Strange Message form Firestorm?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2953 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I upgraded to the latest version of firestorm annd now whenr ever I go to log in i get this message pop up.

"We were unable to decode the file storing your saved login credentials. At this point saving or deleting credentials will erase all those that were previously stored. This may happen when you change network setup. Restarting the viewer with previous network configuration may help recovering your saved login credentials."

Anyone know what this means or how I can fix it?

Thankyou in advance, you guys are great,

Benson

Benson Gravois wrote:

I upgraded to the latest version of firestorm annd now whenr ever I go to log in i get this message pop up.

"We were unable to decode the file storing your saved login credentials. At this point saving or deleting credentials will erase all those that were previously stored. This may happen when you change network setup. Restarting the viewer with previous network configuration may help recovering your saved login credentials."

Anyone know what this means or how I can fix it?

Thankyou in advance, you guys are great,

Benson

That message can happen for various reasons.

It can happen if you login over a different network as the messages says but there are other causes.

Your login credentials (usernames and passwords) are stored in a file named bin_conf.dat stored in your user_settings folder (located in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\VIEWER_NAME\user_settings.

This file is encrypted & hashed with your system ID/Mac address so it can only be decoded on the system where the file was created.

If the viewer cannot decode this file for some reason then you will see that error message at login & the viewer cannot retrieve your stored usernames & passwords.

Causesinclude:

• Change of network
  • Using settings backed up on a different system (though the error will only appear on first session with those settings).
  • Updating OS (eg updating to Windows 10) or any other kind of Windows update which changes the machine ID (some Windows 10 updates will cause this) - but again the error will not happen every session in this case.
  • Outdated root certificates on that system (if there is a problem with CA.pem).
  • Some data written to bin_conf.dat is corrupted & the viewer cannot decode it.

Test on the Linden Lab viewer (https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/) & see if the same problem happens.

Try renaming your settings folder (Rename Firestorm folder to Firestorm_old) in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\

If that does not help, you can revert back to old settings by renaming the folder back to Firestorm (or Firestorm_x64 if you are using the 64bit viewer).

If you can't work out what's causing it, file a Firestorm JIRA issue and include your log files.  Logs should give a good clue what the problem is.

steph Arnott wrote:

LOL, simple answer is they did not do a clean re install. END

Actually,My computer is brand new and never had any viewers on it..

So it's probably that it could not find the information the viewer was looking for..so it gave me that message.

the OP may not have saved their settings from before and did too good of a clean re-install..

I would think,not doing a clean reinstall would have left things behind.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2953 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.