The Survey - Promotion inside SL

machinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, I am a last year student at the University of Economics in Katowice (Poland). Currently, I am carrying out a formal research on promotion inside Second Life. I'm really interested in your opinion about it and I would like to invite you to take part in my survey: www.wbadanie.pl/ankieta/247535484/ If you have any suggestions or additional remarks, just write. Thank you for your help.

I started and finished in the first page: "... This survey will help me to understand better how Second Life players perceive online promotional tools, which can be found inside the game. The survey is anonymous and it has a scientific purpose only.

I'm not a "player" of the SL "game", I cannot answer your survey.

PS. If the "scientific" purporse begins with "SL is a game" the science has problems :)

Well, I took your survey, which I almost never do.

Here are some thoughts I had on it:

The survey was asking about real life companies and how they might improve their promotions in SL. This is an extremely complex issue and there are many reasons why most companies do not find SL all that valuable to them. I'm not all that sure that this survey is really going to address the issue very well. This is a virtual world, where anything is possible, yet these companies try to use traditional types of marketing on the platform.

So, where are the problems and how can they be addressed more effficiently? IMHO, this is an issue of how much the company is willing to spend and invest. Very few actual real life companies have invested much money in SL. If companies invested more time, effort, and cash, then they would get better promotions. Plus, with more cash flow, you would see more content creators willing to make things for these companies, which would also improve the advertising offerings. If RL companies want long term marketing and promotions in SL, they need to goto those creators that make a living creating virtual content, and partner with them. Fulltime creators have established businesses in SL that RL companies can piggyback on. These creators are not generally seeking partnerships with RL companies, hence the companies have to seek the creators out. LL's solution provider program was an extremely bad idea, as many of these solution providers did not have successful SL businesses.

My final points - A good portion of the community here, could care less about what real life companies are doing in SL. Many of us run our own businesses. This brings me to my last point. You don't have any choice for Self-employed. This is a major factor, as just being an employee is a completely different mindset than not having a boss at all.

Thank you for your post and filling in the questionnaire. I didn't expect soo many details. The idea of this survey is to see if promoting real- life stuff in virtual world has any sense to any kind of company. I will try to draw a conclusion about what might be efficient for real- life companies but I expect the results will show more about what is inefficient.

No problem. I think it is also worth pointing out that SL has little to no affective marketing tools. LL has actually squashed all free advertising in SL, and given us nothing at all to replace it. Most of us are basically surviving on word of mouth. It's a pretty sad state of affairs and even more sad that a multi-million dollar company can't create a decent marketing system. Heck, they don't even try. Their past attempts were to bring in outside vender website Ads, which was a huge fail as the system never made it out of beta. It wasn't that merchants didn't want to pay for ads. It was because the ads never worked right, so why jump into beta testing just to lose money.

I took your survey, and answered all as if you were referring to SL businesses, and SL products. I have no time for RL companies and products in SL, and many SL users are the same. I log in to get away from all that, and most traditional advertising is ignored by me.

SL promotion is not done the same as RL promotion, and I don't think your survey is going to uncover that. Yes, we do use word-of-mouth, and I think are setting up ways to facilitate that. For example, residents form networks of blogs, image-sharing contacts on other sites, RP communities, and inworld sales groups.But we don't advertise RL companies, and would probably be shunned if we tried.

You do need a "self employed" option. Also, when asking about what my last purchase was, you listed many things irrelevant to SL (such as "items for children") and left off SL's perhaps-largest industry-  fashion.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4399 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.