Edited copy of object won't re-attach to same place!

Amie Kaestner

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have this top with spikes on. I wanted to make a copy of it that didn't have the top included and re-attach that to my avatar to wear. I made a copy, unlinked it the copy, deleted the parts I didn't want then re-linked the remaining parts, named it the same as the original and selected "wear."

But it ended up attaching to my right hand. I'm really lost on how to do this.

4 answers to this question

Hi. The default attachment point is the right hand. Choose attach instead of wear and attach it to the proper attachment point.

You can wear your original and see what body part it is attached to, probably the spine or something similar for a top. You can also just attach it to wherever you want like stomach or something and edit it from there.

Regardless, once you get it how you want and detach it, the next time you wear it it will go back to the same spot as when you took it off.  

• Like 1

The default attachment point for any object that you wear is your right hand, so that's where it ends up unless you specify.  When you make a copy, it doesn't carry a memory of where the original was attached, so you have to position it.  It's really quite easy.  Right click on the copy in your inventory and select "Attach to ..." and then select the attachment point that you want to use.  The object will attach to that spot right away.  It will also look funky because you still need to adjust its position. So, stand on a pose stand so that you don't keep wiggling around, and then select the object with your Build/Edit tool (CTRL + 3).  Use the red/green/blue arrows to move it into position and then hold down the CTRL key and use the red/green/blue circles to rotate it gently.  It takes a small amount of practice to make the gentle movements you will need for a perfect adjustment, but you can do it.  Once you have the object where you want it, detach it back to inventory.  When you wear it again, it will remember how you placed it, so you never need to do that again.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.