Guys I ned help installing and running SL on Linux, please.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Storm Clarence wrote:

The rest of what you wrote is garbage; typical n00b talk; if no one is going to teach me then how am I to learn type talk.  I enjoy nothing more than to help, offer guidance, and work within an environment in which I am brutally comfortable, and have embraced since its inception.        

Yes, I am a pedant when it comes to installing, configuring, tweaking, and using/developing operating systems and writing software.  There is a right way and a wrong way.  It is called computer sciences for a reason.  YMMV.   

Storm, let me put it this way: People like you are the reason why Linux has a bad reputation.

Don't get me wrong, pedantry is great. If Linden Lab's developers were as pedantic about Linux as you are, then we wouldn't have this discussion. Then the viewer would be two-click installable from the distribution app store, just like everything else.

Unfortunately that is not the case here. The SL viewer for Linux comes in the form of an unpack-and-run archive and requires a writable install location for automatic updates, which practically rules out everything but the home folder. If that bothers you, tell Linden Lab how to fix it. Do not tell the OP how to fix it, because that is not his job. The OP is a user, not a developer. He didn't ask for a lesson in computer science or an introduction to the ten commandments of Linux system administration.

Masami Kuramoto wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

The rest of what you wrote is garbage; typical n00b talk; if no one is going to teach me then how am I to learn type talk.  I enjoy nothing more than to help, offer guidance, and work within an environment in which I am brutally comfortable, and have embraced since its inception.        

Yes, I am a pedant when it comes to installing, configuring, tweaking, and using/developing operating systems and writing software.  There is a right way and a wrong way.  It is called computer sciences for a reason.  YMMV.   

Storm, let me put it this way: People like you are the reason why Linux has a bad reputation.

Unfortunately that is not the case here. The SL viewer for Linux comes in the form of an unpack-and-run archive and requires a writable install location for automatic updates, which practically rules out everything but the home folder. If that bothers you, tell Linden Lab how to fix it. Do not tell the OP how to fix it, because that is not his job. The OP is a user, not a developer.
He didn't ask for a lesson in computer science or an introduction to the ten commandments of Linux system administration.

Masami, let me put it this way: people like you seem to display your ignorance so willingly it is no wonder SL has a bad reputation. (I did not know Linux had a bad reputation; since when-- today?)

I don't need a lesson on how to create a writable directory structure within the Linux FS hierarchy--the OP needs this lesson.  Perhaps so do you!   

The OP did not get a lesson in computer science today as you have offered absolutely nothing.  I offered advice to the OP to learn basic Linux skills or he will suffer nightmares in the future.  Ostensibly the same nightmares you are wrestling with regard to creating writable directories.  Go figure.  

Storm Clarence wrote:

Masami Kuramoto wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Unfortunately that is not the case here. The SL viewer for Linux comes in the form of an unpack-and-run archive and requires a writable install location for automatic updates, which practically rules out everything but the home folder. If that bothers you, tell Linden Lab how to fix it. Do not tell the OP how to fix it, because that is not his job. The OP is a user, not a developer.
He didn't ask for a lesson in computer science or an introduction to the ten commandments of Linux system administration.

Masami, let me put it this way: people like you seem to display your ignorance so willingly it is no wonder SL has a bad reputation. (I did not know Linux had a bad reputation; since when-- today?)

I don't need a lesson on how to create a writable directory structure within the Linux FS hierarchy--the OP needs this lesson.  Perhaps so do you!   

The OP did not get a lesson in computer science today as you have offered absolutely nothing.  I offered advice to the OP to learn basic Linux skills or he will suffer nightmares in the future.  Ostensibly the same nightmares you are wrestling with regard to creating writable directories.  Go figure.  

Before you run around calling other people ignorant, recall this...

Re: Everything is VERY bright

Reply to Jo Yardley (by Storm Clarence)

3 weeks ago

Jo Yardley wrote:

I just got a new laptop that can handle everything at ultra settings, very nice.

But somehow everything is also VERY bright now, like I am wearing a atomic bomb strength facelight, and I am not.

I even turned other peoples their facelights off.

I've turned all the lights off I could find, but my picture still looks like below.

Is there some setting I've got messed up or is there just another super bright light nearby I couldn't find?

Also, just noticed my glasses appear orange in stead of metallic as they should be.

Been tweaking my settings all day but not quite there i reckon.

jo

Hi Jo,  I know you may not want to hear this, but if it is still under warranty I would bring back.  Everything is telling me it is a screen inverter issue.  No easy fix, like swapping out the graphics card.  This is a board issue.  I could be wrong, but I don't think I am *that* wrong.   

Jo posted a screen capture of her "too bright" display in the OP, proving that the brightness problem was something that could be uploaded to the web, and therefore not in the inverter. Yet you were so certain it was a "screen inverter issue".

Btw, IMO a lot of probs for Linux folks could be prevented by simply providing repos/packages for the more common distros. Complete with dependencies... and done by LL, not by some volunteer who might get disinterested after a while. I know of one TPV who has a  repo: Exodus Viewer: http://exodusviewer.com/downloads.html (scroll down). Never tried it, so use at your own risk.

Storm Clarence wrote:

PS I don't take the easy way to go when I install software, I take the right way to go.  The right way according to my methodology, but, again, that is beside the point and outside the scope of this conversation.   

You remind me of a temple priest in some ancient religion, desperate to keep his incantions and magic tricks secret from the peasants, lest they discover it's all actually just common-sense and deprive him of his free wine and virgins...

Storm Clarence wrote:

Oops.

I take back what I said earlier. You are not a pedant.

No one pedantic about Linux would ever suggest breaking FHS rules to accommodate to misbehaving applications -- and then propose this as "the right way" to newbies. You are dangerously incompetent, Storm. Go away. You are not helping anyone.

Ok, so my problem have been sloved. I did find out how to run Second Life on my Linux Mint 13 Maya OS after like a hour when I crated this thread. I read the first few replies, what didn't really helped much, just kinda discovered it by accident by myself. I prolly should do this earlier, to inform you, but I will tell you NOW what I did...

So basically all what was needed is to extract the dowloaded file (SecondLife-i686-3.3.1.254524.tar.bz2 (I extracted it in Downloads folder and run the game from there too)), open extracted file folder, find the file in it named "secondlife", double click it and press "Run in Terminal".  That's it, no instaletion was needed. ^^

Thank you very much to everybody who replied to this thread with helpful information. ^^

iamtheainar wrote:

So basically all what was needed is to extract the dowloaded file (SecondLife-i686-3.3.1.254524.tar.bz2 (I extracted it in Downloads folder and run the game from there too)), open extracted file folder, find the file in it named "secondlife", double click it and press "Run in Terminal".  That's it, no instaletion was needed. ^^

Congratulations! Now take a look in the GNOME applications menu. There should be a Second Life program shortcut in the "Internet" submenu, so you don't need to launch the script from the folder any more.

Have fun!

Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Masami Kuramoto wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Before you run around calling other people ignorant, recall this...

Re: Everything is VERY bright
Reply to 
 (by Storm Clarence)

3 weeks ago

Jo Yardley wrote:

I just got a new laptop that can handle everything at ultra settings, very nice.

But somehow everything is also VERY bright now, like I am wearing a atomic bomb strength facelight, and I am not.

I even turned other peoples their facelights off.

I've turned all the lights off I could find, but my picture still looks like below.

Is there some setting I've got messed up or is there just another super bright light nearby I couldn't find?

Also, just noticed my glasses appear orange in stead of metallic as they should be.

Been tweaking my settings all day but not quite there i reckon.

Hi Jo,  I know you may not want to hear this, but if it is still under warranty I would bring back.  Everything is telling me it is a screen inverter issue.  No easy fix, like swapping out the graphics card.  This is a board issue.  I could be wrong, but I don't think I am *that* wrong.   

Jo posted a screen capture of her "too bright" display in the OP, proving that the brightness problem was something that could be uploaded to the web, and therefore not in the inverter. Yet you were so certain it was a "screen inverter issue".

Your 'gamma' tweak suggestion was just as incorrect, was it not?  Debugging a faulty application or hardware from a screenshot posted to a forum is much different than what this OP is requesting.  I think you are smart enough to know the difference, but ignorant enough to be snarky.  Good for you.  

I did not come out swinging in this thread, people like YOU are! 

Masami Kuramoto wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Oops.

I take back what I said earlier. You are not a pedant.

No one pedantic about Linux would
ever suggest breaking FHS rules to accommodate to misbehaving applications
-- and then propose this as "the right way" to newbies. You are dangerously incompetent, Storm. Go away. You are not helping anyone.

What?  Placing third party software in your home directory is convention I do not follow.  Who ever suggested 'breaking rules" but you and Mas? 

Arkady Arkright wrote:

Jenni Darkwatch wrote:

Yep I have. So? How does this help the OP?

By offering encouragement that it isn't the nightmare described by Storm.

This is not feelgood.net  What nightmare have I described?  The OP got SL running from his downloads directory; he is now a Linux poweruser-- thanks to all your help.  You guys are right, the OP does not need to learn any more Linux skills.    

Storm Clarence wrote:

Hi Jo,  I know you may not want to hear this, but if it is still under warranty I would bring back.  Everything is telling me it is a screen inverter issue.  No easy fix, like swapping out the graphics card.  This is a board issue.  
I could be wrong, but I don't think I am *that* wrong.   

Jo posted a screen capture of her "too bright" display in the OP, proving that the brightness problem was something that could be uploaded to the web, and therefore not in the inverter.
Yet you were so certain it was
a "screen inverter issue".

:|   

Feeling a little snarky today? 

Storm Clarence wrote:

Your 'gamma' tweak suggestion was just as incorrect, was it not?
 Debugging a faulty application or hardware from a screenshot posted to a forum is much different than what this OP is requesting.  I think you are smart enough to know the difference, but ignorant enough to be snarky.  Good for you.  

I did not come out swinging in this thread, people like YOU are! 

Here's my diagnosis from Jo's thread...

Reply to Jo Yardley - view message

3 weeks ago

Jo Yardley wrote:

But the graphics with a game work fine.

Right. It's clearly not an inverter issue, as you were able to demonstrate the problem with a screen capture and I'll presume that your desktop and other applications look fine.

Do the UI elements of your view look okay to you? If so, then the issue is likely in the viewer's rendering of the SL scene, not with Window's handling of the viewer application itself. As Arwen mentioned, it may be that your viewer is using a gamma (brightness/contrast) correction that's wrong for your new computer. While Windows will use your system gamma to display other applications and the UI elements of your viewer, it is possible that your viewer applies yet another gamma correction to scenes.

Could it also be possible that your Windlight setting has been corrupted. You might try playing with that.

Good luck, Jo.

Jo later replied... "I found out how to turn the gamma down in firestorm, it improves a little, but I still think the lights somehow have too strong an effect on the surrounding textures."

There was no certainty in my diagnosis. The certainty and retraction were all yours. And now you claim that my gamma suggestion was as incorrect as your inverter diagnosis? I've stated the facts. They disagree with you. Yes, Firestorm's gamma setting was only part of the problem, but it was a part.

As for who came out swinging, your first response in this thread called the OP's question unfair, while describing a "nightmarish hell" that may await him if he didn't follow your recommendations. That seemed harsh to me, as did your calling Masami (or at least people like him) ignorant.

And after all of that, you call me ignorant and snarky?

As for who came out swinging, your first response in this thread called the OP's question unfair, while describing a "nightmarish hell" that may await him if he didn't follow your recommendations. That seemed harsh to me, as did your calling Masami (or at least people like him) ignorant.

And after all of that, you call me ignorant and snarky?

Yes, it is you that is both ignorant and snarky.  You offered nothing in this thread to the OP outside of writing that I seemed to speak harshly in my opening response.  So the problem *you* have is not that I wrote anything that you disagree with -- it was the 'tone' in which I wrote my response.  Go figure.   I will try to write more flowery the next time so you may feel free to 'love' my post.   

Read who started the ad hominem post(s)... and don't forget to count yourself as one of them.  

Storm Clarence wrote:

Read who started the ad hominem post(s)... and don't forget to count yourself as one of them.  

Ad Hominen - an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it.

I negated the truth of your claim by presenting the facts. I made no statement about your character in this thread. I thought your calling Masami ignorant was out of line and your initial reply to the OP was harsh. That's my opinion of your actions.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Ad Hominen - an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it.

I negated the truth of your claim by presenting the facts. I made no statement about your character in this thread. I thought your calling Masami ignorant was out of line given and your initial reply to the OP was harsh. That's my opinion of your actions.

Yawns!

A picture paints a thousand words.  Even harsh ones.  

Storm Clarence wrote:

What?  Placing third party software in your home directory is convention I do not follow.  Who ever suggested 'breaking rules" but you and Mas? 

I certainly didn't.

What I suggested is that misbehaving applications do not belong anywhere except in a user's home folder. I pointed at WINE as an established software implementing that rule.

You were suggesting to break the rules by making parts of /usr or /opt user-writable so that SL can replace its own binaries at runtime. There is a reason why UNIX and Linux strictly separate executable files from variable content instead of mixing it all together. Executable files are supposed to be modifiable by no one but the system administrator, except if they reside in a user's home directory. Under no circumstance is a writable folder supposed to end up in the system $PATH. If we teach newbies that bypassing these rules is acceptable, then developers like LL have no incentive to improve their code, and Linux will quickly become the next Windows 95 in terms of security.

I repeat: As long as the SL viewer is not behaving like a UNIX/Linux application, it is not supposed to be installed like one. Period. What people do under their user accounts inside their home folders is unlikely to jeopardize system integrity. So yes, running SL from a download folder somewhere below /home is perfectly fine. Changing system folder permissions is not.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

I negated the truth of your claim by presenting the facts. I made no statement about your character in this thread. I thought your calling Masami ignorant was out of line given and your initial reply to the OP was harsh. That's my opinion of your actions.

Yawns!

A picture paints a thousand words.  Even harsh ones.  

And a thousand words paint a picture.

Masami Kuramoto wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

I certainly didn't.

I repeat: As long as the SL viewer is not behaving like a UNIX/Linux application, it is not supposed to be installed like one. Period. What people do under their user accounts inside their home folders is unlikely to jeopardize system integrity.
So yes, running SL from a download folder somewhere below /home is perfectly fine
. Changing system folder permissions is not.

You certainly did.

And, I never said it was not fine... althought I would not write it is "perfectly fine."  What I did write was "good for you" and that I do not follow that convention, ever.   You are chasing your own tail trying to show me you are correct.  I really don't care how you implement, install, configure applications on your machine... as I wrote above "good for you."  Or kudos, whatever you prefer.  

PS Thanks for the lecture on Linux file systems.  The OP sure needs it.  But, do you think he understood?  

Masami Kuramoto wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

PS Thanks for the lecture on Linux file systems.  The OP sure needs it.  But, do you think he understood?  

I wouldn't worry about the OP. He solved the problem
all by himself and was smart enough not to follow your advice

Classic!  Don't follow my advice to RTFM to acquire basic Linux skills and learn the tools.  Just wonderful!   You are really full of yourself aren't you?  You sure showed me up.  

Smiles!     ETA: I guess you too thought it was way harsh to tell the OP to learn something. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.