if a known sex offender in real life is on secondlife and there is proof of it does that get that pe

Wolf Fralto

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Irene's right.  Linden Lab's own TOS don't include an automatic exclusion for someone like that.  It's quite possible, however, that the local RL laws or the conditions of that person's release/probation/treatment give some guidance -- perhaps even specific requirements.  He may be forbidden to use public social platforms on the Internet, for example.  Only the RL authorities will know if that's so, and they are the ones responsible for monitoring it. 

I suggest reading LL's policy on age play >> https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Clarification_of_policy_disallowing_ageplay  as well as the Community Standards >>> https://secondlife.com/corporate/cs.php .  I also caution you to read the Comunity Standards for your own guidance.  In particular, note that "Sharing personal information about your fellow Residents without their consent -- including gender, religion, age, marital status, race, sexual preference, alternate account names, and real-world location beyond what is provided by them in their Resident profile -- is not allowed."

• Like 1

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Wolf.

If there is suspicion, or if there is proof, it's the duty of residents to submit an abuse report. Linden Lab will not, however, listen to heresay.

Clarification can be found in the links given in other posts in this thread.

Note particularly (taken from http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Clarification_of_policy_disallowing_ageplay    )

secksoffender.jpg

I appreciate that you have used the term "sex offender" and that you are not speaking about pedophilia; however, it is to be hoped that LL also report to the appropriate authorities anything they believe to be illegal that takes place inside Second Life.  

Terms of Service, 11.4

11.4 We may suspend or terminate your Account(s) to protect the best interests of Second Life and the Second Life community or if we believe you pose an unacceptable risk to the Second Life community.

We may suspend or terminate your Account if we determine in our discretion that such action is necessary or advisable to comply with legal requirements or protect the rights or interests of Linden Lab, the Second Life community or any third party.

We may suspend or terminate your Account(s) if we learn, or in good faith believe, that you are a Registered Sex Offender, that accessing Second Life may violate a condition of parole or probation, that you have engaged in or attempted to engage in conduct with minors on the Service that violates this Agreement, or that you for any other reason may pose what we deem to be an unacceptable risk to the Second Life community.

I take that to mean that, while it's certainly grounds for teminating an account, it would depend on the circumstances.

For what it's worth, if someone told me someone else in SL was a registered sex offender, I'd wonder how my informant knew.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4407 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.