Guys I ned help installing and running SL on Linux, please.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Storm Clarence wrote:

Classic!  Don't follow my advice to RTFM to acquire basic Linux skills and learn the tools.  Just wonderful!   You are really full of yourself aren't you?  You sure showed me up.  

Why should the OP learn to compile a kernel if all he wants to do is run Second Life? Didn't you get the memo? Linux is mainstream now. People have it on their smartphones and tablets. Hell, I even have it in my bedside clock. What do you think I do in the morning? Launch a shell and enter a command line to turn off the alarm?

If the OP had followed your advice, he would have screwed up his freshly installed system. Maybe that was your goal, I don't know. At any rate, you seem profoundly disappointed about the fact that SL is running on the OP's computer without a hitch.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Masami Kuramoto wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Classic!  Don't follow my advice to RTFM to acquire basic Linux skills and learn the tools.  Just wonderful!   You are really full of yourself aren't you?  You sure showed me up.  

Why should the OP learn to compile a kernel if all he wants to do is run Second Life? Didn't you get the memo? Linux is mainstream now. People have it on their smartphones and tablets. Hell, I even have it in my bedside clock. What do you think I do in the morning? Launch a shell and enter a command line to turn off the alarm?

If the OP had followed your advice, he would have screwed up his freshly installed system. Maybe that was your goal, I don't know. At any rate, you seem profoundly disappointed about the fact that SL is running on the OP's computer without a hitch.

These^^ are all YOUR words.  I have not written ANY of them in any of my posts.  You are another poster who likes to form an argument around your own words--I guess it is how you 'feel' you win an agrument.

You make way too many assumptions above, but I understand why.  You are in such fear of losing your geek card as you so eloquently wrote in your 2nd post. 

I wrote about RTFM and to learn the tools (my exact words.)  So, when did the kernel become a tool?  Or are you trying to impress me again?  

Storm Clarence wrote:

I wrote about RTFM and to learn the
tools
(my exact words.)  So, when did the kernel become a tool?  Or are you trying to impress me again?  

OK, you didn't get the kernel joke, so let me paraphrase:

Why should someone learn the tools if all he wants to do is run an application?

By the way, you did not only suggest to RTFM. You suggested to make protected system folders writable so that the SL updater would work. Since you insist on accurate quotes, these were your words:

I don't need a lesson on how to create a writable directory structure within the Linux FS hierarchy--the OP needs this lesson.  Perhaps so do you!

After I told you why creating writable directory structures within the FS hierarchy is a bad idea, you replied:

PS Thanks for the lecture on Linux file systems. The OP sure needs it. But, do you think he understood?

I do respect arrogant people if they have the skills and knowledge to justify that arrogance. But you have neither the skills nor the knowledge. Your desire to appear "1337" and make an impression on newbies makes Linux look much more complicated than it actually is. This is why I said people like you give Linux a bad reputation.

Oh, and you didn't get the geek card joke either.

Masami Kuramoto wrote:

I do respect arrogant people if they have the skills and knowledge to justify that arrogance.
But you have neither the skills nor the knowledge.
Your desire to appear "1337" and make an impression on newbies makes Linux look much more complicated than it actually is. This is why I said people like you give Linux a bad reputation.

Oh, and you didn't get the geek card joke either.

Yes, Mas you were full of both humor and yourself in this thread.

Reread the thread Mas and you will find that It is you that offered nothing to the OP

My posts were clearly written in English, not leet.   So maybe this is why you did not understand and as a corollary tried to flex your muscles and defend your position.   I suggested nothing of the sort insofar as what the OP should do outside of learning the tools.  Again, it was you that wrote about 'where' to place the application and then defend your position.  If I answered with anything other than what I wrote I would have to consider myself a hypocrite.

Why a hypocrite you may ask yourself?  Because it is I that wrote the manual.  

Give it up Mas.  

Storm Clarence wrote:

Reread the thread Mas and you will find that It is you that offered nothing to the OP

Wrong. I offered help in case the OP ran into trouble with hybrid graphics on a laptop.

How about you start offering an answer to my question instead of filling your posts with hot air? What is wrong with the way the OP installed Second Life? How exactly should he do it instead? Why "MUST" he learn "the tools"? Why is he going to find himself in a "nightmarish hell" if he doesn't? Those were your terms if I remember correctly.

Oh, and where is that manual you claim to have written? This is your chance to share your infinite wisdom, Storm. Don't let us down now! ;)

Masami Kuramoto wrote:

Storm Clarence wrote:

Wrong. I offered help in case the OP ran into trouble with hybrid graphics on a laptop.

Lol, just simply lol.  

ETA: Now I see your humor! 

• 7 months later...

use linux mint 14   

1st      download wine

2nd    download firestorm windows version dont run save in downloads

3#       goto your home folder goto downloads now right click and open with wine

4#        start secondlife you will get a server erorr or some thing dont worry just close it

5#         when second life starts at the bottom will be an option to use phoenix use it its better

6#         top right go to options lower the graphics

7#         up the network speed to 1400

thats it the only thing i cant get to run is the cinema meg4 movies have fun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.