Linden Labs, I don't want anyone "following" me. Ever! I want the option to stop it permenantly!

Eric Castanea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You don't need to completely hide your profile to stop people from "following" you, which I think only notifies them when you use the "feed" feature. Kinda like getting Facebook "updates."

Privacy settings let you choose who can see your information

On the Privacy tab of Profile Settings (accessed with the wrench icon on your profile window), you may choose who is allowed to view specific parts of your profile or post on your profile feed.  For each profile section, you may select:

• Everyone - Allows the whole world to see this part of your profile on the web, even if they're not Second Life Residents.  You may not allow Everyone to post on your profile feed.
  • Second Life - Only Second Life Residents may view these parts of your profile.
  • Friends - Only Second Life Residents who are on your Friends list may view these parts of your profile.
  • Nobody - This option is only available for your profile feed; if you select Nobody, you may stop everyone from either viewing or posting to your feed.

Just curious... what private information of yours do you think is exposed by somebody "following" you?

If you use twitter, it is similar to someone following you on twitter. Rather harmless...

It doesn't mean they are actually following you around like this guy:

boo.jpg

No private data (such as IMs, RL info, payment data, etc) would ever be exposed to this person (unless you purposefully disclosed it). "Following" just aggregates for easier viewing whatever you post publicly to your profile feed.

If they could not follow you, it would mean they would have to visit your profile page over & over again to check your feed there. Nothing new is exposed through following, its more of a convenience factor.

I think this is probably less a concern about being stalked than a rejection of all these facebook-like features and the strange lingo of social networking exhibitionists that has recently crept into SL. We don't want people to "follow" our "feeds" or to "retweet" our "tweets". This is Second Life, where nonsense like this can only serve to distract people from their immersive 3D inworld experience. We don't need other people's gossip in our profiles, or voyeurs who spy on it.  

• 3 months later...

Ok, so we can choose who we want to see our feed etc.  But i STILL don't want someone as a follower who started following me this morning.  I CANNOT remove them from my Followers list.  It's MY list, and i DON'T want them on it!  I don't care that they now can't see my feed, I don't know them, and want their name gone!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4491 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.