Spoloders

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

JeanneAnne wrote:

SkyeDraiman wrote:

I recently bought the Supernova spolder off the Marketplace but read a notecard in it about it was illegal to gamble. I was going to just throw a party with friends and use it, i'm kind of confused here. Am i allowed to use it or not?

Legal or not, lotsuv clubs have sploders..

This 1 club where my sister DJs has one .. the club owner adds $L then bugs every1 dancing to add $L .. if 1 person hasnt added $L he will bug you to do so .. once every1 has added $L the sploder goes off & some ppl get more than they paid in but most ppl only get 1$L even if theyve added 20$L or 50$L .. so my sister & i started adding up how much was paid in2 the sploder & how much was paid out .. the sploder only pays out 80% or whats paid in2 it .. i guess the club owner gets 20% each time .. this is why he bugs ppl to play the sploder .. its a scam .. so after the 1st evening @ the club i stopped putting $L in2 the sploder .. the club owner bugged me about it but once he saw that i wasnt going to play he just started ignoring me .. he wasnt rude but he wasnt all friendly like he had been @ 1st .. my advice: dont fall for the sploder scam !!

Jeanne

This is where people using sploders spoil it for others just wishing to use them for a party with friends. I have also seen places where sploders are big business, drawing in large traffic numbers, but then LL gets wind of them and the owners get a suspension. 

Business owners have to make money, but bugging patrons to put into a sploder isn't really on, and does turn what seems to be fun into something of a scam. I would be avoiding such places.

Ignore Phil, he obviously just does not like you.

And to Phil - you don't like Jeanne and her style of writing, so why not just skip over her posts. There was just no need to be so rude to her.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marigold Devin wrote:

JeanneAnne wrote:

SkyeDraiman wrote:

I recently bought the Supernova spolder off the Marketplace but read a notecard in it about it was illegal to gamble. I was going to just throw a party with friends and use it, i'm kind of confused here. Am i allowed to use it or not?

Legal or not, lotsuv clubs have sploders..

This 1 club where my sister DJs has one .. the club owner adds $L then bugs every1 dancing to add $L .. if 1 person hasnt added $L he will bug you to do so .. once every1 has added $L the sploder goes off & some ppl get more than they paid in but most ppl only get 1$L even if theyve added 20$L or 50$L .. so my sister & i started adding up how much was paid in2 the sploder & how much was paid out .. the sploder only pays out 80% or whats paid in2 it .. i guess the club owner gets 20% each time .. this is why he bugs ppl to play the sploder .. its a scam .. so after the 1st evening @ the club i stopped putting $L in2 the sploder .. the club owner bugged me about it but once he saw that i wasnt going to play he just started ignoring me .. he wasnt rude but he wasnt all friendly like he had been @ 1st .. my advice: dont fall for the sploder scam !!

Jeanne

This is where people using sploders spoil it for others just wishing to use them for a party with friends. I have also seen places where sploders are big business, drawing in large traffic numbers, but then LL gets wind of them and the owners get a suspension. 

Business owners have to make money, but bugging patrons to put into a sploder isn't really on, and does turn what seems to be fun into something of a scam. I would be avoiding such places.

Ignore Phil, he obviously just does not like you.

And to Phil - you don't like Jeanne and her style of writing, so why not just skip over her posts. There was just no need to be so rude to her.

Well put Marigold ... id have nothing against sploders if they were all in fun w/ no coercion 2 play them .. in defence of the club owner my sisters partner pointed out that running a club is expensive & the sploder is 1 way of making $L to support the club .. this club is pretty new .. i only go there when my sister is DJing so i cant speak for mostuv the time but during her sets theres usually no1 there we dont know & those who follow her to her gigs tip her generously but not sure how well they tip the venue .. last night it was just her, me & some of our friends .. the club owner didnt even show up until her set was almost over .. its not that i dont like him but as soon as he got there he started going on about the sploder & it kinduv ruined the conversation .. we went to bed shortly after that & i dont think the sploder ever even sploded .. id h8 to see my sis loose her gig but iv gota feeling that club isnt goin2 last ... ~sigh~

Jeanne

not all sploders are bad

prize sploders are ok. the sim owner puts in an amount of money at regular intervals. anyone else can add to them if they like as well. avatars come and click and wait for it to explode. cost nothing to play. is like money trees these kinds

some places have no-lose sploders. they like the ones above except that you have to pay to play. when it explodes you never get less back that what you put in

Marigold Devin wrote:

I don't dislike Jeanne and nothing I've said indicates that I dislike her, so I don't know where you got that from. I dislike the weay she writes, but that's different. It's best not to make think up, y'know ;)

And I don't see that anything I said to her was rude.

What I did was point out to her that the silly way she writes some words cause me, and no doubt many others, to pause slightly to interpret each of those words. That's not being rude. Most of us can understand them after we've interpreted them. Non-native english speakers may have to pause longer or skip the words.

What I didn't say is that Jeanne writes in an inconsiderate way, because she causes people to either not undertsand what she writes or to have those slight pauses. It's fine for phone messages, which I think is where it comes from, but it's not good for forum posts where full keyboards are used. Knowing what it causes should be a good reason to stop doing it. You call it style. If it is, it's bad style.

Phil Deakins wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

And I don't see that anything I said to her was rude.

! really?

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Phil Deakins wrote:

Yes, really. If you think I was rude to her, please quote what I said that was rude.

Don't you realize that you are automatically being rude once someone takes offense to something you say, no matter the intent or accuracy of your statement?

...Dres

the trubble isnt rudeness Dres .. i appreciate intelligent rudeness .. the trubble is w/ the priggishness & small- mindedness .. reminds me of being in hs english or undergrad comp class .... 'i like your essay Jeannie .. you make some good pts .. but yer goin2 hav2 resubmit it using proppah grammah spelling & punk tuation ...' my response now is the same as then .. wad it up throw it on the floor & tell em .. give me an f then azzhole ..

Jeanne

Phil Deakins wrote:

I didn't think anything different. But I wanted you to know that your silly way of writing in the forum is off-putting, and I may not be the only one who is put off by it.

It's rude of you to attempt to pull Jeanne up about her "silly way of writing in the forum".  You obviously don't find it "off-putting", because of all the people to respond to Jeanne, you were one of the few who did.

Tip-tap, your turn. 

It's probably the public humiliation aspect of it that got my back up. Are you an English teacher?  Did someone appoint you to be the English grade master of these forums?  Is this your particular fantasy in Second Life?

Yes it is rude to point out a flaw. Would you point at someone's mole on their face and say "you could have that unsightly mole cut out you know - it's very off-putting".

My mother used to go round the job vacancy cards in the Jobcentre correcting all the typographical and spelling errors that the junior filling them out had made. A Jobcentre should be setting an example. A girl writing on a forum is just a girl writing on a forum, and maybe Jeanne isn't a Grade A student and doesn't give a rats ass about that. 

Anyway, Phil, I don't wish to carry on feeling intolerant towards you and your intolerance of people who do not write correct English, so I am moving along now.  It's obviously ok for you to be rude, or you would have been modded out by now, and Jeanne's a big girl, can fight her own battles I'm sure.

i can express myself however i choose 2 Marigold .. i hava variety of reasons 4 expressing myself as i do .. 1 primary reason being 4 the purpose of exposing prigs .. seems like its worked the past day or 2 !! Phil .. Dres .. Myrlyn .. LoL :catlol:

Jeanne

prig (pr g) n.: person who displays or demands of others pointlessly precise conformity, fussiness about trivialities, or exaggerated propriety, especially in a self-righteous or irritating manner.

Marigold Devin wrote:

It's probably the public humiliation aspect of it that got my back up. Are you an English teacher?  Did someone appoint you to be the English grade master of these forums?  Is this your particular fantasy in Second Life?

Yes it is rude to point out a flaw. Would you point at someone's mole on their face and say "you could have that unsightly mole cut out you know - it's very off-putting".

My mother used to go round the job vacancy cards in the Jobcentre correcting all the typographical and spelling errors that the junior filling them out had made. A Jobcentre should be setting an example. A girl writing on a forum is just a girl writing on a forum, and maybe Jeanne isn't a Grade A student and doesn't give a rats ass about that. 

Anyway, Phil, I don't wish to carry on feeling intolerant towards you and your intolerance of people who do not write correct English, so I am moving along now.  It's obviously ok for you to be rude, or you would have been modded out by now, and Jeanne's a big girl, can fight her own battles I'm sure.

Oh give me a break... JeanneAnne knows perfectly well how to write in a coherent fashion... she just can't be bothered.  I, unlike Phil, can't be bothered to explain to her why I won't be bothered to try to decipher her posts... I just don't care that much.  Honestly, it's not that big a deal... now can we move on?

...Dres

JeanneAnne wrote:

i can express myself however i choose 2 Marigold .. i hava variety of reasons 4 expressing myself as i do .. 1 primary reason being 4 the purpose of exposing prigs .. seems like its worked the past day or 2 !! Phil .. Dres .. Myrlyn .. LoL :catlol:

Jeanne

prig (pr g) n.:
person
who
displays
or
demands
of
others
pointlessly
precise
conformity,
fussiness
about
trivialities,
or
exaggerated
propriety,
especially
in
a
self-righteous
or
irritating
manner.

Look, little girl... never once have I told you how you should write nor have I demanded to which triviality you should conform.  You do whatever the hell you want, but leave me out of it.

...Dres

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Marigold Devin wrote:

Anyway, Phil, I don't wish to carry on feeling intolerant towards you and your intolerance of people who do not write correct English,
so I am moving along now
.  It's obviously ok for you to be rude, or you would have been modded out by now, and Jeanne's a big girl, can fight her own battles I'm sure.

Oh give me a break... JeanneAnne knows perfectly well how to write in a coherent fashion... she just can't be bothered.  I, unlike Phil, can't be bothered to explain to her why I won't be bothered to try to decipher her posts... I just don't care that much.  Honestly, it's not that big a deal... now can we move on?

...Dres

Had moved on, as I said in final paragraph of my post.. Went for a bath, then watched "Coronation Street" (mediocre episode as Thursday's ones often are).

So had moved on. Hard to, though, when the coffee shop light is still on, can still see someone in the building and the smell of coffee and  lure of pointless chat lingers. :matte-motes-silly:

Marigold Devin wrote:

There was no public humiliation. There might have been if I'd mentioned something of which she wasn't aware, but I didn't. She does it intentionally.

No, I'm not and english teacher, and no, nobody appointed me to be one in this forum. I'm merely a forum user and Jeanne adds some unnecessary difficulty in reading her posts - for everyone - which is silly. For non-native english speakers, she may even make her posts impossible to understand. As a forum user, I pointed out to her that her posts are made more difficult to read because she intentionally writes words wrongly - and you don't need to be an english teacher to know that ;)

Anyway, Phil, I don't wish to carry on feeling intolerant towards you and your intolerance of people who do not write correct English, so I am moving along now.

I don't mind you feeling intolerant towards me, Marigold. The more you keep saying I was rude when I wasn't, the more likely it is that I will reciprocate the feeling ;) Oh. One thing though. I'm not intolerant towards Jeanne the person because she writes the way she does, but I am a bit intolerant of that silly and unnecessary way of writing in forum posts. Keep it for texting, when a full keyboard isn't available, and all will be well.

Consider the following:

As far as I know, LL doesn't send employees out onto the grid looking for gambling violations (or any other violations).  They pretty much just respond to abuse reports.

The only way LL will know about the sploder is if some attendee ARs it.  But since it's just you and your friends, that won't (well, shouldn't) happen.

LL is inconsistent with enforcement of their own gambling policy.  There have been sploders and other games at places that very clearly violate the policy - and they've done so for literally years - but they never get taken down.

Given the above, if I were throwing a party and wanted to have a sploder there.  I'd have one there.

I agree completely, Phil.  You weren't rude, and her "texting" posts were off-putting to me too.  I hate the way texts are written with all the ridiculous abbreviations and shortening of words, adding numbers to words, etc, and when I text, I refuse to do it.  I can type "thank you" just as easily as I can type ty.  Especially on a full keyboard here at my computer. 

SkyeDraiman wrote:

Wow my topic has gone from asking if i can use the sploder or not. To aguring about the way some one writes. Really? LMAO Random....

Anyways, from what i've read im not sure i want to chance it. So i wasted the money on it for nothign lol

LoL Skye .. srry ....

never new the fora wer so fulluv prigs ... bunchuv guys worse than old lady english teachers on here .. :P

hilarious !! :catlol:

hav fun w/ yr sploder !!

Jeanne

Phil Deakins wrote:

It's rude to point out a fault? Since when? Not in my book. Jeanne's post indicates that she didn't find it rude either. She found it was some things, but not rude.

Perhaps it was the way I worded it that got her back up - and yours - but what I said was correct.

There's a tool in this Forum called "private message," and sometimes for issues like this it would have been the more appropriate way to handle / discuss.

Stuff like L8R G8R and the like bothers me also and sometimes I gloss over those posts also.  But  that generally a personal issue.

From post to post and from person to person it's a judgement call.  If someone writes a thousand word essay here with no punctuation or paragraphs I'd probably call them out publicly. 

However in this situation I think calling her out the way you did wasn't the best way to go about it.  For whatever my 2 cents are worth.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4442 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.