Need some help with renting a shop

FalaraPT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2976 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello everyone :)

I got a Sim and wanted to start build some small shops to rent them.

I just got some problems and i don't know how those can be solved.

I bought a rent box but this box just invites the tendant to the group with the rez rights

-> I need to set the group to "everyone can join" so the tendant can rez automatically and does not have to wait for a manual invite by me. is there a different Solution?

-> Being in that group all the tendants are actually able to rez inside the whole sim, but i would like to be able to limit this jsut inside the shop building on the sim

-> Is it somehow possible to auto return all items from the tendant if he did not pay the rent? Maybe even having a prim control? Like if the prims are set to 20 for a tendant so he can't add more.?

Thank you very much~

Hi,

You don't have to pay money to Casper or turn over all your business information to him and be reliant on him. You can get a free open source rental script here in Ross.

I agree that you should have an open group so that tenants of your stores don't have to wait for you to show up to invite them. That is so annoying to people who have paid you money. There isn't an automatic group-inviter except bots -- and the problem with a bot is that they take up a scarce avatar space on a homestead, which is not going to hold more than say 20 avatars comfortably, so you don't want to use up a scarce avatar space on that function which isn't necessary.

Just put out a manual group joiner that people click on and then see a link in chat which they click on again, and then a THIRD time click to join your group. Yes, this can prove too complex for people but you can also try telling them on the group charter and in info cards in the box just to use search/groups and join that way. Most people, if they have reached the stage that they are able to have a store, will figure this out.

You can find group joiners in various gadget shops.

To solve the problem of not wanting tenants to rez all over the sim, you can either make two different groups, which can be annoying when it comes to trying to manage prims, also scarce on a homestead (I'm assuming that's what you got but if not, then you have less worries).

So another solution is to put that land in a separate parcel or parcels and click "access only" and make a white list of who can enter. I don't like this solution because it means people have to see ban lines and they hate that. 

So do another thing, just ask. Tell people they not to rez anywhere except in their shop. 90% of the people in SL I have found do what you ask because they aren't asshats.  For the others, there is object return or even expulsion.

In group land, you can't set it to limit a person only to X prims, but again, most people do what you ask. Really.

As for autoreturn when they didn't pay their rent, I personally don't like this idea as I like to give a grace period and keep the customer. I think there may be scripts  now (again from Casper or others) that eject prims for you. I'm not sure that this is in fact an LSL function that now exists, it didn't used to, but I haven't researched it.

Prokofy Neva wrote:

As for autoreturn when they didn't pay their rent, I personally don't like this idea as I like to give a grace period and keep the customer. I think there may be scripts  now (again from Casper or others) that eject prims for you. I'm not sure that this is in fact an LSL function that now exists, it didn't used to, but I haven't researched it. 

Yeah, the functions llReturnObjectsByOwner() and llReturnObjectsByID are relatively new (introduced mid-2013). When a tenant's lease is up and they've gotten any automated warnings, the rental box could simply eject all their stuff (-ByOwner). *

Another relatively recent introduction (since mid-2014) is the ability to ban individuals from groups. There's no script interface to this, so it's a manual operation, but it may make open, free-to-join groups easier to administer. (The mere possibility of being banned from the group may encourage good behaviour.)

As for allowing rezzing just in certain areas, isn't that a function of the parcel permissions, as well as group role abilities? If the market area were a separate parcel that allows group members to build there, and the rest of the region's parcels do not allow group Build (nor Object Entry), this should restrict group members except those in roles with the "Always allow 'Create Objects'" ability (so you just don't give that ability to ordinary tenants).

Right? I mean, I think that's how it's supposed to work, but admittedly I haven't done that myself. In my few rentals, I create a separate land-owning group for each rental and let the parcel itself enforce prim limits. This also protects tenants from each other and generally simplifies things once set up, but it's totally impractical for large numbers of rentals and those with high turn-over.

[ETA: Group-inviter bots aren't typically resident on the regions owned by the group, so they wouldn't use up any avatar slots on a Homestead sim or anything. In fact, they're typically a third-party service, rather than something handled directly by the landowner.]

*For completeness, the llReturnObjectsByID function may appear promising to remove griefer objects, but it's not really practical for that. First, it's difficult to reliably detect such objects by script; second, once detected, usually you'd want to remove all that owner's objects anyway (unless accidentally rezzed by a legit tenant, I suppose); and third, the rate at which these particular functions can be called is strictly throttled, limiting effectiveness against griefer favourites such as self-replicators. Personally, I've only ever used the function for something totally unrelated (a rezzer that removes unscripted objects it rezzes itself). I have no idea of the function's real intended uses.

Yes, I  often hear tenants ask me if their prims will automatically fly off the lawn if they are late with rent, because that is their experience so I realized it must be automatic although I hadn't seen this script myself, and don't want to use it. I can't say I greet its appearance in the world as it adds to the overall nastiness of the rental industry especially at malls, where people who have paid $2/ or even $3 or more a prim are suddenly turfed off for being even a minute late. 

I really have to wonder why this can't be used by Linden Governance in particular (although they may have other more useful global powers) to return all griefer prims from a sim by name. I can't see the down side to that as you indicate. If there is a throttle for this, you have to ask "why".

As for you other point about parcel permissions, sure, you can take group build off other parcels to prevent group members from building. But then...that will ding those group members who you WANT to build. I don't see that as a solution. I hate "access only" lists so I think the solution is simply to have another group. Easy enough to make for $100 and you save the hassle.

In those sims that suffer griefing frequently, I turn off all build so that only those with resident status can override it and build, and that's another way to deal with it -- those new tenants can join the open group and build, but without a higher status (I call it "resident") with permission to override no-build, they wouldn't be able to build. But I see this as possibly then dinging group members you want to build. So I don't see it as a solution for the OP's problem.

And yes "creating a group for each rental" i.e. each parcel is something done by some landlords but for me, I'd quickly run out of groups and it's not an option.

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2976 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.