Highlighted

Will Sansar replace Second Life ?

This question has been raised often during the past years - it remains unanswered, so here goes. Will Second Life close after Sansar opens for business or will both business models run concurrently while profitable ? Will we be able to use both of them on the hardware with which we chose to run Second Life ? Any thoughts on the matter ?

photo Amchaisig_zpsmmyqqeyf.jpg
Helper

Re: Will Sansar replace Second Life ?

Reply to Amchai - view message

Amchai wrote:

This question has been raised often during the past years -

it remains unanswered, so here goes. Will Second Life close after Sansar opens for business or will both business models run concurrently while profitable ?

Will we be able to use both of them on the hardware with which we chose to run Second Life ?

Any thoughts on the matter ?

I think you didn't read the other threads about this subject, it's answered all, as far answers are available.

SL and Sansar are totally different, so they can and will not replace eachother. SL will stay here as long it's profitable for LL and being used of course by enough people. As you can see there are still new things released here, they wouldn't do that if it's at the point of closing.

You can run both, but Sansar will preforming better on newer hardware, because also VR is planned to be a feature there, for full experience you will need higher end hardware..

Topics: 122

Your questions have been answered - ad nauseum.

Yes, SL will continue after Sansar opens. Sansar is not a virtual world like SL.

The LL CEO himself has said many times in interviews and on this forum that SL will not close down unless it no longer is profitable.

Photobucket
Topics: 7

SL has a pretty good future ahead of it. Dont expect it to die anytime soon.

Reply to SabaothMastema - view message

photo Sigfor_zpsmyyxqjj5.jpg
Honored Resident

Well, another question is: can we use sansar with its fancy new graphics and capabilities the same way we use sl ? (i.e. without vr headsets)

Sansar will widen the gap between the professional 3D designers/elite and the rest of us plebes.

SL will degrade into IMVU environment, catering to the lowest-denominator, with junk items and junk people, and full of trolls and griefers.

With that pessimistic outlook, I think SL could still have a long and great future, but since there is no time being invested into revamping it, making it new-user friendly, and cleaning up how merchants design, market and sell their products, along with other issues - it seems doomed for failure.

At least in my part of the world, for the most part 19 of 20 participants are no longer in SL - and when SL is mentioned to the average person they either 1) Don't understand what it is 2) Think its for losers

SL is on its way out, and its not because of its usefulness, but rather it's image and presentation.

I Create Stuff

Reply to entity0x - view message

That is a pessimistic assessment. I'm still fascinated by the medium and probably spend far too much time online.I hope SL will always be available.

My question  is - if Sansar is not to replace S.L., what will Sansar be used for ?

How would Sansar become more attractive to users - remember what happened to all those commercial enterprises and educational institutions in SL a few years ago ?

How many people want to spend the time and can afford to don a VR headset for a virtual experience on a regular basis ?

photo Amchaisig_zpsmmyqqeyf.jpg
Helper

Amchai wrote:

My question  is - if Sansar is not to replace S.L., what will Sansar be used for ?

How would Sansar become more attractive to users - remember what happened to all those commercial enterprises and educational institutions in SL a few years ago ?

How many people want to spend the time and can afford to don a VR headset for a virtual experience on a regular basis ?

you compare Sansar to much to SL... i mentioned it to another question earlier today, comparing Sansar to SL is like calling the Samsung TV department with a question about a washing machine... it's the same company but products are not comparable.

Sansar is no world, ready to enter, it is a platform where designers can make their world.

That world they create can be a look a like of SL, or a part of it, but it's core is totally different

Sansar isn't meant for the average SL user.