Encroaching objects... I'm at my wits end!

Jebediah Brown

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hugsy Penguin wrote:

Nice!

Just tested it.  Alt's object totally on neighbor's land, I could not return (expected behavior).  Move the object so that it's root is still on neighbor's land but encroaches slightly, and I could return it.

This is good.

It doesn't work. Maybe it was only a short test period, but, whatever it was, it doesn't work now.

Alas, while the "allow_return_encroaching_object" sim parameter is indeed set to TRUE and allows to return encroaching objects which have not been rezzed with the land group, the "allow_return_encroaching_estate_object" parameter is still FALSE, meaning that if the land where the encroaching object got an open group and the one rezzing the object did use that group, or if your indelicate neighbour encroaches your parcel with their builds, you will not be able to return the encroaching objects...

Please, could you set allow_return_encroaching_estate_object to TRUE on mainland ?...

I seems a bit hit and miss. When I tried to return a griefer zombie that encroached my land, I wasn't given the option to return it, and I thought that the new feature doesn't work any more. Today I've managed to return three of them but there two others that also encroach my land and I'm not given the option to return them. So the new feature is much better than no feature but it's not perfect.

I'm not sure what you mean by "wasn't given the option to return it".  In the official viewer (v3.2.8) and Firestorm (v4.0.1), the option is always enabled.  When selected, you get the "are you sure" dialog (if you didn't turn it off).  If you OK the dialog, the object will either disapper or you'll get a message that it won't return due to permissions.

Also, I've noticed that an unrotated cube has to overhang by 0.005m or more.  So there's a small buffer there.  I didn't test sculpts, meshes, or Linden plants.

The Return option isn't enabled when you don't have the authority to return an object. That's what I meant. It wasn't enabled so I wasn't given the option to return the two zombies that overhang my land by a small amount.

If we can't return anything that overhangs by less than 0.5m, then that may be why I don't get the option. They are transparent, spinning cubes (much larger than 0.5m) with a larger particle plane, but the spinning cubes only encroach a small amount.

I've read somewhere that there's a minimum overhang, but I know from experience that it's much, much smaller than 0.5m.

You mentioned that the object is spinning; if the object only overhangs during part of its spin, then that would explain it not being returnable, assuming the spin is non-physical llTargetOmega(), which is a viewer-only effect.

I wonder what viewer you're using, such that Return isn't enabled when you can't return something.  That's pretty smart, although it would have to populate on-demand from the sim, so maybe you need to wait a bit longer for it to be enabled? Anyway, like Hugsy, I get the Return option for everything, whether I should or not, with the Linden viewer I'm using (a beta, 3.3.0.250306, but I think it's the same in all recent versions).

I'm using Phoenix - the very latest version.

I'd wondered if I might have more success if I catch the spinning cubes at a point in their spin when they overhang the most, but I haven't tried. When I first tried to return their brothers, I wasn't given the Return option (that's when I posted that it doesn't work) but when I tried the next time, I was given it and I returned them. So it's possible that that was the reason.

ETA: I went to try it but the zombies had already disappeared.

• 2 weeks later...

I got to test this today, where it crossed a sim line. It could be better. Whether I could return it depended on where I stood. Sometimes I had to be on my sim, and sometimes on theirs. For one object, I moved a few steps (in the same sim) and suddenly I could return it. So if it isn't highlighting as returnable, try moving around.

But there was one object that stuck over by 15m that it refused to return. I don't know why, as it clearly encroaches more than any of the other items.

... if it isn't highlighting as returnable...

I'm still confused by this.  Have you tried with a viewer that doesn't have this highlighting ability?

If that doesn't work, I'd like to see this 15m encroacher.  That seems very odd indeed.  Odd, even for crossing sim borders in my experience... but on the other hand I've seen enough inscrutable cross-sim phenomena unrelated to encroachment that nothing would surprise me.

Qie Niangao wrote:

... if it isn't highlighting as returnable...

I'm still confused by this.  Have you tried with a viewer that doesn't have this highlighting ability?

If that doesn't work, I'd like to see this 15m encroacher.  That seems very odd indeed.  Odd, even for crossing sim borders in my experience... but on the other hand I've seen enough inscrutable cross-sim phenomena
unrelated
to encroachment that nothing would surprise me.

My viewer greys out the option if it isn't possible to return. I didn't try another viewer, as I didn't have that much time. Today, it let me return the wall. I can't say why for sure, but I think the owner had been back to the plot and may have edited the item.

I did screenshot it, so if it happens with other objects, maybe I'll figure out a trend.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.