Resident
AemonCadfael

Second Life Going So Slow

Hello all!

I'm very new here and excited about getting involved in second life.  However, after installing the viewer today I logged in and began to look around- Have to say, looks like an awesome place, but it is SO hard to interact with.  Everything is so very slow and takes a long time to load.  Then, after I turn away from it, it will take its time to reload again when I turn back to it.

I lowered my graphics settings a bit, but I thought I had a pretty decent rig.  Is my PC just not cut out for Second Life or am I doing something wrong here?

Also, I saw some comments on a Phoenix viewer or something, will that one run better and make this easier to use?

Thanks in advance, and sorry to be a bother.  I hope I am posting this in the correct place, and I appreciate any help/advice you can give.

-Aemon

System Specs:

HP Laptop with:

Intel Core2 Duo at 2.13MHz

4096 MB RAM

GEFORCE 9600m GT

Running Windows 7 64-bit

Honored Resident
Fareyn Babii

Re: Second Life Going So Slow

Reply to AemonCadfael - view message

we are all having problems.... seriously.. i dunno wth is going on lately, but i cant walk,m i can work, and im getting ticked! paying so much to LL per month for this kinda service >.<

Come check out Condemned Designs In world!!!!

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Bord%20Du%20Lac/237/71/3996
Honored Resident
Destiny Eberdene

Reply to Fareyn Babii - view message

Yeah, I have to agree, this is a crock of bs! I pay out the ass every month in lindens, on top of my premium account, and I have to deal with this kind of service. Shame on LL's for sucking people's hard earned money for this pathetic service!

Honored Resident
Magadski Adamski

Reply to Destiny Eberdene - view message

Me too.     I and many others rezz as balls of smoke and then for a long time a naked grey.   As I recall this did not happen  2 years ago .. or did it.  Are we getting value for money.. no. We  thought the new CEO would sort this out.  Is the problem if there r too many residents and we need a RL style war to kill some off to give us space?

Doc
Advisor
Jenni Darkwatch

A few things:

1. The default bandwidth setting is total bull**bleep**. In Preferences, go to Setup, then raise the bandwidth to ~2000kbps. SL's servers don't seem to go higher than that anyway.

2. Render distance makes a HUGE difference in how fast things load. I typically keep mine at 64m, but in busy venues I often go as low as 32m until everything's loaded, then raise it to 64m. With your laptop, 64m should work fine. 128m for scenic shots or in non-shopping sims. Large groups of avis will generally be problematic, regardless of viewer, setting or anything.

3. While you're at it, raise cache size to 1GB - it'll help with places you frequently hang out at, though it makes no difference with any other place or with avis.

There are third party viewers, which can be grouped into two categories: Version 1 based viewers and Version 2 based viewers. Typically, people are rabid about which one is better. Plenty of people threatening to leave SL whenever older viewers will be unable to connect. Always same **bleep**, different day. Using LLs viewer is the safe choice. Trusting a TPV is a lot like playing russian roulette, which may or may not be ok with you. The TPV directory is here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Which viewer works best for you? Only one way to know - try them out. Just make sure you do not share the cache directory between viewers... that's just asking for trouble.

Recognized Helper
Marigold Devin

[ Edited ]

Hi AemonCadfael, and welcome to Second Life and Second Life forums.

To try and balance this rather negative thread out a little bit, you'll probably find performance varies from week to week, as the people at LL make adjustments (this happens usually every Tuesday, while the grid still stays open -quite a complicated business modifying a running program!).

My specifications are not dissimilar to yours; I run the same graphics card, but am on Windows Vista rather than Windows 7, and I run using the default settings that come with the installation of all the viewers, flitting between Second Life main 1.23 viewer, Viewer 2.5, and the Phoenix Third Party Viewer (908 version).  I am not having serious performance issues this week, although have had a few more crashes than normal. Having said that, I was logged in for six hours earlier, teleporting around the grid from busy to non-busy locations, with just the usual Sunday lag (Aemon, lag seems to be worse at the weekends).

I believe Phoenix Firestorm is a very user friendly viewer, which I have yet to try, and if you are already familiar with the interface that comes with Viewer 2.5, you might wish to instal that. And there are support groups inworld who will give you further advice regarding Phoenix (please take a look at my profile, at the groups list for the Phoenix Viewer Support; click on that and you can opt to join, its open enrolment).

There is a handy tutorial made by Torley Linden, which shows you how to improve performance/reduce lag.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Secondlife#p/u/29/ktRW0q_JuM8

Good luck to you!

Learning something new every day.
Resident
Seabreezy

im new to secondlife also..my sister has been playing for years and talks about how great it is...well it sucks ..i keep getting signed out..cant move or even pull up the search..i cant believe she put so much money into this game..ill give it another try and but when people pay to play a game you would think they would have it running smoothly. instead of changing things everyday and adding more things that they have no clue how to fix....im very unhappy with this game right now

Resident
AemonCadfael

Thank you all so very much for the replies, this all really helped and the game is now much more playable. 

Thanks!

Opensource Obscure

Reply to Fareyn Babii - view message

Fareyn Babii wrote:

we are all having problems.... seriously.

Not really. I don't.

If "all users" had such problems, there would be hundreds of new topics like this one every day.

"All" is such an abused word.

AemonCadfael: trying different viewers MAY help - or not. You should be more specific and give more details about SL being slow.

As an example, some new users find that SL is slower if compared to MMORPGS or online games even when SL is actually performing well. SL is different from online games (you have to constantly download new content) and under some aspects it always will be "slower" than them.

Visit me at LOL region. Join Second Life Viewer 2 in-world group for news and help.
Leave a message on my Profile feed.
Leggi Il mio blog dedicato a Second Life.
Hitomi Tiponi
Topics: 11

Reply to Marigold Devin - view message

Marigold Devin wrote:

I believe Phoenix Firestorm is a very user friendly viewer, which I have yet to try, and if you are already familiar with the interface that comes with Viewer 2.5, you might wish to instal that. And there are support groups inworld who will give you further advice regarding Phoenix (please take a look at my profile, at the groups list for the Phoenix Viewer Support; click on that and you can opt to join, its open enrolment).

Please note that Firestorm is currently in the early stages of development, and still has many more bugs than any of the official viewers or other TPVs and should only be used by users willing to accept that.

Starlight - a brighter future for Viewer 3 and TPVs