Can we brainstorm a more fair way to aproach contests/competitions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Eileen Fellstein wrote:

Everyone has made terrific points!

I don't agree with everything to the letter of everything said but I think as a collective, it's been a pretty accurate assesment of the situation.

In my mind there's 2 important angles that sort of clash and work against one another. The 1st is the use of these contests with the primary purpose being to draw traffic in the hopes that that equals profit. That usually collides head 1st with those looking for something fun to do that are optomistic that most things are reasonably fair.

Anyone that knows me knows how fighting mad I can get over IP tracking. To me, there's not a single thing in this pixel prim world that excuses anyone but Lindens from using that information without the express written consent of the individual involved. So just for me personally, I'd rather see no contests than to have people resorting to that, especially over what is usually about 1 dollar USD worth of L$.

I don't think measures that drastic are necessary though, nor have they ever been. I do think people were a little too willing to turn over a task that needs to be handled by a responsible and trustworthy person or group of people to a scrpted object.

What I do think the answer is though is to put the focus back on fun long enough to see that it generates far more traffic in the end than any amount of gimmicks or gadgetry.

Just an example. How many people love to take pictures of their avi or others? And there is without a doubt many wonderful photgraphers around the grid. Woudn't it be wonderful to spend time doing your best creative shoot for a contest with the confidence that your submissions are being judged fairly, whether you have the time or money to drag friends and neighbor there and fill up some contest board with lindens? I'm guessing even for those that didn't win, it would be a sheer joy just to go look at all the amazing submissions.

These two things are not mutually exclusive if the contest is supervised and run by by people with integrity.

My personal favorite club is one where there is no mall, no tip jars, no mention of Linden Love, no contest board and only a rare contest.  Most of the time it isn't even in search and events are just announced in the clubs group which is not even open enrollment.  New people show up because they were personally invited by a regular or just happen to stumble on it like i did my first night in SL.  You only get invited into the club group  it if you contribute to the fun and don't cause drama. If you cause a problem, and continue you after being told to stop once, you are booted and banned immediately without warning, fairly and with full justification.  Once in a while there may be a contest just for fun sake and really no one cares who wins the very modest amount given as a token prize  The winner usually tips it back to the club owner.  Its more about light hearted 'bragging rights' and seeing the stuff people will wear or do just for fun.  Yet the club has been around for 8 years and while it doesn't have huge traffic it does have a large and loyal core group of regulars that have also gone there for years and that tip generously on their own without being reminded because they truely like and support the club.

Unfortunately not every venue owner gets that concept just like they don't get all those voting stations that are still around that the staff still asks you to slap to "make us number one":  Those haven't worked for years now and just contribute to lag.

IP Tracking is against LL's policy policy, as they made clear when they banned redzone and issued new TPV rules and I encourage anyone that runs into it in any form to AR the people involved with it.

Syo Emerald wrote:

So, only native speaker can win? Cause all trivia games I see around are language based and people who speak English since their childhood will win every contest, they are faster and make less mistakes.

Trubble w/ trivia contests is that the fastest typer wins ...

Jeanne

My personal favorite club is one where there is no mall, no tip jars, no mention of Linden Love, no contest board and only a rare contest.  

__

Where did you find this unicorn?

__

Dillon: Trivia contest is a good thing too usually. You get the odd person who seems to go to all of them and has the questions memorized - because a lot of places use the note cards that come with the purchased machines. But a lot of the trivia contests are pretty fair and easy and not a bad way to make a few L$. 

Melita Magic wrote:

My personal favorite club is one where there is no mall, no tip jars, no mention of Linden Love, no contest board and only a rare contest.  

__

Where did you find this unicorn?

__

I dont think this is too uncommon .. 1uv my favorite DJs ~my sister's partner actually~ got fed up w/ the DJ grind, quit all her scheduled club gigs & now just DJs private parties .. she still has a loyal following & notices go out when shes doing a set but its always @ a friends place or somewhere ..  i guess ppl can still tip her but she no long puts out the jar ..

several well known DJs may still do their regular club gigs but their best sets take place on private sims w/ only invited ppl or group members .. often theres no tip jar or sploders or gesturbation or any of the usual annoying club stuff .. nothing but rockin tunage & fun convo ..sl @ its best !!

Jeanne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.