Is The New Viewer Lagging You Down? Check Your Hair!

Perrie Juran

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This issue is affecting both the LL Official and Firestorm Official Releases. 

I don't know about other releases.  But if you find this is your problem please add your voice to the JIRA's

http://jira.phoenixviewer.com/browse/FIRE-4146?focusedCommentId=60899#comment-60899

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2694

Interesting.  I see a big hit in fps with any of the mesh viewers, LL or FS, although for me, the new FS Release is better (higher fps) than either the LL 3.2.1 or FS beta Mesh.  My machine does not have enough RAM, and *reducing* the texture cache size and turning off voice both reduce the amount of read/write to the hard drive

But for me, no particular impact of hair.  I have long flowing hair, lots of flexiprims with alpha, and I can wear it or not, move the cursor where ever, and no consistant change in FPS.

Sounds like one of those lovely, hard to trace issues that depend on the particulars of the graphics card running the browser.

-------

CPU: Pentium® Dual-Core CPU       T4200  @ 2.00GHz (1999.99 MHz)
Memory: 3584 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 32-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GT 120M/PCI/SSE2

I posted this here because I had read a few reports of major slow downs with V3 and FS3 in various places in addition to hearing a few comments on this In World.  Enough comments I thought it would be good to get this info out.

I wish SL was always just plug n play but sometimes you have to work  a little to get it to work.

Today I finally gave in, installed the release FS and gave it a real go (only did some occasional tests with betas before). And it was great! Epic FPS! \o/  I could even pull up my DD from 128 to 256 and still had very good FPS.

Only one thing really bugged me; my avie was a puff of red smoke :(

So I fixed my avie and she finally rendered in all her glory. \o/ YAY! \o/

Shortly after that fix I noticed a drastic decline of FPS. So much so I had to pull back the DD and still was lagging down to an almost unplayable level. FPS of 3 is causing serious headache, I can tell you. :(

So from tomorrow on it's back to the good old Phoenix 1185. Who needs mesh anyway? (But that is another topic for another thread).

LoveAngeL Lyre wrote:

I had noticed the problem with hair in past most with free or almost free hair. My feeling is that they are just bad creations. Starting to buy stuff from known and recognized creators i hadn't problems anymore. It is no only the hair. Shoes and jewels can cause terrible lag also.

There is no doubt that poorly designed items can cause problems.  But that was not the issue being addressed here. 

The issue was something  that was NOT a problem becoming a problem in the new viewer for some people.  And actually it may be a more widespread problem than meets the eyes.  A person with a better or different graphics card may not be noticing as big a dip in FPS as several of us are, but they still may be taking a hit.

I may not have noticed a 5 FPS drop in my frame rate, but a drop of 30 FPS was pretty hard to miss.  There may be many people out there thinking a slight drop in frame rate is the price we pay for this new shiny thing called mesh when actually there could be a problem in the new client code.

So please don't blindly sweep this issue under the carpet.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.