sculpts

AshleyNicolle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I would agree.  OR they could rename this forum to  MESH & SCULPTS since honestly most creators of mesh are still or have been long time creators of Sculpties.

There is still a big market for sculpty so any chit chat on it or questions on it is valid.

Unitl then (or even if this were to happen) feel free to ask Sculpty questions in here since there is no specific place in the community forums to place sculpty topics and the experts are in this forum.

Added Comment: Although I suspect LL doesnt want to promote Sculpty so they would not be agreeable in renaming this forum to MESH & SCULPTS even though it would be a logical idea.

While I don't disagree with you, I have to say I'm far less concerned about the lack of a dedicated sculpty forum than I am about the disappearance of the texturing forum.  The decision to merge the texturing forum into the building forum made no sense whatseover. 

Texturing is its own topic, and the information the texturing forum contained was highly valuable.  Now that it's intermixed with information on building, it's much harder to find.

Also, it's just not logical.  It implies that somehow only prim builds are textured, while mesh models are not.  That's silly.

I've also wondered why there was no Sculptie Forum.  I still mainly work with sculpties.  I was already to switch to mesh only but the PE is still way too high especially on large mesh.  I also enjoy the challenge of pushing sculptie technology as far as I can.

Morgaine Christensen wrote:

While detail is nice and mesh makes things look far more realistic, as a builder, I hope sculpts will not go away anytime soon.     When I build something, I have to balance out cost for a project vs how many prims it will be and how detailed. Currently, sculpts win hands down.

Sculpties are FAR from a dead / dying technology in SL.  They still serve a huge value.... specially for 3D shapes that are large / very large like my Landscaping sculpty business.  My sales of my landscape sculpty packs have noticed no decline in sales since Mesh showed up and I suspect because of the huge Mesh-Only LI penalties for the size of a mesh, sculpties will be around for a long time to come.

Add:  you also need to take into account that unlike Mesh, sculpties are well understood in SL by builders and users and the variety of Scuplty shapes on the SL market dwarves the current offering of Mesh.  It will take a lot of time for Mesh to have something close to the size of available products that sculpty has built up over the past 3-4 years. 

Then there is also the slow acceptance / adoption of mesh on the grid.  It is no where near the adoption rate that LL and a lot of Mesh lovers had envisioned.  I still have a lot of visitors to my art gallery that say they cant see my mesh art models... and even those that do tell me "wiat a minute let me relog onto my mesh capable viewer".   This means a lot of SL residents only use the newer viewers to see mesh when they need to.

Soooo Sculpties are still a viable technology on the grid and market.

I surely hope they don't make this a mesh/sculpty forum. I think it would just create more confusion since the workflows for mesh assests and sculpt maps are so different. If anything, they should add seperate forums for sculpts maps and textures.

As for sculpt maps beating mesh hands down with prim count, I'd have to disagree. If you know what you are doing, you can get good prim counts with mesh. I'd say the only exception is really large items, such as landscapes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4427 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.