You can't Cancel an Account forever ?

Lexilium

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4694 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, 

I've had cupple of serious problems recetly with SL. 

I do not feel it is very good for me as I keep spending way too much time on it and stressing out. 

A  friend was over for visit and clicked my Cancel account button.

At FIrst I was mad she Did, so I created a Case saying that I do not wan't it to be canceled. Today I took a long deep breath and decided that I actually feel so much stress cus of this game as they have my ID  that I just want it deleted completely. (I have been banned cus  Age verification the 7th day) 

I closed the case and explained that i do want this account to be canceld.The Cancellation is pending .

Searched around a bit and saw that the Account can not be removed Forever, it always stays in Database? Is that true? Do they keep your Personal Info? I need some Answers. 

Thank you! 

Even after you cancel an account, it can be reactivated if you so choose. However, the longer you wait to reactivate it, the less chance you will have that your avatar will have it's inventory. I know someone who canceled her account, waited about six months (she created another avie in the interim), and reactivated it. Once her avie was reactivated, she had nothing in her inventory, only the stuff she was wearing. Plus there is a modest reactivation fee of about USD10. So, forever is a long while but you are the only one who can request reactivation of that account.

Lexilium wrote:

I closed the case and explained that i do want this account to be canceld.The Cancellation is pending .

Searched around a bit and saw that the Account can not be removed Forever, it always stays in Database? Is that true? Do they keep your Personal Info? I need some Answers. 

Thank you! 

They're kept in the database not to torment you but because if you've ever created or rezzed content inworld it needs to be identified.

When you cancel an account, all you are really doing is stopping your access to the account and removing your profile from search.  Anyone who has your calling card, is on your friends list or has an item that you previously owned or built will still be able to see your profile.

It sucks but that's the way it is, as in real life you can't erase all traces of your presence.

Once it's cancelled and the temptation to log in and be aggravated is removed then you can chalk it up as a life experience and move on.  I hope that whatever happens in the future is good for you :)

edited to make it "..It sucks" not "I sucks" although of course you may conjecture all you wish ;)

Couldbe Yue wrote:

Lexilium wrote:

Thank you! 

They're kept in the database not to torment you but because if you've ever created or rezzed content inworld it needs to be identified.

When you cancel an account, all you are really doing is stopping your access to the account and removing your profile from search.  Anyone who has your calling card, is on your friends list or has an item that you previously owned or built will still be able to see your profile.

I sucks but that's the way it is, as in real life you can't erase all traces of your presence.

Once it's cancelled and the temptation to log in and be aggravated is removed then you can chalk it up as a life experience and move on.  I hope that whatever happens in the future is good for you
:)

This was beautifully put, Couldbe.

To Lexilium, I wish you well in your future. Please be reassured that your personal information that went with your avatar's account dies after 60 days. The only thing that will remain on the database is the very basic avatar name and profile details. You really can move on with your life.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I'd read that 30 days or so after a cancellation, your name goes back into the list of available names. Is that not true?

You're a wind-up merchant, Pussycat! No it's not true. We are all one-off uniques, not street names :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

(or do you really believe that?! - I even double-tested this with dead account information and it's just not true)

canceling you account does remove things like email and payment infornamtion, not not inworld materials. after a time your inventory will be purged from the database. you can always choose to reinstate the avatar as long as you know the password....

to get around that, type a string of random charaters then copy and paste into the password change, and then delete the original string you copied from... unless you have photographic memory it'll keep you from reopening the account.

Marigold Devin wrote:

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

I'd read that 30 days or so after a cancellation, your name goes back into the list of available names. Is that not true?

You're a wind-up merchant, Pussycat! No it's not true. We are all one-off uniques, not street names :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

(or do you really believe that?! - I even double-tested this with dead account information and it's just not true)

What the heck is that supposed to mean? 'Wind-up merchant'?

Are you seriously taking offense at me having read something other than your interpretation of the situation - especially given that I stated I'm unsure. Was this really so 'emotional' of a subject that you had to toss an insult at me in it?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4694 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.