking if I want something, as you suggested - they literally give me something, and I am forced to deal with it. Now I know that if they ask first, I would still have to deal with it, but it has hell of a different feel about it. Asking me if I'd like a group invite feels friendly and good but sending the invitation without asking first is spam in my book - whether it's in a store, or a club, or remote fishing.

Incidentally, email spam isn't limited to genuine email addresses that the spammer has acquired - not by a very long shot. Email spam goes to untold millions of invented email addresses. All they need is a domain name and they send their spam to every name and combination of characters they can come up with. I have websites - I see the stuff.

ETA: Incidentally, a bot can be made to ask the target if s/he would like a group invitation, and only send one if s/he does. But, personally, I prefer a nice big sign to click. Then I could really could walk on, without any need to stop and take some action if it doesn't interest me.

Phil Deakins wrote:

... going to a store is no indication at all that the person is in any way interested in becoming (almost) part of it, which joining a group is. I.e. a visitor may look round, decide there's nothing they want from there, and leave.

sSig_agreed.gif

I'm pretty annoyed with all those "join, join, join" invitations all around in SL.  :smileyindifferent:

We cannot, and often don't want to, join everything. Thus most of the times the join invitations are just spam. Much nicer way is to put a join sign on the wall. Then one can join or not join without the invitation spamming.

The only time a club/store bothers me is if I answer, and it keeps sending me the same invitation.  It seems that if you get "stuck" at the landing point,  or anywhere near it - - there are a few places that will repeatedly send you an invite.  Regardless of my response,  I do expect once to be enough.

That being said, I do not mind the invitation - and agree that,  when I go to store/club etc - - I sort of expect one.

Having some random person send me a group invite is like random friend invitations - I don't expect them, and I'm not interested.

There is a difference, SL can't ignore it, people don't tolerate people, you see what happens to door-to-door sales man, they call police for him :manlol: at the other hand, they hammer your mail with ads and you are ok, they hammer your email and your still cool. People tolerate machine more. 

I don't have a problem with being asked to join when I visit a place. If I decline and that is honored, then I am good. There is one behavior I do have a problem with, and this seems to becoming more and more common. Many entertainment venues will automatically opt me in just for visiting. I'm not a member of the group for that venue, and I haven't clicked on a subscribe thingy, but I get notices sent to me. My only recourse is to IM the sender and asked to be removed.

Just last week. I received a notecard from a singer/club owner complaining that she was tired of all the angry notes and IMs she was getting about her notices. She admitted that she subscribed anyone who even visited her club. She was very self-righteous about doing so. I was receiving up to a dozen emails a day from her. I was not one of the angry people complaining to her. I simply sent an IM to her to stop and she did. But I just found it odd that she seemed to think she was justified in subscribing all visitors to her venue.  Again, she did not ask visitors if they wanted to subscribe. She simply did so without any notice of doing so.

This is becoming increasingly common. I'm not talking about getting an invite to join. I'm talking about being subscribed automatically without any chance to decline, or even know that I am being subscribed.  Singers/artists often contstrue a tip during their performance to be sufficient cause for automatic subscription. I don't mind being asked to join their group or subscribe, but I do mind being subscribed automatically. I like to support artists who perform in SL, and the venues that host them, but my distaste for being automatically subscribed to lists is making me hesitant to do so.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4366 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.