Why is there no RLV in the Secondlife and Secondlife Beta viewers?

LovelyladyRoy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

• We are residents here, not LL
  • RLV has never been a feature of LL's viewers
  • They've never mentioned any intention of adding it

ETA:  It's a good topic though - there are features of RLV that would be useful in a lot of contexts.  The ability to auto-attach objects will be available with the new functions created for LL's NPC/game approach

It would be nice if were, but I can't see it happening, not least because if LL were making RLV, it would make far more sense to do a lot of stuff differently from the way Marine and Kitty have had to do it, because LL can do stuff at the server level.   But since that would break so much existing RLV content, I think it's a non-starter.

In the meantime, why not try Marine's RLV (or Lance Corrimal's Dolphin if you use Linux) or Kitty Barnett and Trinity Dejavu's Catznip (RLVa)?   All are very good viewers, very similar to V3 in look and feel, apart from the RLV/RLVa and some rather nice tweaks.

RLV was not created by LL, it is a feature created by a third party viewer developer. It's not something LL has ever openly supported (and in fact, I think many of us were afraid that it might break the new third party viewer policy, but apparently it does not). LL has never, at any time, indicated an interest in incorporating it into their own viewer, which is a good thing since, as mentioned, although they could probably make it work even better than it does now (because they could adjust their servers for it), those adjustment could very well break existing content.

I wouldn't hold my breath, if I were you. RLV will probably always remain a separate feature. Although LL have (hopefully) acknowledged that breaking RLV would herald the end of SL for many, many, MANY residents, I don't think they're willing to integrate it. LL have always kind of swept the adult side of SL under the rug, anyway.

"Hi! You're new? Welcome to Second Life! You wanna know a secret? If you click the box that says 'Enable RLV' your framerate will double and you'll get $1000 free lindens a week. Did that? Kewl! Now since you're so nice I'll give you some free new jewelry..."

AAAAND say hello to Robonewb.

THAT'S why the official viewer doesnt' support RLV.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4410 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.