how do I start a biowste farm

gerryxbox1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

gerryxbox1 wrote:

title says it all

Welcome to Second Life, Gerry!

I'll guess that your title almost says it all, and is merely needing the "a" in "biowaste".

Just why you'd want to raise biowaste is beyond me, but at least if you're doing so virtually, you won't kill anyone.

Frankly, I don't know if biowaste is animal or vegetable, so I don't know whether to recommend National Western's Livestock Sale Catalogs or the Jung Seed Catalog (a favorite late winter read for many).

If you live in the Midwest, Mills Fleet Farm is worth a visit. They're the only retailer I know that sells frozen bull seme​n, firearms, camouflage lingerie and toys. And, they have a bridal registry!!!

Good luck!

• Like 2

I assume that you meant "biowaste," but the answer is that you're pretty much on your own.  As far as I can tell, there are no self-identified biowaste farms in SL.  They might exist with a different tag, but any search I do for anything with the term "biowaste" in it turns up empty.  That doesn't need to be discouraging, though.  Basically, it tells you that the field is open.  You get to invent ways to bring your own vision into SL.

Depending on how much background you have in RL, you may need to start there by doing a bit of research to familiarize yourself with the issues and methiods of the field.  You should also probably visit around to agricultural venues in SL to see what other people's farms look like, even if they aren't biowaste facilities.  Finally, unless you already have some skill at building, texturing, and scripting, you should probably focus on sharpening those skills or at least teaming up with like-minded souls you can create a farm with.

• Like 3

Fleet Farm has a bridal registry? Really? Why don't I know these things? It's not as if I have any NEED for a bridal registry, but that's the sort of handy information that one ought to be aware of in our end of the world. A young couple hoping for bull **bleep** or a pair of tile nippers for the wedding night might register their wishes at Fleet Farm and I'd never have known.

Yep, they do. It's over at the customer service desk, across from the camo lingerie. There used to be a sign hanging from the ceiling, but they took it down. Now you have to ask. I think it's endearing. When Mom was young, and the neighbor brought his bull over, she would put huge red bows on a couple of the cows to dress them up for the dance.

Joy is where you make it.

Welcome to Second Life Answers

Please note that while you can sell all your old junk on a flea market, trying to turn it into bio waste will probably produce way too many toxins.

You might want to shelve that idea and just start with something small like a composter or two, although if you site them in a not very ideal place, you might have cause to purchase worms to add, and that of course makes your project more costly.

Good luck with your endeavours.

• Like 1

It is endearing indeed. I'll have to make a point of wandering through the camo lingerie section to see if there's a sign in our local Fleet Farm. I typically spend more time in the paint and power tools sections myself unless I'm looking for a new pair of boots or a galvanized trash can, so I could have overlooked it all these years. A girl can only divide her attention so many ways.

And yes, Marigold, I agree. This is much more interesting than yet another "Where's my inventory?" thread.

Not touching this one with a ten foot sterile sampler pole.

EDITED TO ADD:

OK, I did some research.  It turns out that "biowaste farming" is another term for worm farming.  This particular group, Gold Tokens, is offering to set you up in business raising and selling worms to people who want to improve their results in a related fishing game.

You will need to buy or rent some land to set up one of these worm farms, and buy the farm, starter worms, food, and other items from Gold Tokens to set yourself up in business.

But before you start spending your money, or even dreaming about all the profits you'll make, let me warn you:  The only people who make any money from schemes like this are the people selling the worm farms and food.

They might make all sorts of claims about how operating a worm farm will make you rich.  If I were you, I would be VERY skeptical.   There are NO, repeat NO easy ways to get rich in Second Life (or in Real Life either, for that matter.)  If you want to make money in SL, develop your skills at creating things.  It's not easy, quick, or guaranteed success...but it's the only proven way.  Get Rich Quick schemes only benefit the con artists selling them to the gullible.

So you see, I was right in the first place!  You should not touch this with the proverbial ten foot pole.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3667 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.