“Updating friends list” error

evaishtar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

When I tried to log in I get the message “Updating friends list” and, after a while, I get an error message from the system and I can’t log-in.

I tried both the SL and the Firestorm viewers both with the same result.

Then I did a total re-install – uninstall and install again with the same result.

What can I do? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Please email the answer to eva.inanna@gmail.com as I’ve taken SL out of the system.

Best regards.

Evaishtar (screen name Eva Inanna)

4 answers to this question

we can't email you anything. We are just residents as you, and it's not very smart to put your email on a public forum, so better remove that asap.

If you had used the little search box at top of the page you had known this is a wide spread problem at the moment and we only can tell to send in a ticked or do a live chat with support if you'r premium.

Best of luck, hope it's solved very quickly.

Innula Zenovkas answer doesn't work this time around. I have tried using a brand new laptop that hadn't previously had SL installed. It's the account that has been corrupted, not the software. But since it seems to be happening to a lot of people it would seem the corruption resides on the Linden servers. Pure conjecture on my part but it seems to fit the known facts.

It seems this is due to the strange non-alphanumeric symbols some people are adding for their usernames. It is snagging the servers and keeping friends lists from loading. I was locked out of my account with the same problem but found an answer elsewhere about removing friends who have used non-alphanumeric symbols in their usernames. It worked!

Look through your friends list and make a note of the standard username of anyone in your friends list using the odd symbols like ℳღǖʂε 

Then log into your profile here: https://my.secondlife.com/settings/friends

Find those friends in your list, and remove them. I don't know exactly which symbols cause the issue - I removed a handful of friends with a variety of symbols before I could log in, but IT WORKED. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.