i am getting really frustrated with this updated software

miku118

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

as per my last question about the latest update only loading as far as the vfs i was instructed to go to a previous version which i did i also did a clean uninstall before i installed the previous version now it will not allow me to continue without installing the new version there is no option to opt out of the new software and it is starting to anoy the hell out of me. please could someone sort this out fast.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

Nobody here can do anything about it.  We are all SL residents like you.  No Lindens ever come here.  There is a BUG report in the JIRA, so LL developers are aware of the problem and are working on it.

The best solution for now, until Linden Lab issues an improved version of the current update that is giving you trouble, is to download and install a different viewer. For many people who have posted here in Answers, reinstalling a previous version of the LL viewer is not an option, but there are several very good Third Party viewers with much better stability records.  If you do not like the idea of switching to a Third Party viewer and are willing to try an "almost beta" version of the LL viewer, I'd suggest trying the Project Snowstorm viewer.  That is an experimental viewer, testing features that may be incorporated into later releases of the standard Linden Lab viewer. It is not guaranteed to be as stable as a normal release, but it does have the familiar LL interface. 

• Like 2

A small percentage of people are hitting this problem. The majority have no problem. We don't know why. We do know the work-around.

See: http://blog.nalates.net/2014/11/11/second-life-main-viewer-failing/

The fix is to install another version of the SL Viewer from Linden Lab or a third party. The article explains how to do both.

I came into SL in 2008 and after the first year I started using multiple viewers. Some third party viewers have some awesome features for power users, like Firestorm. One has Oculus support: CtrlAltStudio. Others offer extended viewer programming: those supporting RLV; Firestorm, RLV, and others. Other viewers offer the old V1 user interface and yet are cutting edge tech: Cool VL.

Having a second viewer installed allows you to circumvent a problem like you found. It is also the best debugging tool we have. With two viewers I can quickly decide if the new install is a problem or if SL servers are the problem.

• Like 1

The answering persons here are users of SL the same way you are.

I agree, this time the update is *bs* as it has not some minor glitches, it just plain simple doesn't work at all and there is simply no chance to make it run somehow.

I tried everything: reinstall, redownload and reinstall, clean reinstall, release candidate viewer install. Nothing changes, you won't get to log in or even start the viewer. It just quits.

If you want to log into SL, you simply can't do it with any LL viewer at the moment.

So there's two solutions: take a break and try to update the viewer in a couple of months and see whether it works by then, or get a thrid party viewer that works.

• Like 1

I have had the SL viewer running on three different sysytems, two desktops and a laptop.  The update installed on my destops but got  up to the VHS thing on the laptop.  It has to be the graphics.  Both of my desptops have GEForce display adapters and the laptop has intel graphiss.  I think the problem is the intel graphics, but i haven't the slightest idea why. 

I am trying to solve this on my laptop by installing the previous version and not let it get to the update.  Yeah, good luck with that.  But, if I can get the previous version icon on my desktop, i should be able to click on properties, and in the target insert a command to prevent updating.  I am trying to find out how to do that.  If anyone knows, please answer.

Read Nalates's blog post, mentioned in her post above yours here. It's at http://blog.nalates.net/2014/11/11/second-life-main-viewer-failing/ Also, look at BUG-7776.  And please add your observation about the graphics card/chip on each of the machines.  I have been wondering whether the people reporting this problem are all running on laptops with graphics chips instead of machines with graphics cards, but almost nobody is posting that information.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.