Login failed, unable to connect to a simulator.....Mantainance?

Flamedramon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3509 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It isn't your avatar, it is the sim they are trying to get to. Each Tuesday (usually) this happens. The regions all get new server codes. You can be online and hop around as needed until the sim you are normally on has been changed.

You can usually get into SMITH. From there you may or may not get that message. You can log into a different sim using the viewer drop down box. If you don't have that option showing you can go into PREFERENCES (top of the screen) and change so that you can see the choices to log in. This is in the third party viewers, not sure if the Linden viewer has that.

(⊙.⊙(☉_☉)⊙.⊙) Calm down, No need to be rude. This is a forum where people go to post questions and get answers from others. Maybe that person doesn't know how to get to that point to read and find out, Ever thought of that? There was a time you had no idea where to look & didn't know what to do as well. Although you had posted a link..No need to add the " If you check on the Grid Status Page you would know" Geeze, Maybe you should refrane from answering questions if you are going to try and make someone feel foolish. ⁀⊙﹏☉⁀

PurplePrimrose wrote:

I received the same message, But waited about 20 minutes and was able to log on. Just keep trying...You'll make in in    

You can also try and log-in to a different simulator. Only a small number ever go down at once (they travel in a down-and-left pattern through the grid).

It may be important to understand that patience has been shown when answering this question every Tuesday for the last six years. I don't know Ayesha's practices but I just use a copy-paste response nowadays, being articulate has no value when providing this information. This issue resolves so quickly that replying at all is mostly pointless - by the time someone's logged in, posted the question, refreshed the page until the reply appears.... they can login without problems.

None of this should be new to anyone older than 7 days old (the OP has been here for 4 years), and it's not other users faults that the error messages given by LL are useless. Any user replying to a post on this forum with useful information is part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Compassion works both ways. :)

See also: This poor soul. Posting in the wrong forum and not supplying any useful information, such as the error message she received. They don't like to make it easy!

Well I for one cannot say or assume by day 7 every avatar should know what to do or read when it comes to log on/off situations. I'm just saying there is no need to be snappy and rude about it. If it irritates you when you see the question, and know its been answered in many ways for many days backwards & sideways...Just keep on scrolling. That's all I'm saying. I don't think there is a reason to be rude to someone who doesn't know whats going on. They could be new to the posts and new to grid issues etc...Yes..The majority of the posts are a big part of supplying a resolution & Yes I also agree compassion goes both ways. I try to make people who come to me for help feel like it's okay to ask and for them not to feel uncomfortable about it & I definitly would never want to leave them with a "Duh..You should know this by now" feeling. Bottom line not everyone knows where to go, what to read or should know the ropes by day 7. Anyhow, The issue is solved & hope you  & everyone else is enjoying S.L. .Happy travels in your future Experiences..Have a great day...(>‿◠)✌

♥ Ṕυґ℘ʟ℮ℙґḯღя☺﹩℮ ̲ ♥

Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up. ~Jesse Jackson

Oh Dear!

Perhaps I should have added a smiley face to my post.  I was not being rude, merely brief since I was on a tight schedule!

I provided the C&P link so that the OP would know what to do henceforth. 

By the way today's "Maintenance" has created more bugs than it solved and some sims are taking a heck of a long time to be reached at login.

Actually there never was a time when I did not know about the GSP because it was one of the things I learned about during my first few days in SL...from a "seasoned" avatar.

So, in short, I am sorry if I dented someone's pride, but what I posted was accurate, factual and helpful!:smileywink:

You got enough answers explaining why you couldn't login. So, I'll give you some context.

On Tuesday's the main channel of servers gets an update, usually. The proces can start earlier or later than the posted time in Grid Status. Bookmark that page. It comes in handy. But, remember. If something goes worng with the gris unexpectedly, it may take a couple of hours for a notice to appear, longer outside the 8-5 PDT work day.

The main channel contains about 80% of the regions. Wednesday the Release Candidate (RC) channels making up the remaining 20% get an update.

The servers are taken down, updated and restarted. If things are working well, each region is down about 10 minutes. It is hard to know which regions will go down or in what order. Effort has been put into getting adjacent regions running in the same server to make region boundary crossing work better. But, there are far more regions than fit in a server so that adjacent thing only goes a little way.

You can type the name of a region or region and coordinates ( [region_name\[X]\[Y]\[Z] ) into your login screen in the field labeled Start at:. Get the name of a region or two you like to use in case you hit this again. Get the spelling right. Or use some of the names suggested; Pooley, Furball, Fishergate...

If you do not have a Start At: on your login screen, open Preferences. In the General tab is a field labled Start Location. Enable Show at login. You can do this even before you login in.

Havnig this enabled is way handy.

kaymichel wrote:

I just had the same problem, no connection to a simullator,. Now afeter about 20min. it is working again but i dont know why my messages are gone. I had about 90 unread messages yesterday and now 0

See my reply in your other thread.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Second-Life-Tech/Mails-gone-after-Sim-maintenance/m-p/2825528

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3509 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.