Phototools Depth of Field problem ..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello all.  Have a question to see if anyone else has this issue or maybe has an idea of how to fix or what to look for.  I've taken pics for years in SL and have used the DOF option since it came about.  Have always loved the results.  Now of late, when I set up my picture and I take it, the full screen preview shows me that the depth of field effect is gone.  It's on my screen when screen is 'active' but when the pic is taken, it's gone.  So all of my picture is clear with no effect.  Anyone have any idea of what might be going on?  A new setting in newer Firestorm build?  Anything?  Because I'm at a complete loss and would really like to get the effect working in my pictures again. . 

Thanks all for your time and any help you might be able to offer in advance.  

~ Matt

Are you saving your snapshots at a larger size then your window size?

If so, the DOF effect on the saved snapshots will be less pronounced. The larger size you save your image, the less effect you will see from DOF.

This isn't a new problem, it's been this way ever since DOF was added as a feature and the LL viewer also has this bug.

There is a JIRA issue filed for the bug at BUG-4643 - Depth of field doesn't scale with resolution of snapshots

Coby Foden wrote:

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

There is a JIRA issue filed for the bug at

"Permission violation" on that bug report page. Not available for everybody to view?

Gah!  Yes sorry, that issue was filed while the JIRA was mutilated by Rodvik  grrrr.

Here are 2 other public JIRA issues reporting the same bug:

LL: VWR-26497 - Lose DOF when taking snapshot

Firestorm: FIRE-13989 - [bUG-4643] [ MAINT-3549] Depth of field doesn't scale with resolution of snapshots.

Whirly Fizzle wrote:

Ahhh that's expected behaviour.

DOF has never been active when freeze frame is enabled.

Which is silly, Singularity does it beautifully. Which is why I am using Firestorm for my daily driver, but when out taking photos switch over to singu to pose my DOF enabled photos in freeze frame.

• 2 years later...
On 1/18/2016 at 2:19 PM, Matt Bonham said:

Hello all.  Have a question to see if anyone else has this issue or maybe has an idea of how to fix or what to look for.  I've taken pics for years in SL and have used the DOF option since it came about.  Have always loved the results.  Now of late, when I set up my picture and I take it, the full screen preview shows me that the depth of field effect is gone.  It's on my screen when screen is 'active' but when the pic is taken, it's gone.  So all of my picture is clear with no effect.  Anyone have any idea of what might be going on?  A new setting in newer Firestorm build?  Anything?  Because I'm at a complete loss and would really like to get the effect working in my pictures again. . 

Thanks all for your time and any help you might be able to offer in advance.  

~ Matt

I'm having the same issue quite suddenly (using the latest FS release) - posted in the tech forum.

Not seeing DoF at all since roughly 6 or 7 hours ago;  it's become an 'all or nothing' effect - as in, everything is either blurred, or everything is sharp.

Out of habit, I reset everything back to default once I've finished a shoot, so it's not that - and I've never used 'freeze frame' or 'auto refresh'.

Am out of ideas. Have checked all my settings again and again to no avail.

Hope someone knows what's going on - would be good to know it's not just me.

• 1 year later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1649 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.