Ideal rez height for store?

AdamZadig

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What would be (if at all) the ideal height to rez and build a store on a private sim.

It has to be in the air.

I was told that between 2000 and 3000 is best but was not told why.

What I'm looking to create is one level for the mainstore.

A DEMO REZ area which would be higher and out of view

Some permament skyboxes rezzed for demo.

So there are three heights.

I guess the concern is, go scripts run less effectively at certain heights, is there more lag the higher you go?

Is it more beneficial to have it on the ground where other parcels are filled with other stores?

I have no idea, with all your height limitations. I just know that people should be able to land and from there easily find what they want. I have a teleport board at the landing but also navigational signs for them as they fly around. No one ever asks me where a department is. I also have links from marketplace listings to inworld locations.

You are asking for scripts. In that case it's completely irrelevant where your shop is. All scripts in the sim share the remaining cpu time (the rest after everything else is done)

Your script performance depends on how many load this sim puts on the server and not about a location. You have no influence on the script performance besides using efficient scripts by yourself.

You can block script execution on avatars from ground to about 80m above. This can and will be circumvented by huds that are made to ignore that setting. It has no noticeable effect anyways as long as there are no hordes of overscripted avatars all at the same time.

If you assume that most of your visitors have a view distance below 250m and if you love your visitors then you will put your shop at a place where nothing else is in that radius. If the ground is full of shops then everybody that arrives there will start loading every thing in their view range. Doesn't sound like a good place - if rez performance is important.

when fly up to 3,000 to 4096m, you will find a lot of private residences. People tend to go way high with residences where they can, and under  2,000 if they are into flight. Like fly off their platforms on their planes/helos.etc and drop down

Many shopkeepers kinda get this, and go for the 2000-3000 band, just so is less visual conflictions for their private residence neighbours 

ps: like Amethyst says you do want to check the sky out above the parcel before deciding on a height, see whats up there. Simple way is to rez a box. Sit on it. Right-click edit while sitting, and set the Z to go up and down 

thanks for the feedback, really good. One thing i noticed was the clouds! But i turned them off from being rendered but so far no problems at 2000-4000 feet. The  first time the clouds came over it was like a fog. looked pretty amazing!

AdamZadig wrote:

thanks for the feedback, really good. One thing i noticed was the clouds! But i turned them off from being rendered but so far no problems at 2000-4000 feet. The  first time the clouds came over it was like a fog. looked pretty amazing!

If you derender the clouds, that doesn't mean your customers won't see them...

One more thing. If you're near the corner of a sim, going up will make things such as prim drift worse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2885 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.