Shop Decoration

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying to make a board in 3D max as well as the advertised item in Photoshop. Everytime I upload it to aditi to check, its totally blurry. I made the box and the display item in the same size. In Photoshop the texture is clear and detailed but as soon as put on the plane in Aditi, it blurrs .... what am I doing wrong? Is there a "How To" anywhere I can follow? Help highly appreciated :)

Not quite enough info to tell what the problem is. There are a few things.

You uploaded graphic needs to be square and "power of 2" I think it is called. So typically 512 x 512 or 1024 x 512 etc. If you graphic is actully 4:3 ratio or something other than square, you need to make it square (and sharpen) BEFORE you upload.

The uploader automatically turns the png or tga into a jpg so you will lose some clarity. If you really NEED things to be super clear, you can upload a 1024 x 1024 but remember that those are FOUR TIMES larger (with corresponding download times) so if it is a vendor it might take awhile to load for some folks.

If that isn't it, then putting in some screenshots so we can see your mesh and the mapping of it would be helpful :D.

My alt was uploading over on Aditi today with no unusual issues so most likely not an Aditi issue.

You can also testing using local textures on your computer without uploading. Put a dot in the "local" radio button in the build menu. Sure Google can tell you more about if needed.  

The board I am trying to paste the picture on is 452 x 1024. The design in Photoshop is 512 x 1024, hugh resolution, extremely clear legible, rasterized text etc. The textures are 1024 x 1024 tga 32 bit and 24, tried both. Also tried a .png and a jpeg and it is still constantly blurry. An example below:

If the board I am pasting it on is 452 x 1024 .... what on earth size (PX) does my design need to be? Also, if I make a prim and paste it, same problem :(

The original image in photoshop:

452 x1024? I guess that's centimeters?

Stretching a 1024px texture over ten meters will result in some blurriness indeed. What you could try instead is splitting the texture into the background, and applying the important parts as decals on separate materials/faces.

But prim faces don't have pixels.  They have physical dimensions (0.5 m x 1.0 m or whatever).  The pixel density on a face depends on each user's equipment and on how much of the screen the face covers.  If you are close enough to a prim face that it fills your entire screen, you could have 1920x 1080 pixels on it (or whatever your own screen resolution is).  That same face, viewed from halfway across a region, might use only a few pixels. How sharp or blurry it is depends on the pixel resolution of your original image and on how many pixels are actually available for displaying it on the user's monitor.

For example, if your own texture was made in Photoshop to be 1024 x 512 pixels -- remember that you must use power of 2 dimensions, so 452 doesn't work -- then you may see every single detail sharply even if it fills the entire screen.  If your original texture was only 128 x 64 pixels, it would only be seen at its original sharpness if you used less than 0.4% of the screen area to display it.  If you get close enough to the face so that it fills the entire screen, it will be so blurry that it will be unrecognizable.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2852 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.