New Apple Macbook Pro Retina : Settings ...

Benny Fosse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all,

I'm opening a new thread for all owners , or interested on the new Macbook Retina & SecondLife
Parameters ? Optimisations ? Future update ?

At this time, the client run correcly but resolution make blur on details ... especially  arount the player (not too far)

Playing on high parameters

Thx

Default configured at 2x

Nothing change at 8X and 16x ... 
Run correclty without lag but everything is blurred ...
Probably due to the high resolution of this new macbook  2880 x 1800
Graphic Card is : Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 1go 

Benny, are you sure that the viewer is using the native 2440x1800 resolution? Could it be that you're actually running at 1440x900, which is the default resolution? Mac OS doesn't expose the display's native resolution in the "Displays" control panel because that would make the UI elements too small to see well. I think you can set the display to 1920x1080, which will shrink your Menubar text and other UI elements, but will also result in higher resolution rendering within SL.

To find out what resolution your viewer is operating at, you can open the snapshot window and take a look, or snap a pic and examine it's dimensions. I don't have a Retina MacBook Pro, so I'm just guessing, but my guess is that your viewer is not seeing the machine's native display resolution.

• 2 months later...

Hi Juliet, welcome to the forums!

Until Linden Lab releases a version of the viewer which understands the MacBook Pro Retina's display, SL will render at the same resolution as a non-retina MacBook pro, which is 1440x900 pixels. The "blurry" description people have applied to SL on this machine is with respect to other applications which work at the Retina display's full resolution o f 2880x1800.

I don't own a recent MacBook Pro, but I did look at the specs. The MacBook Pro 13" has only Intel's 4000 series integrated graphic processor, which must share memory with the CPU to hold the display pixels. This hobbles graphics performance, though the 4000 series is improved over previous generations.

The MacBook Pro 15" and MacBook Pro Retina add NVIDIA's GT650M graphics chip, and either 512MBytes or 1GByte of dedicated graphics memory. The result is much better graphics performance for SL. I'd expect the retina version to render SL more slowly than the base model, as it has four times as many pixels to push to the screen, yet uses the same graphics controller. The difference may be minimal for the current viewer, which isn't aware of the retina resolution and just repeats every pixel it draws at the old resolution (1440x900) into the four retina pixels (2880x1800) that comprise a low resolution pixel (hence the blurry claim). If LL ever produces a retina-capable viewer, I'd expect frame rates to drop a little, but with a much crisper image.

I certainly understand your desire to have a smaller and less expensive laptop, but think the 13" will disappoint you. The non-retina 15" MacBook Pro may be a good compromise, giving you the advantage of a dedicated graphics processor without the added cost of the retina display, which SL can't (yet) take advantage of.

Good luck!

Thanks for Madelaine for this complete 

Run smoothly on my Macbook Pro retina only the menu and fonts is affected & and can be corrected by apply a different echelle resolution. 
Otherwise running on High Settings without problem.
Graphics are very good without lag. :matte-motes-tongue:

• 2 months later...

I'm running SL on the 15" MacBook Pro with Retina Display

Everything in-world looks amazing, only the UI elements are somewhat blurry but that would be because the SL viewer is not retina-ready.

I'm running on High graphic settings with everything enabled and 2x anti-aliasing. It runs really well. If you're on the fence about getting the Retina MacBook Pro; I'd say get one. Just be prepared to view profiles via your broswer instead of in the viewer because they're way too blurry in the viewer. Everything else is fine Oh... And be prepared to get used to hearing your fans kick in at max speed when running SL (this is normal but takes some getting used to because the MacBook is generally dead quiet with any other app or game). 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

kittyrevolver wrote:

For me, nothing was blurry, just the fan was going and I have mixed feelings about maxing my fab out.

Still a problem with the fan, my brand new 2015 MBP sounds like a hovercraft with either SL or Firestorm viewer. I don't have this problem on my 2011 iMac. I don't want to fry my new MBP :(

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3180 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.