SSL handshake failed ....?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

20 answers to this question

stephanie Firehawk wrote:

i'm currently running sl viewer 2 beta and i get the following error message when i try and bring up profiles:

SSL handshake failed

what is it and how would i go about fixing it, please?

*I noticed your other response after submitting mine and found it's a different issue. However, this may be useful information for someone so I decided not to delete it*

I had this same issue earlier last month. I would get that error message "waiting on region handshake" while trying to log on at my house (my RL location). I sent out a ticket to LL regarding that. In the meantime, I contacted my internet provider because I disovered that I was able to log onto SL while at another location, but once I got home the problem would resurface. My internet provider stated that it was possible that the host (Second Life/LL) was blocking my NAT IP address because I had no firewalls on my computer, I didn't install any other software that could have been the issue, nor did my provider have a firewall up within the system. So to make a long story short, I added that additional comment to my ticket and about 2 weeks later I got a response from LL asking if my issue was resolved. I went to log back on to SL and had no problems doing so. However, I'm still in the dark as to what may have caused it all.

Not sure if this is your issue, but I figured I'd share since the information provided in the wiki wasn't a solution to my problem.

Good Luck!

Message was edited by: Dovine Afterthought

Login to the Second Life homepage using Internet Explorer.  This will download the most recent certificate to your computer.  It's a one time thing just to grab the new certificate, so if you use Firefox (or any other browser) normally, you will still be fine after you've done this.  You should then be able to view the profiles in world (this also applies to Viewers such as Kirstens who use the 2.0 code).

It's a shame, given the wide array of web browsers currently on the market, that Second Life does not highlight this little fact about having to open the new certificate using Internet Explorer.  Talk about lack of customer service.

• Like 1

Kaliana Peretz wrote:

Are you getting the SSL Handshake Failed message on a Mac?

Hi Peewee,

I'm a mac user and I'm getting the SSL Handshake Failed error. From what i heard, if i download IE for mac, it will crash my computer, do you know a way to fix this issue?   

Hi Kaliana,

It would appear that where this used to only affect Windows it is now happening on Macs and the has been moved back to "severe" priority as the workaround is no good for Mac users. Please go to https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-927 login and add your comments, you will see from the existing comments that it is being asked: Could you please clarify - are you getting the 'SSl handshake failed' message - what version of Mac OS are you using - and what version of Viewer 2 are you using?

I am having an issue when logging into Secondlife... I updated the SL2 viewer yesterday with a mandatory update that would supposedly allow me to log into Secondlife as normal.  The evening before the update Secondlife worked fine.  I installed the update and after installing the update I tried to log in as usual and it gets to the part waiting for Region Handshake and then stops and gives me an error message, basically an issue with either my internet connection or the SL Grid.  My internet connection is working fine and I have no firewalls, and I have deleted all cache and yet I cannot connect from my home now, however I had someone at another location log into my account and they were able to log in fine... any suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Tried all of your suggestions myself as this is the same problem I am having and still cannot log in.  Still gettin the same error.  Uninstalled all viewers on my pc and deleted all files on my pc and then after defragging my pc I downloaded the beta viewer and still cannot log in and still get the same thing about waiting for region handshake and then it gives me the error that something is wrong with my net or the grid.  I havent been able to get on SL in almost a week and it is gettin very frustrating.

I am also having this problem. like the other user i have defragged disk and registry, uploaded new drivers , uninstalled and re installed v2 phoenix and beta more than three times. checked for windows updates as suggested which are up to date, and still getting message "second life has stopped working. I to have a vamp which will be destroyed soon. can anyone help please

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4599 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.