Unable to apply individual textures on each faces

dawnalphonse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

The mesh model I created and exported in collada format  in Blender.

I uploaded this model in secondlife . Then I tried to select the faces so that I can drag the images. But it is not possible to select the faces , instead the whole mesh is selecting .

The mesh model itself have the faces separately right ...Those faces we have to select to drag the textures . The problem is that I am not able to selecl the face  to drag an image texture .Instead the whole mesh will select if i try to select one face of the model.

How can i fix it.

4 answers to this question

In general, mesh objects are textured by using a UV map, again created outside of SL in Blender.  The object is "unwrapped" and its surface is mapped onto a flat plane, creating a template.  This template is then exported to a paint program like Photoshop or GIMP and is used to paint a texture for the object.  This texture is then applied to the 3D model.

The regular in world texturing tools are not useful for mesh objects, except for importing and applying new UV maps.

• Like 2

When you create your mesh model in Blender, you may assign up to 8 different materials to areas on the model. Those areas to not need to be contiguous, so you could have one material used for all the floors in a house, even if they aren't all connected to each other.  When the model is uploaded to SL, those materials represent faces on the imported model.  That way, you can apply a different texture or color to each of the predefined areas.  As Lindal says, you also need to have unwrapped your model in Blender to create a UV map.  The faces in your uploaded model, however, are determined by the way to assign materials, as I just described.

• Like 2

Hi

there are blender classes in game.

Im a group member.

use the Sl search to find them, they be the best help you can get, as they to use blender.

Press Control and F for the SL search once in game, and to find the blenber group, set the top tab to group before searching.

hope you enjoy SL and check out the gimp group.

good luck happy blendering

byee

Hi dawn,

I've never created a mesh object, but if it's at all like texturing a prim, you'd either drag the texture directly to the face, or check "Select face" at the top of the build window before selecting the face you wish to texture.

I mention this only because I recall being pleasantly surprised when I discovered how to select individual faces years ago.

Good luck!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.