Email Account Compromised

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peggy Paperdoll wrote:

My intent?  A can of compressed air to blow dust bunnies out of a computer case, of course!! 
:)
  I got a step ladder if you want it to get out of that gutter.........unless, of course, you like it there.  :smileylol:

:P

Charlotte, I had someone hijack one of my email accounts and spam my contacts list too...but it wasn't the contacts list on my computer, it was the backup contact list I'd stored with my ISP (Verizon).  Deleting that online contacts list seems to have solved the problem.

Thank you, Lindal. So far it seems that the spams have stopped. Hopefully for good, but I'll give it a few more days before I consider myself cured.

I haven't done any of the deep scan stuff yet, just deleted my contacts and changed password and verifying details.

Darren Scorpio wrote:

Charolotte Caxton wrote:

The only other place I can think of that I have used this email address is doing those surveys here in the forums. I have given them that address so they would pay me lindens for taking the survey. I never thought someone knowing my address could be bad. I didn't know you could spoof the Sent From address
:(

There's the breech.
:)

Never fall for such things Charlotte, those scams are phishing scams aimed to getting your email for the purpose of sending you a worm. Clean your PC and you will be ok.

So THAT is why there are so many "take my survey" topics on the boards. I knew there was a reason. They always sound phony to me.

Hi.

Just wanted to update anyone who is interested.

I changed my email password, removed all my contacts, and did a system restore to before the spam began.

So far, my contacts have reported no new spam.

Just to recap, I did do virus checks, but my pc came up clean, I didn't do any of the deep scan stuff, thankfully, and lesson learned is don't use your email account if you don't have to.

For surveys and stuff, Im just gonna create disposable emails with no contacts. 

Thanks everyone for the help and support!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4401 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.