The end of SL as we know it? Linden Labs creating new platform, current one minimal development!

Vinten

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Posted on Firestorm Forum!

Full Article: Article

Many of you have heard by now that Ebbe Linden (CEO @ LL) slipped news at Friday’s Third Party Viewer Meeting that LL is moving resources to developing a new platform, a next-generation platform built “in the spirit of Second Life.” I will provide links to related media and articles at the bottom of this post, and I highly encourage you to read them to form your own opinions. But for now, here are a few facts as we know them.

• The current plan is that the new platform will not be open source at least initially. (This means there will be no Third Party Viewer alternatives at least initially, and there will be a new viewer built by LL.) This could change over the course of time.
  • LL intends to continue maintaining and developing Second Life while they develop the new platform and will operate them in parallel even after the new platform is launched. SL will remain as long as it is profitable for LL to continue operating it.
  • The new platform will be built “in the spirit of Second Life” and will put focus on content creators as the primary customer. LL wants to make it so good SL users will want to migrate to it.
  • Assets (inventory) from Second Life will “likely” not be transferable because they do not want to constrain what is possible by maintaing backwards compatibility. This wasn’t said with complete certainty, though, which suggests some content may be permitted.
  • Second Life will continue to be improved, albeit on a smaller scale. Oz Linden is now Technical Director and in charge of a small team who will keep development in SL going.
  • This new platform is still in very early stages, and it is unlikely even a beta will be seen before next year.

Vinten wrote:

Posted on Firestorm Forum!

Full Article:

Many of you have heard by now that Ebbe Linden (CEO @ LL) slipped news at Friday’s Third Party Viewer Meeting that LL is moving resources to developing a new platform, a next-generation platform built “in the spirit of Second Life.” I will provide links to related media and articles at the bottom of this post, and I highly encourage you to read them to form your own opinions. But for now, here are a few facts as we know them.
  • The current plan is that the new platform will not be open source at least initially. (This means there will be no Third Party Viewer alternatives at least initially, and there will be a new viewer built by LL.) This could change over the course of time.
  • LL intends to continue maintaining and developing Second Life while they develop the new platform and will operate them in parallel even after the new platform is launched. SL will remain as long as it is profitable for LL to continue operating it.
  • The new platform will be built “in the spirit of Second Life” and will put focus on content creators as the primary customer. LL wants to make it so good SL users will
    want
    to migrate to it.
  • Assets (inventory) from Second Life will “likely” not be transferable because they do not want to constrain what is possible by maintaing backwards compatibility. This wasn’t said with complete certainty, though, which suggests some content may be permitted.
  • Second Life will continue to be improved, albeit on a smaller scale. Oz Linden is now Technical Director and in charge of a small team who will keep development in SL going.
  • This new platform is still in very early stages, and it is unlikely even a beta will be seen before next year.

She's not very clued up, is she? The SL platform was never open source. Only the viewer was. So it's hardly a surprise that the new platform will also not be open source.

I'd be interested to know where "minimal development" comes from in the title.   I don't think LL have used the term "minimal development" and I'm not sure I've seen anything they've said that would justify anyone else using it.

Nalates has a good analysis  in her blog today: Second Life Assumptions.   

To my mind, at the moment we're seeing a vast amount of speculation about matters LL can't possibly have decided yet.

Im absolutely not spending money in Second Life anymore dont know if you heard but Linden Lab will pull the plug and stop broadcasting the grid when it becomes unprofitable, In my opinion it allready goes down the hill since 2011. Lately since the news is out people massifly abandoning sims and mainland prices are because of that low to buy in L$.

I have zero faith Second Life will make it to SL12B "Second Life 12th Birthday" next year, As Linden Lab will start to work on some sort of new failure grid that would be as they say way better then it ever will be for Second Life.

Either your keeping faith and put money in a deadbleeding concept or be smart and dont spend a dollar/Euro anylonger keeping fait and think things will be ok would be the same as you using drugs.

Second Life will die face it, it is just a mather of when can be tomorrow can be next year when SL2 is released!

I was lucky to have my sim sold befor this news came out otherwise im sure nobody would buy it from me so at the end im laughing Linden Lab in the face, You guys dont hurt me anymore with stupid releases and silly news!

Im off to real life now:)

Phil Deakins wrote:

She's not very clued up, is she? The SL platform was never open source. Only the viewer was. So it's hardly a surprise that the new platform will also not be open source.

Nevertheless I recall Ebbe saying TPV's would be a thing of the past.

Innula Zenovka wrote:

kiramanell wrote:

When/where did he say that?

Just about the same time as he said SL would be closed down when V2 was eating its lunch.

Don't wait for the 404 message! Join me in a better life. No migration hassles. No money worry, I'll take all of it, erm, on my shoulders. Free Kool-Aid!

Father "eidetic memory" Jim

Coby Foden wrote:

kiramanell wrote:

Unfortunately your memory circuits appear to have a malfunction.  :smileysad:

Please re-read carefully what Ebbe actually has said.  :matte-motes-smile:

He said that initially there would be no TPVs in SL V2.

Father "He neglected to add whether LL would allow any TPVs at any future time" Jim

madjim wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

kiramanell wrote:

Father "He neglected to add whether LL would allow any TPVs at any future time" Jim

Yes indeed, that's what the man said: "Initially". Not "a thing of the past".

It might be even a good thing that initially there will be only one viewer. Everybody will use the same one, gathering experiences about it. Gradually get ideas what could be improved - then it's time for the TPVs to step in to do their thing. Linden Lab does first the groundwork - TPVs take care of the enhancements. I think that would be a good approach also in the new world, as it has been in the present one.

madjim wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

kiramanell wrote:

Yes. And sometimes you have to read between the lines a bit. One of the Lindens (Oz?) had already said, earlier, that, as far as LL was concerned, TPV's were a mistake, business-wise. So, I read 'initially no TPVs' as a polite way of him saying they're done with TPV's.

kiramanell wrote:

And sometimes you have to read between the lines a bit. One of the Lindens (Oz?) had already said, earlier, that, as far as LL was concerned, TPV's were a mistake, business-wise. So, I read 'initially no TPVs' as a polite way of him saying they're done with TPV's.

Well, "reading between the lines" and making guesses is often just an assumption, not based on anything what really has been said. Like in your case, you just make an assumption.

In the present SL initially there were no TPVs, now there are.

Now I make an assumption too. :matte-motes-big-grin: :smileywink:

My assumption is that the same thing may happen or may not happen in the new world too.

We just don't know what will happen.

Coby Foden wrote:

We just don't know what will happen.

Unfortunately - since he's the person responsible - it's fairly obvious that neither does Mr Altberg.

Father "if you can't say anything nice, employ a PR agency to speak for you" Jim

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3588 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.