I know, Mainland has no covenant normally but....

Vesper Kling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello Vesper. It is a known issue last 2 weeks which affects several residents. Please see: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2946 and http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-4945 You can vote there, watch, add your comments and follow the suggestions there. You can try to disable the Basic Shaders at first under preferences --> graphics. If this doesn't no work download the last drivers for your graphics card. If you haven't a link, let us know. Another solution which seems that works for some residents is to set "RenderMaxTextureIndex" to 0 under Menu Advanced (Ctrl+Alt+D) --> Show Debug Settings in Viewer 3. See if something makes any difference.

Technically, with mainland, I think they can do whatever they want. If this is owned land, you can IM the owner and ask them if this is intentional, a glitch, or something left by a griefer. If it's unowned, i.e. abandoned or for sale, you can try telling LL, I suppose, and seeing if they want to go ahead and clean up.

Unfortunately, you're right. If you end up with a neighbor you can't stand, for any reason, you're the one who suffers for it - it's their land, so their right to do with it what they want. Note, however, that there are general rules for some things. For example, if these pink things were causing lag, or if they were advertisements, or seriously impeding movement, you could probaby report for that. Can't really submit a valid report just because you don't like it, though :(

I've seen other complaints about the pink blocks in Thayer. The person doing it is most likely griefing the neighbours in the hopes of driving them out of the sim. Which is reportable, because it's not simply a case of someone building something ugly. It's done with intent.

It appears the owner of all the pink prims may be rather eccentric.

They've been in SL for 7 years, and SL has been known to bring out the eccentric in people!

They are a party person, and their favourite colour would seem to be pink.

I don't think they are griefing the neighbours, and in real life probably have all pink-painted fences and walls around their house, and their neighbours hate them for that too (or maybe they don't but would like to, which is why they've done so in their virtual life).

I don't mind the pink prims; they are only about as ugly as all the buildings I currently have around me on the mainland. She doesn't seem to have blocked anybody in, and we're not forced to look out of the windows when we're in our houses, and nothing is rotating or flashing, or got images of pron, or printed words that denigrate another avatar.

I'd say in this case, live and let live. At least it's put Thayer on the map!

Vesper Kling wrote:

LOL yes its a matter of taste of course. But there is also a public taste to consider when we live togheter as neighbours. So if i myself wants to build something extreme i would build it 2000 m up on a platform instead of forcing it on my neighbours
:)

The problem with all of us is that we bring our real life strange ways into Second Life with us. :matte-motes-big-grin-wink:

We pay more for virtual land that is in a "nice area", for example Bay City or the parcels closest to the "protected oceans" command a higher price, and we expect real life decencies and values to come into Second Life.  What we tend to get is a mix of people who live like they do in real life, considering other people, etc etc., and the people at the other end of the spectrum who do everything they would not get away with in real life.

But the beautiful thing about all those pink prims in Second Life, unlike in real life, we can actually click and derender them, so they aren't even visible to us any more, except, of course, on the world map.  So does it really matter?

(We can still click and derender objects can't we?)

I use to live on Thayer but moved on when these pink monstrosities appeared (and they looked purple to me, I better check my hair color).  All the pink prims where placed over parcels owned by the same person and several of the parcels have the description "Future home of Party House" so I'm pretty sure this is a case of griefing everyone else to leave so they can take over all the land.  The large white square in the middle is where another resident gave up and moved on and abandoned their land which the Crazy Pick Prim Lady bought up.  I tried setting my land for sell really cheap in hopes of it being scooped it by one of those really greedy land barons, a landbot did scoop it up but unfortunately the land baron was far more level headed then most and priced it super cheap to get himself out of that mess.  I did try ARs, a couple a week for over a month, but with no results, not even for a pink prim encroaching on my land.  So I moved on, bought some really nice land near a beach, but been feeling too burnt by the experience for any more mainland building and have abandoned that too and just moved into a Linden Home and save back that money for tier for something else.

Crazy Pink Prim Lady is a 7 year SL resident and a line in her profile that I had admired was "If you're not having fun you're in the wrong place", but after this I see that line means something totally different to me then it does to her.  And all those times I've been told that being on mainland is not worth it, I definitely believe that now.

Vesper Kling wrote:

LOL yes its a matter of taste of course. But there is also a public taste to consider when we live togheter as neighbours. So if i myself wants to build something extreme i would build it 2000 m up on a platform instead of forcing it on my neighbours
:)

To Vesper, I should have said the other day - you sound like a good person to have as a neighbour.

And to Knutz too, I have to say that.

It is a shame that people like Crazy Pink Prim Lady exist. But I still would try the derender button.  I wouldn't allow someone to push me off a sim that I called my home in SL.

pink is not always pretty.jpg

And you don't realise how much all that pink hurts your eyes - and undoubtedly your graphics card - until you see the sim without it all.

halfway.jpg

no pink.jpg

I'd be interested to know if things are any better over on the Linden Home sims; I'm sure you get your fair share of nutters there, although they can't really stick pink prims over everything, I've heard some people have boundary issues when it comes to respecting your space - shouting through walls and over garden fences and all of that :matte-motes-wink:

Knutz; oh sorry to hear, that sucks. Really bad you didnt get any response from LL  Things like this gives Mainland and SL a bad name :(

Marigold; Derender?? Gosh i havent tried that. Thanks! Do i have to derender only once or everytime i log in? /me runs in world to try it out

Ariel; That´s the spirit. But this pink stuff....

As far as I'm aware, objects (and avatars) stay derendered until they're removed from the "asset blacklist", so you shouldn't have to derender them every time you log in. Of course, they're only blocked to you on your viewer, so any visitors you get have the pink prim problem.

When I derendered, I felt a definite sense of inner calm. Let's know how you get on with this.

I also feel like this kind of stuff gives mainland and SL a bad name, like the mainland is the "council house estate" of SL - but this is probably why I've always felt so at home on the mainland (I know my place in this world *wry smile*)

pooh! I dont think Derender works in V3, at least i dont find it. Lucky enough i dont have anything to derender around my mainland parcel :] Still its a feature I would like to see in the viewer, its good for privacy reasons.

Ds. I love mainland too, cant think of having my vr home anywere else.

Big Poohs. I was just logged in on V3, and I couldn't find a derender button either :matte-motes-sour:

And all the pink prims were visible again, but back on Phoenix they appear to be invisible until I remove them from the asset blacklist.

I love that derender feature almost as much as I liked the avatar radar list and true online status features.

Now I am going to join the "V3 sucks" brigade!!

But I still love the mainland, and everything that makes it so quirky and character-full.

Hmm i dont wanna join that "V3 sucks brigade" just yet but if LL wants to protect our privacy and make the grid more attractive maybee they should implement that feature in the viewer?

I love mainland too. I have been a lot in different grids and none of them has anything like mainland in SL with protected water and roads. Only stand alones gets boring in the long run, so yes, ill stick to  mainland too :)

The eternal sunshine of the Metaverse

I have used the derender option but it is not permanent yet in FireStorm, I have not been satisfied with other viewers I've tried, and it bothered me that people were seeing the ugly pink prims instead of my builds.  Living in a Linden Home is dull and monotonous, block style houses as far as the eye can see with the majority of them having never been touched by their owners.  I do miss some things about living on mainland but there are plenty of other things I do not miss including the pink prim outbreak.  If I do get a nutter for a neighbor it'll be relatively simple, and cost me nothing, to just abandon the house then claim another one exactly the same somewhere else.

I'm still building on another world so am not missing that part, and the $15/month that LL use to get from me for tier buys me a lot more land and prims there.  It confuses me that LL does nothing to keep their customers satisfied, especially since their land is so overpriced.

I agree, the tier level is way too high especially regarding as you say, we have to put up with magenta neighbours.... I myself tries to buy cheap mainland in nice areas. Then i can abandon asap and not loose much if i get a horrid neighbour. I also has 2 regions in OsGrid to build on but SL and OsGrid are 2 different things. I want them both, so 1536 is more than enough for me in SL atm due to tier levels (i would benefit from having 512 though,,,, =))

thanks for your input, it was interesting to meet someone that actually had lived in that barbie pinkish place =))

//Mera/Vesper

http://eternalmetaverse.wordpress.com/

I'm quite certain that this is an aggressive move on the part of the owner of the land to push out other land owners. There really is no point to it, since all of the sqm that they own is being used to host some kind of a party club in the sky.

It's really sad that some people have to behave like this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4425 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.