I keep freezing in world is it my pc or sl?

Geisha Almerico

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

this is what I am running

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz (2926.01 MHz)
Memory: 3036 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: Intel
Graphics Card: Intel(R) Q45/Q43 Express Chipset

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.15.0010.2302
OpenGL Version: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2302

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.38.0 OpenSSL/1.0.1h zlib/1.2.8
J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.2
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.31
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Vivox 4.6.0017.21209

Built with MSVC version 1800
Packets Lost: 0/25,400 (0.0%)

5 answers to this question

It looks like your system is nearing 7 years old.  The hardware specs are still within the posted minimum, but there have been 2 major software upgrades since then plus there could be any number of physical things causing problems.  Failing memory, micro-fractures on the pc boards, bus controllers, metal fatigue in the ribbon connectors.  This computer is considered 2 years past end of life.  You certainly got your money's worth out of it.  I would not risk working on it if it still runs.  Baby it along and start looking at your budget for a replacement. 

• Like 2

Hi Geisha,

It may be your PC (as Rhonda says, it's getting old and barely meets the minimum requirements), though if your freezing is a recent development, there might be a configuration change causing the trouble. Set your graphics to "Low" and reduce your draw distance as much as possible. If the freezing happens after a few minutes in SL, particularly in busy areas, your graphics hardware may be overheating. Blow out the dust bunnies that have likely accumulated inside the PC over the years.

Good luck!

• Like 1

If you feel it's OK when it first runs but then I'd only a problem when it temporarily stops, that sounds very much like the PC is l low on memory. The viewer will quite easily consume about 1.5GB and if Windows runs out of memory it will swap to disk.

Investigate this and if this is the case, reduce background tasks, add more memory or you can also try setting the debug value MaxHeapSize to say 0.5 in the viewer.

Your problem is most likely in your video card and driver.

Graphics Card: Intel® Q45/Q43 Express Chipset
   Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.15.0010.2302
   OpenGL Version: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2302

The Q45/Q43 chipset are not supported. Most of us are running OpenGL 4+. You could see if you can find a driver update...

Or you can add a newer video card. You can get used but really good NVIDIA cards on eBay. NVIDIA GTX760 cards are going for US$65 to $70 this morning 9/2. Google will provide you lots of tutorials on how to upgrade. 

Used laptops that will run SL, i3 and better with NVIDIA 300 series and better are going for $350 to $450. Desktops run $200 to $2,000. But, what you would need is in the $350 to $450 range.

You can look through the forum for more recommendations on a new computer. The one thing you must have is a 64-bit operating system. The crash rate with 32-bit, like yours, is WAY higher.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3143 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.