male skins - not young, not old

TybaltCapulet

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Do I mean "middle-aged" ?  Possibly.

I have tried visiting inworld shops, looking on Marketplace, and searching previous queries on this Forum - but, no luck.

In my searches, I have found lots of very well-made skins; but the vast majority are the Adonis type, although I did find some excellent "old man" ones. Maybe if I was wanting to present myself inworld as a distinguished professor or a 70 yr. old subsistence farmer with soil ingrained in his wrinkles, then these would be just the ticket. But that is not what I'm after.

So, if any kind soul out there knows of either a shop or creator that has skins that suggest that "prime of life" thing, please share.

(hope I'm not transgressing any Forum or TOS or "intellectual property" rules by reproducing these images ...)

The first one looks like 25 to me.

AD_EVIAN_SALVATORE.jpg

The second one looks like 35 .

Steve_03.jpg

Both belong to the "Adonis" category for me. Please dont get me wrong,  I very much appreciate your response. Possibly, your notion of "prime of life" and mine are not quite the same!

Hi TybaltCapulet, I know a shop inworld where I have seen some middle-aged avas, without looking like Adonis types.

I don't know how to put in a slurl here, so I send you the LM inworld, so you can have a look, if you want.

That´s difficult, I know the ordeal from a time when I modded a roleplay avatar to be his father, I don´t have mature skin recommendations, but maybe if you can´t turn anything up, the route I finally went might work for you - I pushed the shape sliders of my 'normal avi' so long until I was satisfied with the look and just kept the same skin adding 'wrinkle tattoos' I found on MP, I even found a grey beard that looked good enough, and was quite happy with the result, he didn´t look like a model at all ;) but exactly as I had imagined him. I don´t think there are many results for grey beards or wrinkles, so searching MP for it shouldn´t be too hard.

Thing is, I dont want the grey beard look, and the only wrinkles required are the result of consternation rather than old age! 

Actually, it seems easier to find "grey beards and wrinkles"  than "slightly world-weary and harassed, PLUS lost that youthful glow". ..trading stereotypes here, I know.

Been thinking about this while at work today ... maybe it is the hardest thing to do, skin-wise. Like, the extreme is easier to texture than the intermediate. I realise skin-creation is a VERY finessed texture process - I am in awe of what the creators paste on to the basic template. Like how many layers do they use? umpteen, I reckon.

Anyway, these skin maestros can go to town with the visual clues of old age, but I imagine it is trickier to suggest  40/50 rather than 70.

@ Bobbie ..had a quick look;more like what I was thinking of ...

That's interesting, because I would categorize that as being a somewhat older male, myself. I think it has a great deal to do with the styling. Your best bet may be to find a few demos, and try them out with different styling options than pictured to see if you can finesse them to the appropriate age for you. In particular in that image, I find that while the hair gives a more youthful appearance, the bags and wrinkles near and under the eyes, as well as the mouth, lend an older appearance. 

I don't know much about available male skins in SL, not needing them myself, but I have heard a great deal about Aeros. Perusing the marketplace, many of their skins read young, but this one is older. The white/gray beard and baldness increase that, but with different options, I think it could be finessed up or down in age. 

Styling is incredibly important, it seems. (I've found this for myself, as well; something as simple as hair can make an enormous difference, and depending on the style my avatar can slide anywhere from mid-late teens to late twenties/early thirties in appearance. Something to keep in mind.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3292 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.